Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

QTKitServer process on OSX when watching video

Hi there,

I am having some trouble watching the Motion-Jpeg videos from my K-r on my Mac. A process called QTKitServer is taken up all the CPU and not going anywhere.

I read it's related to Quicktime X, which uses that process to do things in the background, but this is no good. I am using Snow Leopard.

Anyone else having problems playing their MJPEG files on Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

Christoph

03-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Original Poster
To answer my question: I had a bunch of files in /Library/Quicktime that were old and probably unneeded. I moved them out of the way and it works now!

Hope this helps someone else out there!
03-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have the same problem, it freezes my imac every time! (3.06Ghz Intel core 2 duo with 4Gb ram).
I just use vlc and it works great.
03-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I don't have any problems with K-x video on my 2GHz Core 2 Duo mini. 30% CPU using Quicktime X and 37% using Quicktime 7. 1fps shouldn't make that big a difference.

03-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ckoehler Quote
To answer my question: I had a bunch of files in /Library/Quicktime that were old and probably unneeded. I moved them out of the way and it works now!

Hope this helps someone else out there!
That's a pretty good idea for anyone who upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. It's also a good idea for anyone who migrated from a PPC Mac to an Intel Mac. A lot of older Quicktime components were PPC only. Won't be a problem on Lion as Apple is locking the Library folder down.

After looking through my Quicktime folder there was 1 PowerPC component left. TSCC.component which is part of the EnSharpen codec. There is a universal upgrade available.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-11-2011 at 07:20 AM.