Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-R DNG files and CS5

Okay last night I was doing some PP work on some photos we took yesterday. While I was editing some DNG files that I took in B&W they appeared correctly in Faststone but when edited in CS5 they turned back into color photos. I don't believe this to be an issue with the K-R but instead it is how CS5 read the files.

I suppose I am asking is do I need to install the software that came with the camera or do I need to get the most recent update for CS5 RAW converter program. I am also curious to know if anyone else has noticed this occurring with B&W DNG files and CS5.

Thanks,
Jeffery

02-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #2

I think a digital camera can only capture full color, and "b&w" is actually a filter applied post-capture, whether by the camera or during post. So, your RAW DNG contains all the info (settings, etc, plus the image data itself) and your software (and software settings) determines how it's displayed upon opening it. The RAW file isn't meant to be printed/displayed/emailed-to-grandma "as is"....it needs processed and saved in another format.

I've never saved (nor processed) a RAW file, so I don't know if any of this is correct.
02-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
You are correct

QuoteOriginally posted by rlw1138 Quote
I think a digital camera can only capture full color, and "b&w" is actually a filter applied post-capture, whether by the camera or during post. So, your RAW DNG contains all the info (settings, etc, plus the image data itself) and your software (and software settings) determines how it's displayed upon opening it. The RAW file isn't meant to be printed/displayed/emailed-to-grandma "as is"....it needs processed and saved in another format.

I've never saved (nor processed) a RAW file, so I don't know if any of this is correct.
After posting my question I have since discovered that it is the case with RAW files. I just need to remember exactly which photos I take in B&W so when I process the DNG files that I edited them back as B&W.
02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I installed the Pentax Digital Camera Utility software for just this reason, to apply in-camera settings to a RAW image. I don't know if it's the best/fastest way on the computer. With DCU, you can apply only the settings you want and ignore others, and output a fule for further Photoshop work.

You can apply all the JPEG settings in the camera too (p. 259) or shoot RAW+JPEG and have one of each (p. 159).

Faststone may be showing you the JPEG preview, which is a small image included within the RAW file that does use camera settings. (I think the camera also uses the preview for its display.)

It may be possible to get CS5 to apply in-camera settings to a RAW file, but I don't know how. I have read many times that you can do a better conversion yourself, and I would at least give that a shot.