Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
My Order

The following 2 images are what I am looking at to get my first DSLR.... look at it let me know if I am getting enough to get started or too much?

All suggestions are welcome.


Chuck

Attached Images
   
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member
RonakG's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 603
Instead of going for 1 huge capacity memory card, go for multiple small ones. In case of one going kaput, you have other cards as backup. I would go with two 16gb or even four 8gb cards.
03-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 49
Price

I don't know if that is too much or not,

I would start with just the camera................

Talking about that look at the prices of Buydig.com or abesofmaine.com.

It's a bit cheaper and you have 30-45 days return policy.

Both are excellent stores and you don't pay tax if you live out side of NJ.


Hope that helps.
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Instead of going for 1 huge capacity memory card, go for multiple small ones. In case of one going kaput, you have other cards as backup. I would go with two 16gb or even four 8gb cards.
ok... I'll go with a 16 and 32... I want the 32 for long time lapse videos I'll be making... thanks!

03-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
I think you should buy just the camera and the memory, then if you feel comfortable with your equipment, start buying accesories. is almost sure than eventually you will feel the need to upgrade your lens, so start saving money for that moment
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by karelson Quote
I don't know if that is too much or not,

I would start with just the camera................

Talking about that look at the prices of Buydig.com or abesofmaine.com.

It's a bit cheaper and you have 30-45 days return policy.

Both are excellent stores and you don't pay tax if you live out side of NJ.


Hope that helps.
I am the kind of guy that wants it all at the same time... I hate not having what I need when I need it... I'm am sure were all like that. but I really hate it!

I doubt I'll be wanting to return it... unless it breaks...

I will look at abe's again and Buydig.com. The only reason I made the list with Amazon is because they seem to have more choices of accessories... I'll make the same list on those two sites and see if it compares. Thanks!
03-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
I think you should buy just the camera and the memory, then if you feel comfortable with your equipment, start buying accesories. is almost sure than eventually you will feel the need to upgrade your lens, so start saving money for that moment
I was considering the DA L 55-300 but I wanted where (I forget what its called) the lens zoomed in and focused in on one point... from what I understand the DA L lenses don't do that... or do they?

Yeah I was going to get a better zoom lens than the kitted 55-300 later... besides the white one don't come with the 300... I bet I can find a good used zoom lens somewhere after I get the camera... I just don't know what one yet... probablly the DA 55-300


Thanks!

Chuck
03-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Nomad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 406
All of it looks reasonable but you might want to look into a dedicated macro lens like an off brand manual 100mm for $100 or so. I picked up a Pheonix M100 Macro for a bit under $100 and I like it MUCH better than the close focusing filters.

03-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 102
QuoteOriginally posted by chukers Quote
I was considering the DA L 55-300 but I wanted where (I forget what its called) the lens zoomed in and focused in on one point... from what I understand the DA L lenses don't do that... or do they?

Yeah I was going to get a better zoom lens than the kitted 55-300 later... besides the white one don't come with the 300... I bet I can find a good used zoom lens somewhere after I get the camera... I just don't know what one yet... probablly the DA 55-300


Thanks!

Chuck
i know the only diference between da y da-l 55-300 is the metal mount and the quick shift, wich allow you to perform manual focus after the camera autofocus, this without touching the af/mf switch
03-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nomad Quote
All of it looks reasonable but you might want to look into a dedicated macro lens like an off brand manual 100mm for $100 or so. I picked up a Pheonix M100 Macro for a bit under $100 and I like it MUCH better than the close focusing filters.
I was planning on getting a macro lens eventually... I was just thinking the closeup filters would do the job for now... Thanks for the Idea!

Chuck
03-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Forum Member
hray's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 79
I got a non-Pentax remote control for less than $4 (free shipping) on either Amazon or Ebay; works fine and much cheaper than the Pentax version. I know you can use the shutter delay but I found that to be a pain; just pushing the little button was much easier!

I'm having good results with my Raynox 150 and the DA-L 55-300 lens--see the Raynox forum for many people's pictures with this combination.
03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 728
I would ditch the last 3 on your list. You can get a generic universal remote off ebay or amazon for much cheaper. If you've already got an extra dli109 battery, I'd forego the AA adapter, or at least find a cheaper version off ebay. Lastly, I'd recommend the GGS 3" screen protector off Amazon. It's actually a thin piece of glass that covers the LCD, versus a piece of transparent film like the one in your cart.
03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I would ditch the last 3 on your list. You can get a generic universal remote off ebay or amazon for much cheaper. If you've already got an extra dli109 battery, I'd forego the AA adapter, or at least find a cheaper version off ebay. Lastly, I'd recommend the GGS 3" screen protector off Amazon. It's actually a thin piece of glass that covers the LCD, versus a piece of transparent film like the one in your cart.
ok I switched out screen protectors...

so you think the 2 rechargable batteries are good enough no need for a AA adapter?

Chuck
03-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 728
Or you can get two more normal batteries for that price of an adapter. I figure if you have a battery in the camera, you'd have the second charging or on standby. It would work for me, but it might not be for you. Do you plan to be out in the middle of nowhere with no access to an outlet? AA's are readily available and versatile, but I have yet to be in an area without access to an outlet. But that's just me.
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Or you can get two more normal batteries for that price of an adapter. I figure if you have a battery in the camera, you'd have the second charging or on standby. It would work for me, but it might not be for you. Do you plan to be out in the middle of nowhere with no access to an outlet? AA's are readily available and versatile, but I have yet to be in an area without access to an outlet. But that's just me.
Yes at times I will be... but then I'll have my truck with me... I can just use that to keep on charged while I'm out shooting!


Thanks

Chuck
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, k-r, kr, pentax k-r
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5- I was about to order... Brensdae Pentax K-5 13 03-08-2011 07:12 AM
Order New K20d Garyleed Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 09-15-2009 06:33 PM
SO...Who's Placed a Pre-Order? lawsonstone Pentax News and Rumors 103 06-24-2009 08:02 AM
Need to order some more... ryan s Pentax Film SLR Discussion 2 04-05-2009 03:19 PM
WalMart order came in! Gooshin Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 11-07-2008 09:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top