Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #1

Maybe tomorrow we will have a surprise!

Hello,i am aware that in DPreview there is a guy ( a greek one) that said that he had a call from a pentax rep and a firmware update will be ready in 2 or 3 days.Although i am greek too i dont know him ,never spoke to him etc BUT few minutes ago i ALSO have recieved a call from a pentax rep in my city who told me that the firmware update will be on site tomorrow.I have purchased my kr from amazon.fr and yet yesterday i started proccedures with amazon.fr and pentax .fr to return it and been refund.I was at this guy shop (pentax rep) 10 days ago and ask him about the ff problems and at that time he told me that he will get informations from pentax and notify me.

So unless ,he is a sadist (the same one who informed the other greek guy) and having fun giving false hopes, i consider this great news .

I wouldnt bet all my money to this information and i know i may create some sort of reactions but as a pretty unsatisfied consumer with pentax i thought maybe its an usefull info to spread.

Thank you and fingers crossed tomorrow (maybe) will be the revelation....

Last edited by apexlunat; 03-09-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spelling correction
03-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #2

there is already a two page thread on this. you are too late ;-)
03-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

As hopeful as I am about this rumoured update, I'm not convinced it will happen. I emailed Pentax today here in the UK and got the following reply (in German strangely, although translated by Google below):

"There is currently no firmware update is available that fixes the front focus problem. A release date has not been submitted to us, but this is published on our website as soon as it becomes available."

The reference to a release date seems to imply that there is a firmware update in the works, but certainly nothing has been confirmed.
03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I live in Greece, have bought several things Pentax from a few dealers here in Athens and have not been informed of a firmware update...and I would find it wildly strange anyone from any of the dealers I have frequented would actually call me in advance of a firmware update just to let me know one was coming.

Ποιά είναι η πηγή σας?

Jason

03-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello Matso,i really dont know if the info i was given is true or not.The thing that maybe convince me a bit is that this pentax rep has nothing to gain from me since i had already bought the kr from elsewhere and 10 days has passed since i spoke to him.He was very helpfull at that time ,he took my mobile phone number and called me this morning...i also told him at that time that i have bought the kr much less from amazon.fr than the price in the shop(he asked me) and he agreed that it was a bargain.

Last edited by apexlunat; 03-09-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
03-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Banned

The surprise will occur when Pentax will release the succesor of K5/Kr. Maybe next time they will have the good sense to make a competitive AF system, the Safox10 or 11.
03-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
hello jasvox , i found it also strange when i have read about the other s guy call (dpreview) yesterday but today i had a call too.The exact words were: (translated)

Hello ,i am calling from name of the shop.About the ff problems of the kr ,tomorrow there will be a new firmware on site (dont know which will have it first uploaded) which will correct the ff problems.

As i stated above i am not trying neither to be a prophet neither to spread false info.I got an information from a person (quite reliable till now (he didnt have to call me after 10 days to tell me a lie)) and with all my sceptisism i transmit it.

Even if it will actually be uploaded on pentax sites we dont know if it will be a patch to cover the problem (improve the focus) or completely correct it.
03-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
hello ursamajor ,i can understand your bitterness.I feel exactly the same with the kr ff problems.Yesterday i arranged a return and refund with amazon in order to buy a different camera (a bit more expensive)from other brand.By nature and as a personality i am always in favorite with the weakest and in this case (as the market margins shows) its pentax.That was the main reason i wanted to try to support it with my purchase in a first place.It could happen to every brand of every product to have a problem but the way pentax handdled it (or still haddles it) with neither denial nor confirmation leaving the consumer in a state of uncertitude really upsets me.Anyway i hope pentax will make a breakthrough by proving that can be a reliable brand not only in terms of products but in communication as well.

Last edited by apexlunat; 03-09-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling correction
03-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136037-new-firmware-2-3-days.html
Closed Thread