Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-r Dust Removal

I was checking out a K-r and enabled the dust removal feature. It generates a JPG as a result and this is what I got...the camera is new and expected it to be clean as a whistle. It was bundled w/ the 35mm F2.4 and came in w/ a v1.0 firmware so it looks like old stock. I've upgraded it to 1.01. Not sure what to make of it or to trust what I see. Its not evident when I look at the photos I've taken.

Attached Images

03-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My brand-new K5 mapped a little bit of dust in the corner. I ran the dust removal feature once, re-mapped and it was gone. Confirmed this by shooting an off-white wall at f/16 and f/22. It doesn't bother me to have a little on a new camera, as long as it is so easily taken care of.

Was the above jpeg taken after you ran the removal?
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #3

Thats is a lot of dust.
Take some pictures at f16 and probably you will see the dust in your pictures.
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The JPG is taken by the camera as feedback after running the dust removal feature.
I don't think I've taken a shot at high aperture settings. I'll try now.
I was checking the focus first w/ the aperture open wide.

03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Wow thats a lot of dust! Have you got a blower?
03-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My blower is an air compressor in the garage, but no I don't have those hand puffers and I suppose I need to add to my kit....issue for me is how you lift the mirror w/o damaging this new camera. Should I even be thinking about doing this on a new camera?
03-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a sensor cleaning setting in the menus which lifts the mirror up and keeps it there until you turn the camera off.
03-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fototix Quote
My blower is an air compressor in the garage, but no I don't have those hand puffers Should I even be thinking about doing this on a new camera?
Don't use your blower in the garage it will blow oil on your sensor and ruin it.

03-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Did You Follow The Instructions?

The manual states:

"Fully display a white wall or other bright subject with no detail in the viewfinder and press the shutter release button fully."

The first time I tried the "Dust Alert" function, I got a similar result because I didn't read the instructions.
03-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK my dust went away. Used the dust cleaning about 7-8 times. Then I did what Felix corrected me to do and the JPG is clean ! Thanks!

Now my next issue is the 35mm F2.4 is not coming tack sharp.
Whats the easiest way to calibrate the fine tuning setting ?

fototix
03-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I just checked mine and had bit of dust as well. I took the K-r into the bathroom, set the camera to sensor cleaning, took off the lens (holding the camera downward always), and used a Rocket Blower to dispense about 10 shots of air onto the sensor. Checked for dust again and not a speck!

(The camera's sensor cleaning shaking thing didn't seem to do much good for me, though I only tried it about 4-5 times.)

I was pretty nervous, but it was actually easy. I was just very careful not to touch anything inside the camera with the blower.
03-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I find this feature rather useless.
To prove it, try taking several “check for dust” shots, one after another and you’ll notice how the dust particles change their position and quantity - just keep looking at the LCD without changing anything else…
I stopped checking for dust and keep the dust removal ON. It shakes the sensor anytime the camera starts. I have never noticed any dust speckles on my pictures, have taken 6000 already, and keep changing the lenses frequently. Also I have never used anything to clean the dust inside the camera.
03-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I wondered whether or not it was accurate as well. So, I took a picture against a gray wall at a high aperture. When I examined the photo, I saw dust in all the places I remembered seeing them on the dust checker. That's when I figured it was time to do something.

Admittedly, I probably wouldn't have normally noticed the dust as I don't usually use that high an aperture. But it's nice to know it's gone ... for now.