Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

K-r will be my first! But where??

Hello all, I am new here and am excited to join this forum!

After extensive research (my boss would probably not appreciate the amount of time I have spent doing this), I have decided to purchase the K-r as my first dSLR.
I was originally looking at the K-x and the comparable Canon and Nikon models, but it seems like the K-r is the way to go when you consider optical quality, price, functions, etc.
I am new to the dSLR world. The vast majority of my photos will be of kids, kids' sports, wildlife, scenery, etc. I am looking at the K-r kit that includes the DA L 55-300. From what I've read, this could be a good lens for me to start with.
I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered before on this forum, but I really need some good advise on which online retailer to go through. Needless to say, there are a ridiculous amount of "retailers" out there and it seems like you can interpret the reviews any way you want.
I am leaning towards B&H, however, they are a little more expensive than some of the others (Tri-state, Abe's) and I do need to be conscious of $$.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and I can't wait to get this going!!

Chad

02-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adomara and B&H are two good places to buy from and they will not call you and try to upsell you as some of those retailers with lower prices will.
02-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hi my name is chuck... I'm new but I plan to spend alot of time on this forum...

I am moving from a P&S camera to a DSLR and from all my research I have settled here... more specifically the Pentax K-R...

Chad... I am EXACTLY where you are now... I am watching all the online retailers for the last few days... here is what I found so far...

NW $756.19 Free shipping (on back order)
B&H $804.00 Free Shipping (in stock)
Amazon $804.00 Free SS Shipping (in stock)
Provantage $744.40 Shipping ?? (3 to 4 weeks delivery) (special order)
Abe's $742.95 Free shipping (in stock)
Tri-State $809.00 Free Shipping (stock ?) (has extras for that price)
Adorama $804.00 Free Shipping (stock ?) (has an extra package for $847.45)

I was hoping to find one under $700 with the 300mm lens... I'm still waiting and watching... has anyone purchased it for under $700?

Chukers

Last edited by chukers; 02-25-2011 at 07:28 PM.
02-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shop around, but do buy from a good-reputation dealer. Adorama and B&H are reputed sellers and you can be confident of the quality of the service. If you are not in rush, wait for their promotion every so often.

In any case, do buy only from a good reputation dealer... You do not want your dream to become your nightmare.

Last edited by hcc; 02-26-2011 at 02:17 AM.
02-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

That is what I am hoping for... a promotion... I am patiently waiting for the right deal... I am hoping this thread or one of the others I'm watching will list a special... I am ready to buy! Remember your first DSLR? how exciting it was to be moving into a "real" camera... well I'm there now... I can't wait to get my hands on it! I appreciate all the comments and help you guys offer... I bet Chad is feeling the same way!

Chuck
02-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
I am feeling exactly the same way!! My little Nikon CoolPix is a neat little camera, but I am ready to move into a whole new world of photography.
A promo code would be nice, but I don't know if I will have Chuck's patience!
I am leaning towards B&H.....I have worked with them before (years ago I was a videographer), and they were awesome. Plus, after exploring this forum I noticed the relationship between this community of Pentax users and B&H. Hopefully I can place the order next week, just waiting on a bonus check!

Chad
02-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

I'm not an American, nor ever used B&H (or adomrama) but from spending the last few years on various photographic forums, I would certainly be willing to pay that teeny bit extra to buy from one of those two if it were me. I have only ever read very high praise for both, and when things have occasionally gone wrong, the response from both seems exemplary. Just my tuppence worth (or two cents if you prefer, lol).

Just watch those retailers who are signifcantly lower priced; invariably the goods are either out of stock (contrary to what their site says), grey imports, or there's hidden charges - not to mention real hassel if things go wrong.

woody

02-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
I'm not an American, nor ever used B&H (or adomrama) but from spending the last few years on various photographic forums, I would certainly be willing to pay that teeny bit extra to buy from one of those two if it were me. I have only ever read very high praise for both, and when things have occasionally gone wrong, the response from both seems exemplary. Just my tuppence worth (or two cents if you prefer, lol).

Just watch those retailers who are signifcantly lower priced; invariably the goods are either out of stock (contrary to what their site says), grey imports, or there's hidden charges - not to mention real hassel if things go wrong.

woody
Yeah I totally agree with you... what's 800 dollars if you are already going to spend 700... well ya see I started out only being able to spend 400 then I found out what DLSR's are and what they can do... so I wanted to get K-x so now I am up to 500... and then I found the K-R so I'm up to 600... then I found out the price of lenses so I see the K-R kits with the 300mm lens is a great deal... so now I am at 800... so ya see... I am already way over budget... but I know it'll be worth it even at 800 dollars... but I gotta save every little bit I can because I am actually spending twice what I originally intended!

Chuck

Thank for your opinions...
02-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #9

I bought mine with the 55-300 and 18-55 lenses from Tri-State about 3 weeks ago for $719. It went up to $789 the next day. I just checked it today and it is $769. I had good luck with them but they did try to upsell me when I called in to ask a question.

By the way, I love the camera! My first DSLR so I am right there with you.
02-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawman98 Quote
I bought mine with the 55-300 and 18-55 lenses from Tri-State about 3 weeks ago for $719. It went up to $789 the next day. I just checked it today and it is $769. I had good luck with them but they did try to upsell me when I called in to ask a question.

Where in Texas are you?
02-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Forum Member

I just wish I could get the white K-R with the 300mm lens... don't care if its a black lens... I just like the white body...

Chukers
02-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Forum Member

here is the list I am watching... anyone have others?

Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera with PENTAX-DA 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses (Black)

Chukers
02-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by chukers Quote
Where in Texas are you?
Lubbock.
02-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

Lubbock.
Cool... I am around the Abilene area...

Chuck
02-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #15
Forum Member

I probably would of jumped at that... I can't wait....