Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Everybody test this for me real quick.

I noticed something odd today. First off, I have Dust Removal Start-up Action turned on. If I turn the camera off and back on a few times while in video mode with DRSU on, it eventually locks up during the DR and refuses to do anything until you pull the battery. Of course, I don't generally power-cycle my camera like that, but the first time I noticed it, I just did it once. If I turn off DRSU, it seems to be fine. Another thing is if it happens, and you DON'T pull the battery, it's apparently still pulling voltage, cuz my battery was completely dead later on.

I'm just wondering if this is a problem for everyone or just me. I mean, it's not worth sending it in, since it's VERY easy to work around, I'm mostly just curious.

thanks.

03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like an 'overload' issue. I've had my K-x seize up on me once so far for no apparent reason after playback mode was turned off, and the screen went blank and the camera rendered unresponsive until batteries were plucked out and the whole thing rebooted.
03-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I noticed something odd today. First off, I have Dust Removal Start-up Action turned on. If I turn the camera off and back on a few times while in video mode with DRSU on, it eventually locks up during the DR and refuses to do anything until you pull the battery. Of course, I don't generally power-cycle my camera like that, but the first time I noticed it, I just did it once. If I turn off DRSU, it seems to be fine. Another thing is if it happens, and you DON'T pull the battery, it's apparently still pulling voltage, cuz my battery was completely dead later on.

I'm just wondering if this is a problem for everyone or just me. I mean, it's not worth sending it in, since it's VERY easy to work around, I'm mostly just curious.

thanks.
I can't seem to reproduce this problem. Can you give more specific instructions on how to reproduce the issue you've described?

--DragonLord
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Wow, you found a way to break your camera and now you want others to do the same?

03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

I remember reading somewhere to not cycle the camera like that, it would lock up the camera, and I think it was in my K200D manual. Just quit being dumb with it and it won't be a problem.
03-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like I said, the first time it happened, I was not "being dumb" or trying to find "a way to break [my] camera." I was in video mode, I turned off the camera, realized I wasn't done, immediately turned it back on, and it locked up. That led me to experimentation, which involved repeated power-cycles.

And DragonLord, specific instructions would be: 1) Enable Dust removal start up action, 2) Switch to video mode, and 3) Turn the camera off and on several times. I'm not talking about going all superninja on the power switch, I mean with reasonable pauses in between. A second or so.
03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Like I said, the first time it happened, I was not "being dumb" or trying to find "a way to break [my] camera." I was in video mode, I turned off the camera, realized I wasn't done, immediately turned it back on, and it locked up. That led me to experimentation, which involved repeated power-cycles.

And DragonLord, specific instructions would be: 1) Enable Dust removal start up action, 2) Switch to video mode, and 3) Turn the camera off and on several times. I'm not talking about going all superninja on the power switch, I mean with reasonable pauses in between. A second or so.
I still can't reproduce the problem. There may be other factors causing the issue you've described. For example, what firmware version do you have?

--DragonLord