Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Bulb mode

Hey!

Have been considering getting the K-r for some time now but there's one thing that still holds me back.

I loved experimenting with long exposures on my, now sold, K20D. But the K-r doesn't support any wired remote control so my question is if the wireless remote control can be used with the K-r when in Bulb mode??

03-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it can. I think that you can even choose to have the remote work so that one button press opens the shutter and the next press closes it. The manual mentions Custom Setting page 3, #15, but doesn't explain it. The K-x works the way I describe.
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I think that you can even choose to have the remote work so that one button press opens the shutter and the next press closes it

I confirm this. It works.
03-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #4

Yes, that's right. You get the choice of pressing remote once to open the shutter and a second time to close it, OR you can set ti to have the shutter remain open as long as you hold the remote button down

10-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by suenalex Quote
Yes, that's right. You get the choice of pressing remote once to open the shutter and a second time to close it, OR you can set ti to have the shutter remain open as long as you hold the remote button down
Is there a way to do that (bulb start and end) using the normal shoot button ? (not a remote control?)
10-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlsa05 Quote
Is there a way to do that (bulb start and end) using the normal shoot button ? (not a remote control?)
No, the one press open, next press close option only applies to the remote. However I would not use the shutter button anyway because of the shake it would cause.

I see no reason not to use the remote - it works perfectly and you can get a remote for almost nothing on eBay.

The only advantage of a wired remote in time exposures is that you are less likely to lose it because it is attached to the camera by the wire, but then again you could as well attach the wireless remote to the camera with a lanyard and you get the equivalent of a wired remote :-)

I do highly recommend the K-r for time exposures and general low light performance. It was indeed the reason why I bought it, not to mention that the search for a good low light camera was what led me to 'discover' that Pentax made DSLRs, and mighty good ones at that.

It is of course an old model now and there are newer models, both Pentax and other brands, that perform better but you'll have to pay a lot more.
11-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
No, the one press open, next press close option only applies to the remote. However I would not use the shutter button anyway because of the shake it would cause.

I see no reason not to use the remote - it works perfectly and you can get a remote for almost nothing on eBay.

The only advantage of a wired remote in time exposures is that you are less likely to lose it because it is attached to the camera by the wire, but then again you could as well attach the wireless remote to the camera with a lanyard and you get the equivalent of a wired remote :-)

I do highly recommend the K-r for time exposures and general low light performance. It was indeed the reason why I bought it, not to mention that the search for a good low light camera was what led me to 'discover' that Pentax made DSLRs, and mighty good ones at that.

It is of course an old model now and there are newer models, both Pentax and other brands, that perform better but you'll have to pay a lot more.
Thanks, I agree that the remote is a good option, the problem is that I was not able to get one quickly enough.

I wanted to use the K-R with the Pentax GPS to shoot stars.

I discovered that the Pentax GPS enables the K-r to use the shoot button to do exposures up to 5 minutes.
(which I did with good results)

11-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Yep it does work but the one thing that I have found to be limiting is when taking star trails and other similar photos there is no way of using a shutter speed longer than 30 sec and the intervalometer mode. I'm not sure if this is available with any of the wired remotes but it is something I would find useful.