Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Best lens for shooting video

Hello,

I was recording some video the other day, and when I imported it onto my laptop, discovered that it was very grainy and had noise. What is the best lens for filming any form of video footage on the Pentax K-r and what are your experiences?

03-09-2011, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #2

hello,although i am a bit (a lot) dissapointed by the ff problems ,i must admit that kr do a very good job for video.I think kr manual states that video recording is only in auto mode..which is not exactly true.With a manual lens (asahi pentax smc 50mm 1.7 is what i have bought used for 80 euros) you can have full access to manual settings for video and the fact that is 1.7 f (very fast) can produce noiseless video.In order to change all the settings you want (this can be only done with manual lens) you select the P ,change the settings you want and then u lock the exposure with AE-lock.Then you turn to video mode without re-lock the exposure and all the previous settings you made are there.

Last edited by apexlunat; 03-09-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction
03-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Blink...
...blink, blink...

My mind was just blown. Thanks, Apexlnat, I know exactly what I'm going to do when I get home. I have an old Vivitar push-pull which is blazing fast to zoom and focus in real-time. Time to experiment! There may be some life left in that old lens, yet!
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks apexlunat, that was very helpful. I am going to start hunting for that lens now so I can shoot proper HD video.

03-09-2011, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #5

jacobtalbot and abcdave Some extra bonus small tips to make your video even better......

If you are planning to have your video with a <<film look>> (without post production) while in P mode you can select the color platform (vibrant -black and white-mute etc) from the menu button and even the toy camera - fisheye - sepia.After turning to video mode your selections will be memorised.

if you are planning to post product your video (via editing program AE-sony vegas etc)its better to have the flattest possible image (little saturation-little constrast ) .You can boost these settings afterwards in color correction.

For low light video some settings that worked for me are:

iso 400 or a bit more (not 1000),shutter speed 1/25
muted image with custom settings
Saturation 0
Hue 0
High Low key 0
contrast -4
Sharpness 0.
This will may seem a bit washed out but later in post (color correction) you can boost these values.

Anyway a fast (1.4 1.7 etc) old lens its either cheap and sharp and the shallow depth of field it will produce will give a great feeling to your video. I am not an experienced videographer ,i am a 3d artist who tries to find some free time to learn new things but i think that these small tips may help you a bit.
03-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

I had the opportunity this afternoon to tinker around a bit with shooting video with the K-r. I never considered manual focusing during video because the user's guide said it wasn't possible and whenever I toggle the switch on the camera from AF to MF, the display tells me "This function is not available". However, Apexlunat got me thinking outside the box about manual focus lenses through this post.

Manual focus zoom lenses work great. Really, really great.

I have an ancient Vivitar 80-200 push-pull style lens that I keep in my "junk pile" in the garage. You know the ones. They are found at almost all garage sales, flea markets, and come with almost all used SLR's from the 80's. Here is one selling for $2.00 on eBay (at the time of this post). On mine, the aperture blades are slow and no longer "snappy", but I figured that won't matter one bit if I'm shooting video since they won't be moving.

I more or less consider these lenses junk, but they have one redeeming value in this situation: the push-pull operation. One dial adjusts both zoom and focus. This means that you can zoom and focus at the same time. Otherwise, you need to zoom, focus, zoom, focus, zoom, focus. To me, this doesn't look too good on film. My lens is a slow f4.5 throughout the entire zoom range, so the K-r doesn't even have to adjust the exposure all that much.
Above is a video where I'm testing this out. DISCLAIMER: I have zero experience with this and my tripod is a wobbly PoS. I turned the focus dial the wrong way one time and I had to hunt a bit the second time, but it was much better. When I move from the garage to the car, I was zooming and focusing at the same time. It'll take some practice, but I think the results will be worthwhile. I really liked that there was some DoF. I never thought I'd see the day where I'd have any value for this lens, but it looks like this one has found a place in my lens bag when I'm shooting video.

I do find the 80-200 rather limiting. Can anyone recommend a manual push-pull that starts somewhere around 28mm? Maybe I should get a wide angle lens adapter?

EDIT: Formatting

Last edited by abcdave; 03-11-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Formatting
03-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

hello abcdave ,Great test!Although i returned my kr (exhange it with other brand because of the ff problem -not yet received) i was really sad that i will not in the future have fun with its video mode which i think to be wonderfull .You should really try to find (and buy )a asahi smc 50mm 1.7 (with my new order i also ordered a pk mount adapter to use it as well).IN MY CASE i should really have to buy a push-pull style lens ( i didnt know that there was such thing) because from what i saw in your video there is a huge potential.THANKS for your valuable info .CHEERS to the vault 13.
10-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Vivitar 28-105 vari-focus works well for this.

Last edited by Bruce; 10-09-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling!