Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #151

Silly old me...! I whinged and moaned and wailed like a banshee - when in its infinite wisdom - the Australian Govt Banned Incandescent Light Bulbs here....!

It's now quite clear that they were well aware of the little niggle the coming K-R might have - and acted bravely and promptly to alleviate any inconveniences to Aussie K-R users...!

And it's most cosily heartwarming to realise that they do work so hard to serve our slightest - and 'lightest' - interests...

Dave.

04-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #152

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
What does the secondary sensor have to do with it when older Pentax SLRs performed just better - pre-firmware fix - without it?

Should just mean the K-5 focuses faster or something, no?
Older Pentax front focused, although to a lesser degree than the K-r, and the K-5 before the latest f/w.

And it's not just Pentax, other brands do as well.

It may be the new Safox IX. Let's just hope it's not a design flaw but more of fine tuning the thing.
04-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Newbie question about AF.... we all know that the Kr doesnt support auto focus during video.. is that a matter of software development or is a hardware thing??? i mean cuz if they throw a new firmware and this is a matter of software... it could be nice to have auto fucus during video.. =P
04-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Newbie question about AF.... we all know that the Kr doesnt support auto focus during video.. is that a matter of software development or is a hardware thing??? i mean cuz if they throw a new firmware and this is a matter of software... it could be nice to have auto fucus during video.. =P
I'm not sure but I guess it's both. AF support may be enabled through software, but then the hardware might not be up for it.

First, you'll have to content with the loud AF motor, assuming you don't have SDM.

Then the camera might be continuously focusing that you don't get anything at all. Just the lens focusing in and out.

04-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #155
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Its got to be software, the camera is losing out in many reviews for not having AF in video, they would gain sales by adding it in for sure. I know the AF noise will ruin the audio ... but the audio ain't that great to begin with, really need an audio input if you are serious on the sound front.

Seen a few reviews putting K-r at around 88%, the video AF will tip it into the 90's and win more versus the Nikon 3100 that doesn't do bracketing.
04-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #156

I just got my K-r back from service nr 2 with the advice to use the tungsten white balance preset for better focusing in indoor lighting conditions. I've been trying that out tonight and I have to say that the AF improvement is marginal at best. I still don't get accurate AF under my yellowish CFL:s. With the AF-adjust to -10 it's still not quite there and even if it was I'd have to switch the AF-adjust depending on lighting conditions.

So, I'm still waiting for a fw update to fix the AF. Hopefully a fix will arrive before I return my K-r.

Edit: Regarding the video AF discussion. The normal AF (phase detect) requires the mirror to be down and it can't be used during video without blocking the image. The Live View AF (contrast detect) could theoretically be used but since it's not very fast and hunts a lot for focus it probably would ruin the video.
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #157

Original Poster
It's a bit annoying that pentax is releasing freaking lots of different colour models of k-r rather than fixing the FF problem.
04-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #158

extremely annoying, yes. i'm starting to doubt it will ever come.

04-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eatfrog Quote
extremely annoying, yes. i'm starting to doubt it will ever come.
Me too.
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM - 3 Likes   #160

OK. I just wrote a very lengthy e-mail to Pentax Japan asking about firmware update in Japanese. If they are working on it, if they are when it will be released, if not what do they think about it. I also told them many people who owns K-r are upset and Pentax should at least explain their stance on their web site. I think I will be totally ignored but I had to try at least.

I work in an Automotive component company in the US where parent company is located in Japan, southern part of Tokyo. Our parent company is still having issue to run their plant due to power shortage. Since our customers automotive OEM are not able to run the production due to parts shortage, our company sales are very not great shape right now, losing $10s million sales... Anything that will save money and bring money those are the priority right now for Japanese companies and I do not think Pentax is not the exception.

I can work around the FF issue right now and being able to take photos in optimal condition by adjusting settings in my own humble way that is the reason I get DSLR, otherwise I will just get P&S. So I am not too concerned right now, besides every machine has its own characteristic and being an engineer I have not yet seen a perfect machine.... Oh well, it is what it is, I will try to do a good job regardless...

Of all that I said, I think they can at least announce their plan if any or if don't for K-r situation on their web site... So, let's see if they even respond my e-mail....
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #161

^ +rep to you

I also sent out a pretty lengthy email (but to Pentax in the US) with a lot of links to threads with heavy activity on message boards all over the internet about the front focus issue.
04-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been eyeing the k-r ever since it was released, but the only thing holding me back is this FF problem
04-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #163
Forum Member

I had been happy with the K-r, my first SLR, having some great outdoor shots, indoors I thought my shots were poor due to lack of light. Must admit I saw these "FF problem" threads and thought "Yeah right, probably some tiny issue blown COMPLETELY out of proportion", then I did some tests, how wrong I was ! Focus is completely out under indoor lighting even if explicit white balance is selected.

Considering returning and jumping to a Canon 550D, alternative Pentaxes are too much for me in the UK market.

Would definitely keep the faith if Pentax confirmed a fix is coming. The fact that they have not stated this makes me think no fix is coming, maybe its not firmware fixable.
04-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by BobDoLe Quote
^ +rep to you

I also sent out a pretty lengthy email (but to Pentax in the US) with a lot of links to threads with heavy activity on message boards all over the internet about the front focus issue.
I just got an email response from Pentax which is almost a verbatim copy of what another member on another thread posted from Pentax.
QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We have heard back from PENTAX in Japan on information we submitted regarding reports of a K-r front focus issue when shooting under Tungsten light. They have confirmed this and have supplied the following workaround.

PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of *front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).

We have no additional information or timeline regarding a possible fix.

Again, the workaround for a K-r front focusing issue when shooting under Tungsten (incandescent) light is to specify Tungsten as the White Balance instead of using Auto White Balance.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
I guess we wait and see what comes from pentax.jp
Rest assured, their handling of this will directly influence if I switch to Nikon when the time comes to upgrade.
04-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also sent an email to German support of Pentax.

QuoteQuote:
Dear Sirs,

I'm experiencing a well known Front-Focus issue on my recently bought Pentax K-r.
As I have learned this is a common problem with this camera and is heavily discussed in internet forums worldwide.

Meanwhile interested customers are considering other brands/models because of the faulty focus system.

Please advise, when Pentax will react and release a new firmware for the K-r to fix that issue.

Many thanks in advance,
Please feel free to copy this text and writeup your own email to Pentax-Support at the following websites:

- US
- Canada

- Germany
- France
- UK
- Netherlands

p.s. :
I'm using 80% of the time manual focus lenses and for the rest point and shoot AF-lenses. Therefore I haven't been in trouble too much with the error, but I have seen it and it is pretty annoying. Never the less is the K-r a very good camera and does it's job very well.

Last edited by kheldour; 04-26-2011 at 09:59 PM.