Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

How fragile is the Kr?

So I updated from the K200d to Kr last week. I was planning on selling the K200. Now I am having second thoughts. I know the K200 is weather resisitent with all kinds of seals and such, but exactly how much more durable/rugged is the K200 to the Kr? Is the weather resistant feature more of a sales pusher? Is it really that much more durable than the Kr? I can take my Kr outdoors during nice weather cant I? I mean Im not super weather resistent myself. I dont plan on shooting in hurricanes or blizzards, and I dont plan on summiting Kilaminjaro anytime soon. I saw in the manual that you shouldnt use the Kr in temps below 0c. This is what made me ponder.

03-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

I can't speak for the K-r as of yet (on the way).....but I have the *istDL and I have used it in temperatures below zero F. It starts to slow way down if left in those kinds of temps for more than a few minutes......but it still will function. Much of it has to do with choice of batteries as well. Since the K-r has the lithium ion brick and the option to use lithium aa's.....I can't imagine it would hurt it to use well below zero degrees C. Unless there is something I don't know about it.

I'm guessing that Pentax is suggesting the zero C rating because it will function BEST above that temp.
03-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I routinely used my K-r at temperatures below 0C for the last few months with no problems. Obviously, battery life drops pretty quickly at low temperatures, but that is the nature of batteries and nothing to do with the camera. I feel my K-r is pretty robust - I wouldn't use it in a sand storm or hurricane, but I did get it pretty wet with snow the other day (fell while skiing with it) and it certainly seemed none the worse for the wear! Like you, I don't plan on shooting in hurricanes or on mountain tops with it, so I am fairly confident that I am OK with it not being "Weather Resistant".
03-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've used my k-r a couple of times in -20c without problems. Just make sure you don't expose it to room temperature too fast when coming inside. I usually leave my camera inside the (also cold) bag and place it in somewhere not too warm place when I come back inside from zubzero shooting excursions. That way the camera warms up slowly and without condensation problems.

03-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I was meaning in more general terms. I just used the temperature recommendations as an example.

Theres probably not an exact answer to this. Im more wondering if the Kr needs to be babied and/or is the weather resistant features of other models that big of a difference?

Not that Im gonna beat it up. Im slowing down in my old age. I do go out on the water sailing/power boating though. I never got a drop on K200 doing that though. Is a light rain/mist something to worry about with the Kr? Is high heat/humidity of Summer in Chicago gonna be an issue? Things like that.

I good trick in the cold is to keep a spare set of batteries in an inside pocket against your body. When the ones in the camera crap out from the temp, swap them. The new ones will be warm and ready to go. The cold ones will warm up and regenerate a bit.
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

I used the k-r at Niagara falls in the middle of winter... while it was slightly raining. I was very happy with the result... The battery held together well. It said it was almost dying (I had used the camera extensively the day before and forgot to charge it), but the battery took a good 80-100 more pictures without giving out. It was misty on both sides (U.S. and Canadian) of the falls, and I did protect it with my coat while walking around, but it was exposed while I took pictures. It never failed.

Keep in mind - it never was rained on, but the camera did get moist, and cold... I had to wear gloves it was so cold... but not a problem for the camera...

I wouldn't go into pouring rain with it and not cover it, but it certainly held its own.
03-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies. They put me at ease.

Now, Should I get rid of the K200d?

03-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thebigcat Quote
Now, Should I get rid of the K200d?
I also went from K200D to K-r and the only thing I miss is the top lcd. I sold it but if I had kept it I doubt I would use it much because K-r wins it in every other aspect.

OTOH a backup body is nice to have. I had to send my K-r to have it's e-dial repaired and I was glad I still had mu trusty K100D so I didn't have to be completely Pentaxless.