Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Ouch,... I shouldn't ditched my K-x too fast..

02-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #17
Banned

Original Poster
Some people say that a new firmware is imminent for K5. It could be possible to have a new firmware for Kr, too?

Last edited by ursamajor; 03-01-2011 at 07:55 AM.
03-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
Banned

Original Poster
I'll wait one more week for this hypothetical fix, then I'll buy a Canon body. Shame on Pentax and its mode to treat the owners and possible customers.
03-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #19

I understand that Pentax will be exhibiting at the Focus on Imaging show in Birmingham, UK. If anyone from this board attends, could you press the Pentax reps for more information on any forthcoming firmware update? It would be useful to have a better sense of timing.

In my own case, I'm trying to decide whether to hold out for the K-r fix or get the K-x. I'd be gutted if I went for the K-x only to find the fix for the K-r released shortly thereafter! (although I appreciate that's always going to be a risk). I have a couple of good old F-series lenses which I'd rather be able to use again, so not seriously contemplating another brand just yet...

03-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
As time passes, I believe increasingly stronger that the problem is hardware, like I already said it on other threads.
03-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matso, I was considering selling my K-x (and a few lenses) to upgrade to the K-r. I wanted the AF indicators, time lapse and increased ISO. But after reading everything about the K-r and K-5 focus problems, I decided to look into the K-7.

It doesn't have the high sensitivity of the K-r, but it has 100% coverage of a pentaprism viewfinder, time-lapse, and higher resolution (to name a few features). I bought one used (on this forum) for about the same price as a K-r and I am looking forward to receiving it today. I do a lot of manual focus photography, so the better viewfinder (with potential for interchangeable focusing screens) is important to me. The two additional stops of sensitivity (and lower noise) that the K-r offers may be more important to you.
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
Can you test whether the last results on the K5 topic are valid for Kr too?
They say that the camera must be reset to factory settings, then the AF fine tuning set to OFF, neither to 0 (zero). See here.
Thanks in advance.
03-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
Speaking about fw update, I just spoken to a Live Chat assistent:

Michael C: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support, how may I help you?
Me: hello
Me: tell me please, when we will have a firmware update for Kr, to correct tje front focus in tungsten issue?
Me: the
Michael C: we do not have any information on a firmware update at this time
Me: oops
Me: some users from Pentaxforums say that Pentax knows about front focus issue and that a firmware update is imminent
Me: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/128330-yet-another-k-r-a...00-1-01-a.html
Michael C: we are aware of it but Japan has not officially released any information to us about any updates
Me: ok, so nothing official for now
Me: I'm waiting this fix from 2 months...
Me: I already returned a Kr and taken money back
Michael C: nothing official as of yet, no sir
Me: I want to re-buy the Kr, but... without issues
Me: ok, thanks
Michael C: You're welcome
Michael C: Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: Just this problem.... really a big one
Michael C: I understand
Michael C: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support, have a great day!
Me: ok, bye and thanks again
Michael C: You're welcome

03-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter

what is damaging pentax hoya's (dslr) reputation to date is their tight lipped mentality/attitude in addressing the focus issues affecting the k-r and k-5. i, like many others, would love to be able to progress up the technology ladder with pentax, but simply hate the concept of buying a dslr which is in fact compromised, limiting most who procure the k-r and k-5, in their abilities to shoot in low(er) light settings.... which is patently unacceptable....
i want/desire a k-5 to provide me the opportunity to have an improved dslr body than my k-x, a dslr with greater capability to focus and lock more quickly, a quieter shutter, weather sealed, and an increase of 4mp of resolution.... it's not an ill conceived want for the latest and greatest simply because it's the newest offering......
that's why i never buy the newest of anything, all new models have some niggling issues, but, compared to pentax hoya, are resolved in a much more expeditious manner.... and routinely with prompt and full disclosure to the marketplace....
... this just seems so illogical for pentax hoya to have dealt so feebly with this focus issue, as it cannot possibly help their dslr retail sales on a global level......
let's not forget that pentax hoya is a very large global concern, a diversified entity, and they DO have deep enough pockets to have addressed their imaging department's k-5 and k-r problems with greater finesse and expediency..........
for now, will enjoy my trustworthy k-x (knock on wood) until i/we can be assured that we aren't gonna get the short end of the stick as customers.........
btw, what do ya think is gonna happen if the silver k-5 is low light goofy too?????
it ain't gonna be pretty............. that's for sure.....
(p.s. pentax had been questioned about the silver 5 as to whether all previous problems have been resolved in this premium priced body, the response....pentax japan has no comment.... what a surprise......
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #25

@ Designosophy - the additional sensitivity is exactly what I'm after, so the K-r fits the bill like no other in the price range.

@dcmsox2004 - I find it incredible that Pentax/Hoya have seemingly done absolutely no damage control on this issue in the North American and European markets (don't follow the Asian boards, so I have no idea). I mean, it affects both of their current models and at least for the K-5, I would imagine the buyers are largely sophisticated enough to read up on the camera before parting with hard-earned cash. So this has got to be fairly serious for them in terms of lost revenue. Any company without an on-line strategy or willingness to engage with its customers in social media (ie. this forum and others) is not playing the game well anymore.
03-05-2011, 03:22 AM   #26
Banned

Original Poster
I bet it will not issue any update until the end of March. I'm just curious how long it will take the mockery from Pentax.
03-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #27
Banned

Original Poster
Sad but TRUE.

Read at super-negatives <link removed> and about inferior after sales support.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.
03-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
<Link Removed> Sad but TRUE.

Read at super-negatives<Link Removed> and about inferior after sales support.
.... rice high is an embittered ex forum member... who has an axe to grind with anything and everything pentax..... pentax imaging is most certainly not going to issue a 'peep' regarding a prospective firmware update, for the k-r and k-5.... either because one is not imminent, or still exhaustively beta testing it to ensure that when released, will cure what ails these cameras....
gotta have faith.... in the alternative, if an efficacious update is not released in the next 30-60 days, this situation is only gonna get uglier, on a global basis...
and pentax hoya can't afford that scenario...... dave m

Last edited by Parallax; 03-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.
03-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #29
Banned

Original Poster
I don't know him and I don't care who is he, but, as ordinary customer, I agree with most of his points of view.
03-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #30

How can you agree with such a statement:

"The latest SAFOX IX/+ never focus properly except at outdoor and on bright days!"

That is just not true...