Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

Something Wrong with my K-r?

I just noticed this looking in lightroom as it was hard to miss. I'm hoping this is just b/c some dust on my lens or sensor?

Last edited by broah; 07-06-2013 at 10:11 AM.
03-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

sure looks like dust, would likely be on the sensor (it would have to be gigantic to be on or in the lens).
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response I was nervous! Guess I can just run the dust removal option and that should take care of it?
03-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by broah Quote
Thanks for the quick response I was nervous! Guess I can just run the dust removal option and that should take care of it?
It may or may not. There was a dust particle in my brand new K-x which wouldn't go with the dust removal function. So I manually removed it using a rocket blower. I had posted about the procedure in another thread, quoting it here -

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
That definitely looks like a dust. I had one of those with my brand new K-x. It wouldn't go with the sensor shake option in the menu. My K-x has a dust alert function that displays the exact location of the dust on the sensor, I'm not sure if your camera has the same.

So this is what I did -
  1. Go to Dust Alert function in the menu and shoot an image of a uniform plain white surface. It showed me one dust particle.
  2. Then I removed the lens with camera facing down.
  3. Go to Sensor Clean function in the menu, which flicks the mirror up and opens the shutter so that you see the sensor (make sure the batteries are fully charged otherwise this won't work).
  4. Using the rocket blower puff 2-3 times to the area where dust was showing up on the sensor (camera still facing down).
  5. Switch off the camera to close the shutter and get the mirror back in position.
  6. Check again with dust alert function and voila, it is clean.

03-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
tux
Forum Member

If you change lenses often it is a good idea to turn on the shake on power on function.