Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-R Filters & Extras

Now that I know that I am getting the Pentax K-R,with the 300MM lens

what extras should I get...

FILTERS...
does brand matter, do I need to pay a premium price for Hoya filters?
UV filter? close up filters?

POWER...
AA battery case or just another Rechargeable Lithium?
AC power Supply? (I'll be doing time-lapse photography)

Remote?
Anti-Fingerprint Display Protection Film
?
Lens Hood?
Camera Bag?

you get the idea...
any other extras I'm missing?
links would be appreciated...

Chuck

Attached Images

02-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #2

Hey Chuck.......I am interested in the answers to these questions as well.
I am certainly getting a remote. I have several applications where I will want one (i.e. pictures with kids). I will also be getting a tripod, though it will probably not be one of the high end models - just one that I can carry around with me rather easily. Already have a bag from a previously owned film SLR.
Here is one thing I have read about filters though. If you are buying a UV filter just to protect your lens, it might be better to go with just a lens hood. This obviously does not apply if your are shooting in a location where there is a lot of sand or debris. I have read that a lens hood will still protect your lens from "bumps and bruises", yet it won't effect the IQ. Some claim that a UV filter will negatively effect your IQ.

Can a more seasoned user confirm or deny this??

I will probably eventually get some of the other filters (i.e. polarizing and neutral density) because of the special effects they produce.

Chad
02-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using a UV-filter is trading off a bit of image quality for front element protection. A part of the protection is being able to clean the filter rather than the front element thereby eliminating wear and scratches to that. UV filters as such are not needed as the sensors are not affected by it, using them for protection makes sense as they the cheapest multicoated ones; glass in general happens to filter UV so I suppose making filters that do not act as UV filters is would require pricey special material . In summary: using UV filters (or not) depends on whether a bit of IQ loss is worth the protection; how much that protection is needed depends on the conditions.

Of course, "a bit" above assumes a quality filter, which does not have to be the most expensive; Hoya HMC UV(C) was on par with the dearer ones in the lenstip test (UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com).

Last edited by jolepp; 02-28-2011 at 04:52 PM.
03-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Chad... I think we'll have to learn the hard way...