Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 04:15 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Only bad news if they TRY to put out a firmware fix when they know it won't work well, it could be good news if they offer to retro fit replacement module or replace faulty units.
I think you are misreading this. With the line "We have put newly designed AF module in this model to improve the capability", he probably means the new module in the K-r, as compared to the older models, like the K-7. NOT a new model designed to fix the FF issue.
In other words, it sounds like we're screwed, and that Pentax is not intending to do anything about it...

The line is ambiguous, though, so it would be nice to have it confirmed.

05-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
I think you are misreading this. With the line "We have put newly designed AF module in this model to improve the capability", he probably means the new module in the K-r, as compared to the older models, like the K-7. NOT a new model designed to fix the FF issue.
In other words, it sounds like we're screwed, and that Pentax is not intending to do anything about it...
I think 'screwed' is a bit over the top, at this stage.

QuoteQuote:
They would be well advised to do that however
05-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #198
Forum Member

Anybody waiting for a fix is just dreaming, IMO. Usually a new camera will be released in August in this line up. August is now only 3 months away. What makes you think that they would release a ff now for K-r? Releasing a FF now would kill the sales of their next model.

It is too late, move on!
05-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #199

Photos: Albums

You are correct. K-r has new AF module already, that was what I read from the original e-mail I got. They are not talking about replacing existing module. They do not have any countermeasure at this point.

05-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by knishita Quote
You are correct. K-r has new AF module already, that was what I read from the original e-mail I got. They are not talking about replacing existing module. They do not have any countermeasure at this point.
Maybe you could ask them if they plan to replace / repair them in affected models?
05-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #201

Knishita, perhaps you can tell your Pentax contact, in the same spirit that we understand that replacing the sensor module will be "difficult," Daijobu!

As a new Pentax owner/user with a little knowledge of Japanese, I believe this is the most appropriate sentiment. The K-x and K-r have introduced many new customers to Pentax. Customers who will think of Pentax as the company with the shutter slap and faulty AF, so I'm sure everything will be just fine and Pentax will rapidly build market share and reposition itself as a purveyor of quality goods commanding premium prices.

After all, consumers remember nothing and are very forgiving, particularly in this era of social media and online communities like this. Verglace and other experienced customers will be efficient "Brand ambassadors" for Pentax, spreading the word about Pentax quality to a global audience.

I wonder if any of the Hoya/Pentax management went to school with the boys from Tepco?

Great business strategies everywhere in the new Japan!

Daijobu.

Last edited by Taobat; 05-01-2011 at 08:39 AM.
05-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I have had little firsthand frustration with the FF issue, I can sympathize with those who have. And I'm sure it will raise its ugly head at a most inopportune time for me at some point. If Pentax truly does not plan to make this camera whole, that is indeed a rather crappy way to treat its customers.

If they are indeed putting new improved units in newer K-r's, they simply must replace them for free in the cameras that were already purchased. While the K-r is not exactly expensive as dSLR's go, it still represents a rather large investment for many of us.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my camera as I've been lucky with this issue so far. But I'm watching this with interest.

05-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #203

What is known about the camera replacing the k-r?
05-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
Maybe you could ask them if they plan to replace / repair them in affected models?
Can somebody tell me how to check if I have this problem as now I am seeing some dont experience this issue - let me see If I was lucky?
05-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote

If they are indeed putting new improved units in newer K-r's, they simply must replace them for free in the cameras that were already purchased. While the K-r is not exactly expensive as dSLR's go, it still represents a rather large investment for many of us.
As I said above, and as knishita confirmed, there are no improved replacement sensors.
05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #206
Veteran Member

As I said above, and as knishita confirmed, there are no improved replacement sensors.
Oh, I see. I was misreading what you guys were saying. Thanks for the clarification.
05-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #207

Bad news for us and also for Pentax. At least in many countries in Europe, one should get his/her money back, if Pentax isn't going to fix this defect. Consumer can expect that autofocus works reliably in camera this expensive. Maybe it's time for some kind of class action... What we need is a working camera. If it means hardware changes and call backs then that's what Pentax have to do.

Some are saying that also other cameras (from Canon or Nikon) have similar problems. It's odd that none of my previous cameras have had any kind of similar or this bad problems. For instance, Canon 550D works fine indoors.
05-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Can somebody tell me how to check if I have this problem as now I am seeing some dont experience this issue - let me see If I was lucky?
Go here.
PENTAX DSLRs: PART-1. Free Autofocus Adjustment charts for front and back focusing problems. Good for Pentax, Canon and Nikon.
05-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #209
Forum Member

Asking for trouble?

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
If you have the problem, believe me, you will know it. It is pronounced and obvious. There is no need to photograph focus charts unless you already know that the focus is incorrect and you need to measure it.

Ignorance is bliss. If you are happy with your camera, why go looking for problems?
05-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #210

QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
If you have the problem, believe me, you will know it. It is pronounced and obvious. There is no need to photograph focus charts unless you already know that the focus is incorrect and you need to measure it.

Ignorance is bliss. If you are happy with your camera, why go looking for problems?
Have you got a sample you could link to? I've seen some examples on the web, but nothing shot with a K-r.