Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #1

Question about manual focus on 18-55 kit lens

Can someone kindly confirm whether the manual focus on the 18-55 kit lens is completely frictionless or whether there is any sense of friction/grinding when in MF mode (ie. a much, much, much less resistant version of what you would get if you forced it in AF mode)? Sorry if this description is a bit poor - not quite sure how else to describe it.

The reason I ask is that the MF on the lens on the second K-r I had wasn't completely smooth (ie. there was a very light sense of friction, like something catching at very small, regular internals like a gear). I can't remember whether the first K-r and its kit lens exhibited the same tendency. (Both were returned for FF reasons while I deliberated on my next move).

In the hopes that the new firmware comes out this week (at which point I'll be sprinting back to my local retailer), I just want to know what the MF should feel like.

Many thanks.

03-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
difficult to describe the feel...but here i go:
mine does not oppose much resistance..it feels almost frictionless..BUT you can hear/feel a tiny bit of friction, mine does a very very small noise..
Hope it helps...
And two last things:
- Don't worry about that. Unless you feel a strong friction/loud noise i'm sure everything is fine with the manual focus on the lens. Don't let small worries build up (just enjoy that cool piece of equipment).
- And you will probably upgrade to a better lens sometime before the kit one breaks...i'm sure you won't use it for long really. (in fact i would recomend to buy just the body ad go for the 16-45 wich can be found pretty cheap, or the tammy 17-50 f2.8 wich is a good lens with a good price.).

Hope your next body will work like a clock.
03-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The same for me (DAL version), it is very smooth... almost frictionless, but I can hear the tiny little gears clicking in succession.
03-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

i've the DAL version, it's like turning the manual focus ring around some velvet. almost frictionless. it's completely normal. if it start to make some noise or being hard, it's now that you should be carefull.

cheers !

03-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all - I think Verglace described perfectly how my lens handled. Seemed to work fine to me, so glad it's not one more thing to obsess over
03-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

you'll have the same feeling with all lenses that have a focusing ring without indication of distance on it.
03-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the DAL there will be significant friction if you try to manually focus while in AF mode, and this is bad for your camera. With the regular DA version, there won't be, as it features quick-shift focusing. Obviously the ring will still make a sound when you turn it, but it will be much quieter.