Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-r and battary life

I treated myself to white K-r a few days ago, still learning it, but I noticed one thing about this camera that I've never experience with my previous Pentax or Canon DSLRs.
Fully charged standard Pentax 1050 mAh Li-ion battery lasted under 200 shots without flash. Out of these shots approximately 20 were taken with LV.
Now this is a little disappointing, my 5D Mark 2 can take over 600 easily, Pentax K10D was about the same, and even cameras as ancient as istD* or K100D were able to take well over 200 on Eneloops.

Did anybody tried Eneloops in K-r? Are they any better then standard square battery?
Are there any third party rechargeables with better capacity available of Fleebay?

Thanks.

Last edited by awo425; 03-16-2011 at 04:29 AM.
03-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used eneloops and the standard battery and have had excellent battery life with both. You may have an issue.
03-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As I recall, LV was quite draining on my K-x (I now have K-5). I wouldn't be surprised if this is still an issue on the K-r, though I don't know for sure. But Eneloops or Energizer Lithiums are all I used in my K-x or K200D. I'd try the Energizer Lithiums first, since they'd typically last around 2200 shots for me on my K-x (I usually had minimal flash or LV use). Also, they are great in flashes and battery grips as well (I buy mine at Sam's Club). And you can pick up a third party battery adapter cheaply.

Last edited by DSims; 03-16-2011 at 12:19 AM.
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM   #4

The battery pack requires several cycles of charging (~5 I think) before it gets its optimal capacity.

I never have experienced running out of juice. But I rarely use live view, and I got picky with my shots . I do chimp a lot though.

03-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think they could have packed more power into the battery, theres certainly room to add more cells in the area where the last AA battery goes in. I wonder why they didnt just make the lithium ion batteries in the shape of a filled AA adaptor to increase the capacity.

I've never actually managed to run out of battery before. I use the camera, get home and always charge the battery even if it never runs out (read How to prolong lithium-based batteries for why I do this). The most pictures I've taken on a single photo session was about 400.
03-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Try another set of rechargeables. Are these you used now new? Also, as you probably know, in cold/colder temp the rechargebles can drain very quickly.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, you'll figure it out.
03-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
Try another set of rechargeables. Are these you used now new? Also, as you probably know, in cold/colder temp the rechargebles can drain very quickly.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, you'll figure it out.
I am not referring to rechargeables, I get under 200 shots on a standard square Pentax 1050 mAh Li-ion battery that is sold with K-r

Last edited by awo425; 03-16-2011 at 04:27 AM.
03-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
Battery life has been surprisingly good compared to what I was expecting. I use Live View fairly regularly since it's a great tool paired with the manual lenses. I bought the adapter and filled it with Eneloops, but I've never run out of power with the lithium yet, so it's really untested. I've never felt the need to keep a count of total pictures, so I don't know how many I'm getting. I don't do any event shooting any more, so maybe I just don't take as many shots at one time...
03-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #9

Im finding the same, battery life is not very good. Admittedly it is only two charging cycles in so hopefully things will improve.
03-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't done any real comparisons but I think the Li-Ion doesn't last as nearly long as a set of eneloops. But I have bought two cheap Chinese Li-Ions and a battery adapter (and got plenty of eneloops for it) so I think I'm not going run out of power any time soon.
03-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #11

Reading some of the reviews on various sites, it was made a point that the Li-Ion battery brick is smaller than comparable cameras due to the sizing constraints caused by the flexibility of using AA's with the adapter. Is it smaller?
03-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree. The more you charge, the better it gets. My first charge lasted one day and I wasn't taking many pictures, just fooling around in the menu, changing settings and learning the camera. I was very disappointed. Second charge was much much better.

Coming from a camera that didn't have an optical viewfinder (Fuji S100fs), I was very used to using LiveView. I hardly ever use it now and I think that really helps save the battery. I do like to use it for certain situations, though.

I think you will notice a big improvement, the more you use the battery and the more charge cycles.
03-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #13

I have also experienced quite bad battery life with K-r. It got little better after several charges, but isn't still great. I haven taken about 500 images and have had to charge the battery at least 6 or 7 times. Not many pictures have been taken with the flash. Hopefully, battery life still improves.
03-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Forum Member

I never take more than 100 photos at a time and I recharge between shoots, so I have never depleted my battery.

<troll> Therefore, the capacity is just fine and there is no such thing as a battery capacity problem. Sure, someone could come up with some crazy scenario to force their battery to run out of juice early, but that isn't real-world battery usage. I also bought a second battery and use it if I plan to shoot more than 200 photos at a time. People who think there is a problem are imagining things and just looking for something to complain about. </troll>
03-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #15

I have found that even after more than 5 charges I got less battery life than I expected also. It is up from when I first got it but still less than 500.

I bought the AA battery holder and inserted the same batteries (Energizer Rechargeable) I used in my K200D and so far I have over 300 shots and the battery display is still green.

I bought the holder because I didn't like the recharge time and I wanted to ensure I wouldn't be without power. I use the Li-on for back up.