Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Moon Shots with the K-R 200mm? 300MM?

Has anyone gotten any close up MOON shots with their K-R? I am curious to see what the differences are.

18mm-55mm lens?

200mm lens?

300mm lens?

just in case you are thinking it... I mean the one in the sky!


Chuck


Last edited by chukers; 03-20-2011 at 09:11 PM.
03-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 119
using this one as background so i did a little pp on it. It was shot with kr using sigma 70-300 @ 300mm, iso 100, F10, 1/60th, -3 step bias(is there a eazy way to link exif?)
Attached Images
 
03-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Forum Member
chukers's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 53
Original Poster
Here is my best shot with my current camera... I can see the differences!

Chuck
Attached Images
 
03-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,058
Well this is with a K-x but same idea.
Taken with an Soligar 400mm (US$20 worth).

Moon shot 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think a longer focal length then 400 would be better but the trick for me was to have a sufficiently fast enough shutter speed (1/320th in above example) or the moon will move too much!

03-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 269
Wow that's quite detailed, better than my best moon shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well this is with a K-x but same idea.
Taken with an Soligar 400mm (US$20 worth).

Moon shot 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think a longer focal length then 400 would be better but the trick for me was to have a sufficiently fast enough shutter speed (1/320th in above example) or the moon will move too much!
03-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,551
My apologies to the OP if this is not a direct response to your question as I use a K20D and not the requested K-R.

Nevertheless, I thought it'd be interesting sharing my experience doing something crazy: I stuck a DA*50-135mm on a Teleplus 2X converter and then that whole combination on a Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF which got me to ca. 400mm and this result:

03-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
My apologies to the OP if this is not a direct response to your question as I use a K20D and not the requested K-R.

Nevertheless, I thought it'd be interesting sharing my experience doing something crazy: I stuck a DA*50-135mm on a Teleplus 2X converter and then that whole combination on a Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF which got me to ca. 400mm and this result:
Hi,

could you please share the exif information, i.e. shutter speed, aperture and ISO?
03-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian
newmikey's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,551
QuoteOriginally posted by doozer Quote
Hi,

could you please share the exif information, i.e. shutter speed, aperture and ISO?
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K20D
Software - GIMP 2.6.11
DateTime - 2011:03:19 01:11:52
ExposureTime - 1/350 seconds
FNumber - 6.70
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
DateTimeOriginal - 2011:03:19 01:14:21
DateTimeDigitized - 2011:03:19 01:14:21
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
FocalLength - 400.00 mm
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Auto

03-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario,NY
Posts: 8
K-R with 55-300mm kit lens. 100% crop with increase in shadow with Picasa
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
03-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Make - PENTAX
Model - PENTAX K20D
Software - GIMP 2.6.11
DateTime - 2011:03:19 01:11:52
ExposureTime - 1/350 seconds
FNumber - 6.70
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
DateTimeOriginal - 2011:03:19 01:14:21
DateTimeDigitized - 2011:03:19 01:14:21
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
FocalLength - 400.00 mm
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
Thanks! Your picture looks great. Just yesterday I was trying to take a picture of the moon and totally blew it by using way too long shutterspeeds. So they all were completely blurred and somehow it didn't came to my mind, that the moon is moving so fast, that you can't use 15 seconds exposure...
03-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 119
QuoteOriginally posted by doozer Quote
Thanks! Your picture looks great. Just yesterday I was trying to take a picture of the moon and totally blew it by using way too long shutterspeeds. So they all were completely blurred and somehow it didn't came to my mind, that the moon is moving so fast, that you can't use 15 seconds exposure..
ya i did that the day b4 the super moon also lol, didnt work out good
03-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 115
San Francisco Moon Shots

Well because you asked here are more moons. We've been tortured with bad weather and missed the full moon here in San Francisco but I got a couple earlier shots in. Both were just experiments since I've only had the K-r for a month (and it's my first DSLR; I stopped shooting with my Minolta well over a decade ago). Here's the stats:

Moon 1 date: 3/11
f5.8, 1/320 sec, ISO400, 300mm

Moon 2 date: 3/18
f5.8, 1/200 sec, ISO200, 300mm

Both pix were handheld, K-r with Pentax DA-L 55-300, and both have been cropped and otherwise Lightroom'd.
Attached Images
   

Last edited by piledon; 03-22-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add lens info
03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,175
Again, not with the K-r, but with my K200D and the DA 55-300mm. Handheld, manual focus, ISO 100, f/8, 1/1000th of a second. The point being the 55-300 works quite well. I recommend 300mm over 200mm because you will still have to crop.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/137406-night-super-moon.html#post1434115
03-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 64
Hi! I took several pictures with the Kr and a 300mm lens last week and posted one under the thread that was set up for it. It was my first try using such lens and manually focusing so I was happy with the results. You can check it out under the other thread!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200mm, camera, k-r, kr, lens, moon, pentax k-r, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
February Moon (feel free to post your moon shots) GLThorne Post Your Photos! 11 05-02-2016 12:00 PM
The moon with DA* 200mm + AF 1.7x arm_jstp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-16-2011 02:49 PM
Nature Moon shots (yop, one more thread on the moon) Martin_Qc Post Your Photos! 3 05-25-2010 10:01 PM
300mm vs 400mm vs 500mm moon shots little laker Post Your Photos! 5 10-25-2007 03:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top