Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-r Shutter Noise

Hey Everyone,

I just received my Pentax K-R today and found the shutter noise quite odd. When compared to my Pentax K-X, it sounds the same when the mirror goes up, but when it goes down, it has a slightly high pitched sound. The best way to describe it would be for my:

Pentax K-X: It sounds like a deep click, click

on my Pentax K-R: It sounds like a deep click, and a high pitch zing

Can other Pentax K-R users confirm that this is the normal shutter sound that they get? Also, if you are a Pentax K-X user that has a Pentax K-R now, please chime in and tell me if you heard a different noise.

Thanks!

02-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

I don't have a K-x, but used a DS for three years.

I actually think that what you describe is what I hear in the DS. Like the shutter is more metallic, springy kind of thing.

The K-r shutter (at least mine) is while not THAT quiet, is more softer and has no metallic twang as the DS.
02-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused by your reply, but what I gather, your K-r does not have this metallic, springy kind of sound to it. I love the sound of the shutter of the K-x albeit it is loud, but clean and deep. The K-r sound is a little erratic and so I am thinking I got a bad copy. I'm looking into ways to exchange this out because I like all the other features of the K-r right now.
02-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #4

Bottom line is my K-r doesn't have the metallic sound. You may want for other K-r owners to post.

02-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Banned

The shutter noise on my (refused) Kr was like at old SLRs, something like a short "klank!". Nothing metallic, amortized rather. Anyway, I preffered the sound of my old Canon 350D, more soft and a little metallic.
02-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I noticed something like that 'twang' sound with my k-r a couple of times shortly after I first got it.
Not sure what caused it, but it made me a little curious.
Normally it doesn't do that though.
02-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kangeroo82 Quote

Pentax K-X: It sounds like a deep click, click

on my Pentax K-R: It sounds like a deep click, and a high pitch zing

Also, if you are a Pentax K-X user that has a Pentax K-R now, please chime in and tell me if you heard a different noise.
G'day Kanga,

I fit into your last category, I own both models.
Best I can describe, in all honesty, is that there is zero real perceptible aural difference in the two.

If anything the K-r is ever-so slightly quieter, at this stage I put this down to it being newer, having less actions and less wear.

Describing like you did is hard, but I suppose I'd call the K-r sounding a more a click-click~swish, or maybe click-kerchick noise (like a faster, newer object "smell"? ), against the K-x more click-kerlick (more solid and clunky, undampened) like you say.

And I do expect that once it gets "run in", like most electro-mechanical apparatus, that just like my K-x it too will settle down to about the same for the rest of its lifespan (that is; until ultimate, imminent failure).

Compared to my 2 Canon thingys anyway, both Pentax sound more like a 1938 Ukrainian tractor that's seen better days.

The fact that you notice and mention it here suggests (to me anyway) that it stands out enough to you to be concerning and real, not imagined.

One more quick "test" if you haven't done this -- and this is important Btw because I know K-r can be put into modes where the shutter will act weird and slow[ed], thereby affecting its sound.

1. Flip the side body switch from AF up to M (manual focus)
2. Put the rotary Modes dial onto M

That will put the K-r in machine-gun mode™ so you can rapid fire away without any stalling delay for it to hesitate to get focus.
See what it sounds like then.

Sorry all that's probably not much help, but perhaps you might try to have it compared to other K-r(s) if possible. A friend or local Pentax dealer perhaps?

If not, by all means swim over the pond and you're very welcome to try mine if you want.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-24-2011 at 11:22 AM.
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the input Hypo. I kept reading that there wasn't really that much of a difference between the K-x and the K-r and so that's why I was really surprised by the difference in my K-r. When I get back home, I'll try the machine-gun mode to see if it makes a difference. I'll also try to test out a new k-r this weekend to see if they are indeed the same. I'll keep everyone updated.

02-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey All,

Sorry for the witch hunt, but after trying out another model there was no difference in the sound. The full manual mode didn't change the sound either, but thanks for the suggestion. I guess the best way to describe it is kind of like an electronic stapler. I'm just going to have to live with it, but definitely prefer the sound made by my Pentax K-x. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
01-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #10

Hi i bought a pentax k-r camera a couple of months ago and i too have this clicking noise. When your clicking noise happens does it not let you take any pictures and keeps constantly clicking if you switch it into live view? I was told by one of my photography teachers that it was because of the lens not being correctly into the camera. so when this clicking noise happened i turned my camera lens as far as it would go to the left and then turned my camera off. when i turned my camera back on the clicking noise went but every so often the clicking noise comes back. hope this helped!
01-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a Km and a Kr and the Kr is louder and a little crisper than the Km

Hans
01-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

sammie....we had the same.........update the firmware
01-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The K-r definitely has a loud, characteristic mirror/shutter sound. I've noticed it changes quite a bit with different lenses though. It's quieter with old, solid lenses, and more hollow sounding with the plastic kit lens. That's just the sound damping effect of whatever is mounted on it. If it's not misbehaving, don't worry about it.
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #14

sorry i dont know a lot about camera's but whats the firmware?
01-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Firmware is the software supporting the camera - You can find the firmware on the Pentax site or searching around here for a download link. Usually the firmware, once downloaded, will require you to put a file onto the camera's memory card (the main directory is usually what it says, which where you are in when you go into the memory card). Then there's a process to load the firmware in the camera which is described either in the readme file or instructions on the website. This will update the software inside the camera to the latest "firmware".