Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

My impressions of the K-r

Well, I got to spend a couple weeks with the camera in February while writing a review. Overall, I have to say I was really impressed. Everything that made the K-x an incredible value is there, and most of it is improved. With the retail price hovering just above $600 for the kit, I can't imagine buying another entry-level dSLR.

Ergonomics and build seem slightly improved over the K-x. The camera is very, very solid and has a pleasing weight in your hand. (It's a little smaller than competing dSLRs but also a little heavier, which is a good combo, IMO.) The larger, higher-res screen is fantastic (same as the K-5, so it would be, wouldn't it?). AF is snappy and generally very accurate. Live view is fast and deadly accurate. Image quality is, of course, absolutely stellar and the high-ISO capability is incredible for a camera at this price point. On the downside the HD video recording is pretty crappy, both in terms of the options available and the quality of the video itself, but that's to be expected from Pentax at this point—seems clear they see it as a checkmark on the features list rather than a real area of concern. Like some others, I noticed what might be considered "amplified" purple fringing with this sensor, though of course that varied by lens and aperture. I also noticed a slight trend toward overexposure in high-contrast scenes, which is kinda dumb since the sensor retains so much shadow detail/information.

Anyway, some photos:

03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am digging those shots...
03-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Banned

Did you use a polarizing filter or you just edited the photos?

Yes, Kr is a good camera, excepting the tungsten ff problem. I couldn't accept it and returned it, but I understand the owners who kept it.

Last edited by ursamajor; 03-03-2011 at 02:34 AM.
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Did you use a polarizing filter or you just edited the photos?

Yes, Kr is a good camera, excepting the tungsten ff problem. I couldn't accept it and returned it, but I understand the owners who kept the camera.
These were all edited in LR3 from .dng RAWs. No filters were used.

The sky really is that blue out here, too.

As for the FF issue, I didn't have any, but I also didn't shoot that much in tungsten light.

03-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #5

Nice shots! Excellent setup you have.
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

KRRRRRRRReat Pictures

Great pictures! Seeing those was all I needed to get my A$$ off the fence and order a Kr.
03-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the review DWB. The photos look very nice.
I keep bouncing back and forth between the K-r and K-7, depending on which one I'm reading about at the time!
03-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Btw, if anyone cares... lens usage breakdown:

01-11: DA 18-135 WR
12-15: DA 35/2.8 Limited Macro
16-16: DA-L 18-55 kit lens
17-20: DA 15/4 Limited

03-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
Thanks for the review DWB. The photos look very nice.
I keep bouncing back and forth between the K-r and K-7, depending on which one I'm reading about at the time!
The K-7 has better ergonomics and some added features, but I feel the K-r is the better camera overall.
03-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Great photos! One question I have is whether you've made any focus adjustments using the AF fine adjustment? If so, what process did you follow to make corrections? Mine was pretty much dead-on with my primes (DA15 and DA70), but looks best to me with a -4 adjustment with my various zooms - though it's a compromise setting.
03-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
Great photos! One question I have is whether you've made any focus adjustments using the AF fine adjustment? If so, what process did you follow to make corrections? Mine was pretty much dead-on with my primes (DA15 and DA70), but looks best to me with a -4 adjustment with my various zooms - though it's a compromise setting.
No adjustments.
03-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Personally I like the shots from the 18-135 the best, nice lens. The colours of the 15 are nice but there is something about the perspective or the distortion that im not a fan of.
03-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
No adjustments.
It's refreshing to see some good impressions of the K-r as I feel the forums have been inundated with the negative. I don't discount the front focusing issues, as I know it would be frustrating, but I wish more people went out and took pictures with their K-r's. Thanks.
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
It's refreshing to see some good impressions of the K-r as I feel the forums have been inundated with the negative. I don't discount the front focusing issues, as I know it would be frustrating, but I wish more people went out and took pictures with their K-r's. Thanks.
Agreed, FF sucks but the K-r really is a great camera otherwise
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Yeah, I don't discount them either.

Tungsten low-light shooting simply isn't an area I usually focus on with my photography (though I do a decent amount of it), so it's possible that the K-r I used was also afflicted by the issue and I just never ran into it. Who knows? For the situations I used it in, it was a great camera.