Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Prices going up because of the disaster?

Chuck

Last edited by chukers; 03-11-2011 at 11:13 PM.
03-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think at this point in time we should be focused more with the health and safety of the families and victims affected by these horrible tragedies and not if camera gear is going to go up in price.

Just my opinion
03-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Well said. Well said.
03-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #4

There is the human side, and this is a terrible disaster. I don't have really what to say about it. Feeling sorry, yes, but that does not help a bit those people. It's the first social reaction to express best wishes and good thoughts, but they mean nothing. Japan has a lot to rebuild, and all that can be done by another human living on the same planet is to offer some financial aid, no matter how small. I am sure each country will soon made available an account to support Japan. Donate to that as much as you can or want and that's about it.

There is the economic side, Japan has a powerful economy, and i don't see any problem in talking about the economic impact. The earth is still spinning, i don't think that talking about this makes us "beasts".

But this is under K-r forum, has nothing to do with this section, so maybe could be moved to General talk?

03-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really feel for the hundreds of thousands of people who will have lost family, friends and colleges. This will take Japan many years to recover from, and I think the financial ripple will be big.

03-12-2011, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I don't think its wrong to talk about prices etc just because a tragedy happened somewhere. After all, it really doesn't make a difference. It's not like if we speculate about prices (or about other things such as firmwares), it will somehow make the tragedy worst or if we stop talking about it, it will lessen the tragedy. For most of us, what we do doesn't affect the people of Japan, the world doesn't have to stop. We pay our respects, do what we can (for many of us there is not much we can do besides giving a donation here and there) and keep going on with our lives.

In keeping with the topic, it really depends if the earthquake affected the areas where our cameras are produced (the k-r itself is made in Philippines) so supply is unlikely to take a hit, as a result prices should remain the same. Cameras also do not have a very elastic supply-demand curve compared to oil, so prices shouldn't move too much.
03-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I originally posted something that made me sound uncaring... that why I removed it... If I could of removed the whole thread I would of... but you guys have said what I didn't/couldn't and so much better... There is not much more I can do to help them other than buying their products. and as I stated before... I am in the process of buying a K-r... that is why it is here in this forum.
03-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #8

and what did you expect the answers on here to be? "Yes."? "No."? Or "maybe."?

03-12-2011, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Actually I was thinking about this myself, it's normal for the prices to go higher, but I would't mind at all to pay a little more to help them recover.
03-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This devastation will be felt around the world.

I hope speculators don't try to profit off of it, and make recovery even harder.

Unfortunately, they will.

It is so frustrating to feel so powerless to help.
03-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Actually I was thinking about this myself, it's normal for the prices to go higher, but I would't mind at all to pay a little more to help them recover.
Why would be normal for prices to go higher? I would mind to pay more for Pentax products, they are not Mother Theresa, profit is the game. I would not mind and i will donate to a special fund to help people affected by disaster.
03-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Something tells me you made that post only to point out to me that you're also Romanian. Cheers!
03-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #13

Then "something" is wrong. I just think different on this issue, i don't care if you are from Romania or another planet.