Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

What do we miss by buying problematic cameras?

Yesterday I took my kids to the circus. The event was very good, we enjoyed it very much. I had to take my old Kodak point and shoot to the circus. Unfortunately, it did not perform well in low light and fast movements.

I had planned on using K-r at this event but then I had to return it last week due to denial of Pentax staff of the FF issue. Even if I decided to keep the camera, I would have sent it to the service center which again will take 1 - 2 months to fix and come back to me. I will miss on important events meanwhile.

What is the lesson learned? Don't buy unreliable cameras, because you don't know when they will fail you.

02-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lesson to learn is that you should always have a backup camera if taking pictures is important to you...
02-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
Yesterday I took my kids to the circus. The event was very good, we enjoyed it very much. I had to take my old Kodak point and shoot to the circus. Unfortunately, it did not perform well in low light and fast movements.

I had planned on using K-r at this event but then I had to return it last week due to denial of Pentax staff of the FF issue...

What is the lesson learned? Don't buy unreliable cameras, because you don't know when they will fail you.
What are you talking about?

You had to return it b/c Pentax denied the FF issue? Or did you return it because you experienced FF?

What lens were you trying to use in low-light? The kit lens? Likely that was your issue, you likely need a faster lens or higher iso.

I have a k-r no problems. if it ffs under tungsten I use live view or MF. Otherwise lots of Canons, Nikons and P&S cameras out there (they are all perfect fyi, if you dont know when/if something will fail you how do you know its unreliable? If you know something is "unreliable" why did you buy it? )!

Enjoy!

Last edited by Deimos; 02-28-2011 at 08:17 AM.
02-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

3Drives, believe me, I completely sympathize with your situation. However, you weighed your options and you made the best decision for you. So please be settled with it try to move on, ok?

Also, look at it this way: The problem has been quasi-acknowledged and Pentax may very well fix the problem with fw 1.02 in the near future. If that happens, dramatic actions will seem very silly in retrospect.

If anything, your post communicated this to me: Be better prepared by knowing and addressing the limitations of your equipment before you get into a situation where you may miss photographing a special moment.

That is how I chose to interpret your post as I think it is much more constructive. Thanks for the heads-up and the reminder that I have some work to do. When I get home tonight, I think I'm going to practice using live-view on my K-r.

02-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I had to return it last week due to denial of Pentax staff of the FF issue. Even if I decided to keep the camera, I would have sent it to the service center which again will take 1 - 2 months to fix and come back to me.
Wow
02-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Yes, I agree. When dealing with any mechanical or electronic device, especially mass-produced consumer goods, it is always best to buy only the ones that you know with absolute certainty are incapable of defect or failure.

Just to save us all some aggravation in the future, would you mind terribly giving us just a few examples of some?
02-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

On my wife's K-x I was blown away by the speed and accuracy of the focusing. I'd be much more impressed if you'd said you took your K-r to the event and didn't get any decent pictures, and then took it back. But long story short, you have no idea how that camera would have performed at the circus.

I can't know from your post what exactly your experience was, but it sounds like you got spooked. I shoot my grand daughters with a 50 f1.7 in low light all the time. I've never experienced this issue. ANd I've gotten some great shots. I have experienced FF and BF and all kinds of focusing issues, what I've learned from that is if you really want to be focussed on a particular point with no chance of the camera shifting the point you've focussed on between the eye seeing and the finger pressing the shutter release, you need to turn off auto-focus altogether. I don't do that very often, what I usually do is take 3-5 pictures for everyone I really want, and usually one will be good. Sometimes 5 are good, sometimes 1 out of 5 is good. But I almost always get my shot.

Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but I have no idea what you hope to accomplish here. You took your camera back, you made what would appear to some reasonable people a rash decision, none of us can do a thing to help you now. I'm not less happy with my equipment because of what you posted. IN fact I'm still itching to add a few more lenses to my collection, some will be SDM, again, despite what's been posted here.

The lenses I have, the 10-17 the 60-250 the Tamron 90 and the 18-135 keep me excited an dying to get out and try new things on a daily basis. FF. As far as I'm concerned that's a myth. Ya sure people talk about it and believe in it, but there's nothing in my experience that would suggest it exists.

I read posts like yours and all I end up thinking is "what's up wid dat?"

PS ( I still can't believe you thought a Kodak P&S was the answer, and would give you better results than your K-r. You didn't just get spooked, you got flamboozled.)

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
What are you talking about?

You had to return it b/c Pentax denied the FF issue? Or did you return it because you experienced FF?

What lens were you trying to use in low-light? The kit lens? Likely that was your issue, you likely need a faster lens or higher iso.

I have a k-r no problems. if it ffs under tungsten I use live view or MF. Otherwise lots of Canons, Nikons and P&S cameras out there (they are all perfect fyi, if you dont know when/if something will fail you how do you know its unreliable? If you know something is "unreliable" why did you buy it? )!

Enjoy!
The FF was there on my camera with all 3 lens I tested 18-55mm, 50-200mm, 50 mm 1.7 lens . It was not just one lens. But, I expected Pentax to tell me/ others that they noticed this issue on all cameras and are working on a fix. They outrightly denied any cameras having that issue.

One who is in denial, how can the company work towards fixing that issue??? Are you all kidding me?

I bought my camera 10 days in advance to cover this event. After all, it was my kids' 1st circus event.

I took Kodak camera because that is all I had available due to Pentax mess up. I ordered another brand DSLR but that is in UPS, so was not shipped.

Some people are saying you knew this issue all along. What do you mean? You mean users like me have to expect that ,a new camera bought at $700, should have serious focussing issues. No, the issue is there with live view as well.

I understand some posters here are in denial and some absolutely love their faulty cameras. some are in high hope that Pentax will post a FF fix, sure but that will take awefully long time and I expect another camera in this line-up to be released within 3 months after that fix.

Let us say Pentax issues a FF fix 2 months later, my question is:

1, Should a DSLR owner who spent $700 lose several months waiting for it? If I shrug off this problem as a non-event, it means I confirm that $700 has no value.
2, How about Pentax show some accountability and refund or rebate some of the $$$ back for the problem and mess they created. I am not even saying they should recall the cameras, mind you that is worse.

02-28-2011, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

So you're saying (despite FF being low light/ tungsten issue as far as I can tell) affected all your lenses all the time?

I'm really intrigued. What is your level of expertise in evaluation photographic equipment?

Where in the following picture am I suffering from FF issues? What is faulty about this camera?

02-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Based on very little do we know about the OP, it is difficult to tell whether it is user error or defects in the equipment. I have known so many cases (in another camp) that users complain about the sharpness (lack of) in the photos and almost all of them don't even use the focus selection feature and of course focus error by the camera is to be blamed. I not suggesting that the OP has this problem, but certainly an example of the photo exhibiting FF issue would help to understand the real problem.
02-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where in the following picture am I suffering from FF issues? What is faulty about this camera?
Lovely photo, but how is this in low light?
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

The FF was there on my camera with all 3 lens I tested 18-55mm, 50-200mm, 50 mm 1.7 lens . It was not just one lens. But, I expected Pentax to tell me/ others that they noticed this issue on all cameras and are working on a fix. They outrightly denied any cameras having that issue.

One who is in denial, how can the company work towards fixing that issue??? Are you all kidding me?

I bought my camera 10 days in advance to cover this event. After all, it was my kids' 1st circus event.

I took Kodak camera because that is all I had available due to Pentax mess up. I ordered another brand DSLR but that is in UPS, so was not shipped.

Some people are saying you knew this issue all along. What do you mean? You mean users like me have to expect that ,a new camera bought at $700, should have serious focussing issues. No, the issue is there with live view as well.

I understand some posters here are in denial and some absolutely love their faulty cameras. some are in high hope that Pentax will post a FF fix, sure but that will take awefully long time and I expect another camera in this line-up to be released within 3 months after that fix.

Let us say Pentax issues a FF fix 2 months later, my question is:

1, Should a DSLR owner who spent $700 lose several months waiting for it? If I shrug off this problem as a non-event, it means I confirm that $700 has no value.
2, How about Pentax show some accountability and refund or rebate some of the $$$ back for the problem and mess they created. I am not even saying they should recall the cameras, mind you that is worse.

In your OP you mention ("Don't buy unreliable cameras, because you don't know when they will fail you.") that you knew of the issue before buying the camera, or at least of it being possibly "unreliable" you shouldnt have bought it obviously!

I would prefer if my K-r did not have FF under tungsten but I am not in denial about it I just work around it, it is very easy. Live View is 100% accurate in all light, if yours was not then there is certainly a defect. Otherwise manual focusing works perfectly.

Anyways, its unfortunate but sh!t happens! Go and buy another brand/camera and be happy! Why are you still here? Im sure you wont get the responses you are hoping for from this thread
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
all the time?

Where did you read I said it? So, if a camera doesn't focus in one lighting condition, isn't that considered anamoly?
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Doesn't sound like the OP want/need help... I am out of this thread...
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this is a good point to this one.
closed

Last edited by Parallax; 02-28-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Closed Thread