Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

How good is K-r auto focus?

This is stemming from the video on youtube about the K-5 vs. 7000D and how much better the AF is on the Nikon. There was a reference made about the K-7 and how unreliable it was.....and it got me thinking about the newer models. Is the K-r improved over the K-x as is purported? How does it compare to the K-7.....or even the K-5.

I want to take photos of my kids soccer games. And I read that the K-r has some variation at least of a "predictive" or "tracking" AF. How well does it work....say compared to the predictive AF on the Nikon 5000? Thanks.

03-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to a review in this month's issue of Popular Photography autofocus is excellent and faster than or equal to the Nikon D3100 at all light levels, and faster than the Canon T2I in bright light, whereas the Canon is faster in low light.

Another plus according to that reveiw is that you can use a higher ISO with good result than you can with the competition. Higher ISO means that you can use a faster shutter speed so as to freeze action.
03-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Forum Member

I believe you are refering to the youtube as in your previous thread
03-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #4

This might be of interest

Bear in mind I'm using a long throw lens, in good light, and pretty close to the subjects.

I'm not sure how that relates to shooting soccer games .

And AFAIK the SAFOX IX doesn't have predictive AF tracking. I guess you need more than 11 AF points for that.

03-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks GrinMode, those turned out very well.

hramat, yes....that is the thread. Thanks.

Ole, good info on the 3100. I would imagine it has been improved from the 5000.
03-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #6

Hmm Im finding quite a few of my close-up outdoor pics are out of focus. But Ive put this down to shaky hand syndrome so far.
03-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
According to a review in this month's issue of Popular Photography autofocus is excellent and faster than or equal to the Nikon D3100 at all light levels, and faster than the Canon T2I in bright light, whereas the Canon is faster in low light.
I owned Kr

Last edited by Parallax; 03-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.
03-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstraNine Quote
Hmm Im finding quite a few of my close-up outdoor pics are out of focus. But Ive put this down to shaky hand syndrome so far.

You might need to use the AF calibration feature if it isnt shake

03-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
The consensus so far on DP Review Pentax DLSR forum is that the K-r is extremely fast, but not accurate. What say everyone here?
03-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

my AF is very accurate except in tungsten and very very fast
03-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
The consensus so far on DP Review Pentax DLSR forum is that the K-r is extremely fast, but not accurate. What say everyone here?
I hate to say it, but what you are reading over on DP Review is FAR from the consensus you are stating.

If you want a camera that focuses flawlessly in tungsten light, look elsewhere until the rumored FW comes out. Otherwise, the K-r focuses as well as any modern, mid-level dslr in daylight, and non-tungsten light above about 2EV. In light under 2EV, not many dslrs really nail focus 100% of the time.

It is unfortunate that you read the dpreview question as a consensus that the K'r autofocus is fast an innacurate...
03-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #12

How does it compare to K-x? I found K-x autofocus a bit limiting, especially in low light scenarios.
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
AF has been great for me, except for the tungsten issue. I was able to correct that with fine focus adjustments.
03-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I hate to say it, but what you are reading over on DP Review is FAR from the consensus you are stating.

If you want a camera that focuses flawlessly in tungsten light, look elsewhere until the rumored FW comes out. Otherwise, the K-r focuses as well as any modern, mid-level dslr in daylight, and non-tungsten light above about 2EV. In light under 2EV, not many dslrs really nail focus 100% of the time.

It is unfortunate that you read the dpreview question as a consensus that the K'r autofocus is fast an innacurate...
I appreciate your interpretation (and am glad you feel otherwise about the K'r AF).....but I was simply stating that the predominant responses (of those who had an actual opinion about its accuracy specifically) were of the mind that the AF was inaccurate. So maybe consensus was too strong a word as it relates to the AF in general.....but just having that many users state this is at least somewhat alarming. No, you can't always verify the creedance of each photographer and their experiences.....but I don't think it wise to wholly dismiss their comments either. It's not like just one renegade user stated this....and I think it can be counterproductive to entertain a notion that because someone states something someone else believes to be untrue for them, that they necessarily are misinformed, incompetent, or have an axe to grind. They very well could be having a different experience with their particular camera.

I try to use the internet as a tool to evaluate a decision. And to that end, it's a valuable resource at the margin. I try to weigh the "expert" analyses and the anecdotal responses.....then formulate my own consensus if possible. Yes, ultimately you have to try something out yourself to see what might work for you (and I intend to do that). But there would seem to be some value in striking a balance between a grain of salt approach.....and a wide-eyed gullibility.
03-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #15

Steves Digicams
QuoteQuote:
Pentax boasts that the K-r features an all new 11-point "SAFOX IX" autofocus system, which is an updated version of the system found on their professional series K-7. They claim this new system is fast and accurate in various lighting conditions. During our tests, I found these claims to be quite accurate. The camera was able to quickly and accurately lock focus on my subjects, even while shooting in marginal lighting. Thanks to the AF-assist lamp, the camera is even able to acquire focus in almost total darkness; as long as your subject is within the lamp's effective range. While I was pleased with the K-r's AF performance, I found it a bit odd that the camera defaults to 5-point mode, instead of 11-point. Changing between the two, I didn't notice any difference in performance, so I was puzzled as to why Pentax chose 5-point as the default factory setting.
Photo Review
QuoteQuote:
The camera was a little faster to focus than the K-x in bright conditions but equally slow to adjust to brightness changes. Nevertheless, focus tracking wasn't particularly fast and some hunting occurred in poorly-lit situations.
Digital Camera Review
QuoteQuote:
AF is consistently fast and accurate even in dull lighting. Continuous AF (which continually adjusts focus as the shooter follows a moving subject) works pretty nicely in most action/sports shooting situations.
Not CDAF speed in particular
Infosync
QuoteQuote:
Pentax has been praising the K-r for its burst speeds, which reach up to 6fps, but the highlight for us was the Roadrunner speed of the camera's firmware. The Pentax K-r allowed us to rifle through options at a blazing pace, with not even a hiccup, proving itself one of the fastest cameras we've tested to date. Adding to our expedited shooting experience was the lightning fast Auto Focus in Live View. When set to Live View, the Pentax K-r will swiftly zoom in on a point of interest, focus, and zoom back out, all the while spouting mechanical shrieks. Yes, it's not quiet, but it's highly efficient, especially when we used the 11-point SAFOX IX AF system and took advantage of the customizable focus point box.
Personally I never had a misfocused shot in AF unless if the often mentioned low light Tungsten.

I forgot to mention that so far no review has mentioned the Tungsten FF problem. Not saying that it doesn't exist, as I experience it myself