Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Kr exposure problem

I have a brand new (1 month) Kr which worked perfectly until this morning, when the e-dial ceased to work properly. The exposure locks at + or - 3 stops, and can't be controlled. The picture is captured but useless. Is there a fix?

Thanks

Roel

03-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sounds like you are changing the exposure compensation, not turning the e-dial. In green mode, turning the dial only goes to +/- 3 ev exposure compensation. In manual mode, turning the e-dial changes shutter or aperture and holding exp-comp and turning changes the other. In semi-auto modes, turning the wheel controls the component of the mode you are in (aperture if in Av...) but holding the exp-comp and turning changes the exposure compensation up to +/- 3 ev.
03-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Further to that, and green button has not been reassigned, pressing green button should reset EV to 0. See page 197 in your manual.
03-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Not it

I reassigned the green button to a non-exposure function (optical preview) and it made no difference. it seems that the e-dial is not functioning properly at all. Mechanical manufacturing fault I think.

Roel

03-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I missed your meaning. I was suggesting the green button to return the EV back to 0. As for malfunctioning E-dial.... there are one or two posts about it. Send it in to 1770 Argentia, Mississauga.... I was told by Pentax Ca that there is no "fix".
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How familiar are you with pentax cameras? It doesn't sound like mechanical failure at this point, but more likely, user error.

Your phrase, "the exposure locks at + or - 3 stops..." simply doesn't make sense, even if there were a hardware failure.

Try reseting the camera to factory defaults

Then, place the camera in Av mode. Without touching any other buttons, ensure that turning the e-dial changes the aperture properly.

In Tv mode, the e-dial should adjust the shutter speed

In green mode, the e-dial changes the exposure compensation from -3 to +3 ev
03-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #7

E-dial Problems Here Too

I was shooting in aperture and shutter modes today and started having problems. Sometimes nothing would happen when the dial was turned, sometimes it would go the wrong way and sometimes it would skip ahead or behind several increments. It was driving me nuts and I wanted to see if others were having trouble. I guess so.

03-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sloglass Quote
I was shooting in aperture and shutter modes today and started having problems. Sometimes nothing would happen when the dial was turned, sometimes it would go the wrong way and sometimes it would skip ahead or behind several increments. It was driving me nuts and I wanted to see if others were having trouble. I guess so.
Exactly the same thing thing happened to my K-r and it was repaired under warranty. I've since read a little more about this fault and with K-7 some people just turned the e-dial constantly for a few minutes and the problem went away. Don't know if that would've worked with my body though.
03-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
I had the same problem with my K-r E-Dial...sometimes it would work, sometimes it would work in the opposite direction, sometimes it would jump all over the place.

I sent it to Pentax Canada and they fixed it no problem under warranty.