Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Just bought a KR - What else do I need?

I am new to the world of DSLR.

I just bought a KR 18-55 and 55-200 kit. Any suggestions on the first accesories I should get.

SD cards - which ones?
Battery holder - or stick with the included rechargealbe?
Bag - considering the lowepro fast pack 100
Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks

03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Welcome to the world of DSLR (good choice, by the way. ) I bought the same kit.

SD cards- It depends on what you want your K-r to do for you. I'm guessing since you purchased one that a lot of the reasoning was because of its mid-range feature set. If you want to shoot HD video (even the 720p), and want to shoot in burst mode at 6fps.....then you probably want at least a Class 6 card or better. I just bought a Transcend 8 gig Class 10, but I think the Class 6 will do fine if you don't buy too cheap. The classes are supposed to mean a minimum of whatever number it is for write speed, but there are some arbitrary overlaps from the lower classes. A SanDisk Class 6 might be able to outperform a Class 10 by many companies, for example.

AA battery holder or lithium stick? - Why not both? That takes advantage of the strengths of each. I did purchase a backup lithium stick, but I also intend to buy the adapter for situations where I might lose a battery or run one down unwittingly.

Bags - Lowepro does make some nice products for a reasonable price. You might also look at the Tamrac Velocity series packs. They are built very solid. Ebay is your friend.

Another suggestion would be LCD screen protectors (either fitted or peel and stick), a 52mm UV filter for protection of lens when the cap is off, and....in spite of the shake reduction attributes (and as you expand your photography palette), purchase a decent tripod for even sharper shots in low light conditions. I have a Slik Sprint Mini that has taken a lot of hard use.....it's small and light and very versatile. Might be too light for certain conditions, but I usually get very sharp shots using it. Finally, if you're into landscape photography, consider a circular polarizer and maybe even a graduated neutral density filter.

Oh, and get a bulb blower to clean the sensor.....just in case. I've heard lots of good things about the special coating and the dust removal, but if you still get spots you can try to clean them yourself without spending a lot having it done (blower quite effective on my *istDL which has no dust removal system).

Last edited by ccd333; 03-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.
03-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

PM me when you're ready to buy an adapter. I am saving one in case any of them get lost, so assuming nothing bad happens, I should have 1 left that you can snatch up.

As far as SD cards is concerned, you probably want a decently fast one cause the K-r can do 6 fps and HD video. Sandisk Extremes are always good (but expensive though).

Bag...I think a Lowepro Fastpak 100 would be a good choice for your kit.

Enjoy the camera and worry about other things later (flash, macro, etc.).
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

SD card wise, I would get the fastest class you can buy. I have a few Toshiba 4gb class 6 and class 10 which are cheap and get the job done. check ebay.

As for batteries, I just bought an extra battery from ebay for about $15. It probably won't last as long as the pentax one but it's just a spare. They are small enough that I'd even buy another one if it works ok.

Bag, depends on your gear and what you take with you and what you'll get in the future. I have a larger sling bag which holds quite a bit and then just a small case when I throw on a prime and don't feel like lugging all my gear around.

Get the essentials, the other stuff comes with time and enjoy your camera. I recommend the website craft and vision which sells $5 ebooks on the importance of vision and not gear. enjoy.

03-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A Giotto rocket blower for cleaning the sensor.
03-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I'm a novice of this fine community, but i have a few words for you.

Don't rush to buy accesories or lenses, take it slow, watch the hobby grow. You have the (fine) apparatus, go out and discover it, take pictures, you'll see along the way what more you'll be needing.

What i've bought, recently:
# K-R kits with the 55-300mm
# Sandisk 8GB EXTREME III SDHC SD Card Class 6
# Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter
# Caselogic SLRC-205 SLR Camera Sling
# Tiffen 52mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter < this one might be very useful to you. Most filters can be applied software these days but not this one.

I also recommend slowly starting to learn Photoshop to be able to process the RAW photos you'll get. This might seem a difficult task, but with the right guide it isn't that complicated.

Start with understanding the histogram.

Never shoot important photos in .jpg

Best wishes!

/salutes the Pentax community
03-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #7

I bought the same kit plus a Giotto rocket blower. Fairly happy for the moment but I would like a longer lens at some point.
03-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the Advice

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am very glad I stumbled onto this forum. It has been a wonderfuls resource already.

03-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second SanDisk Extreme III and the battery advice.
The first accessory I bought for my K10D (besides a second lens, a blower and a bag) was a second battery, and I'm so happy to have that. The battery lasts very long for my usage, so I usually forget to think about whether it's properly charged or not, and I don't have to think of it, since I always keep a fully charged spare battery in my bag. If I had the K-r, I'd buy the battery holder instead, and at least one set of Eneloop batteries.
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New firmware...8~)
03-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #11

Get a new Camera or the rumored K-r FF-Update

Seriously, return your K-r as long as you can! Otherwise, you are stuck with a frontfocussing nuissance for the next years. Pentax promised a FW-update more than a month ago. Now, there is no word about it. Forget it.
03-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would suggest holding of any purchases that can only be used with the K-R until you decide if front focusing troubles you or not (or until the firmware is released). For example don't buy lenses (unless you are prepared to upgrade to k5 if you return your kr), any adaptors, etc. and just stick with the transferable items such as SD cards, bags, tripods, filters. This way if you decide to return the camera you can still use the items on the new ones.

I used to think FF didn't affect me, and I bought many Pentax specific items now it is too late for me to turn back. Learn from my mistakes.
03-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #13

I wouldn't buy any SD cards on Ebay though...there are too many fakes on there.
03-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #14

I have good luck with SD cards from Newegg, Amazon or Buy.com. 8gb seems to be the sweet spot for pricing these days. I have a few 16gb cards I use for my HD video camcorder. I would consider getting 16's or 32's if you intend to do a lot of video.
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #15

For SD cards, the bigger the better, and I believe class 6 is a reasonable minimum, for shooting video in particular. I wouldn't bother with anything less than an 8gb nowadays. I've had good luck using my camera without LCD protector: seems to be fairly scratch resistant (no marks after a year of use), and I can see things much more clearly. A tripod is a nice thing to have... Still searching for a perfect camera bag...