Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #241

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
Thanks for trolling. Come back when the thread hits page 32.
You caught me! HA. If I was, you for some completely unbeknown reason acknowledged it .

But no. If you read back through the last 16 pages, nearly all will have a generic "Pentax shouldn't let this happen / they should fix it now / I won't reward them with more money" whinge. Then there will be a discussion about the severity and when Pentax may release the fix, followed by a debate as to if there will in fact be a fix at all, again more talk that it's not the end of the world....back to sqaure one. My god, that's not a pattern at all, I must be trolling....

05-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #242
Forum Member

crf529,

Seriously, just don't read this thread. Sure some things are going to repeat - everyone has different experiences, even if there might be recurring themes.

When the thread started we had basically no idea if anything would be done. Unfortunately since then we've learned that it might not be possible for Pentax to resolve the issue. Due to Pentax not officially releasing any sort of statement, we've had conflicting messages from various service departments. No wonder there's going to be a lot of discussion about what the different groups were saying.

And then we've had the posts from people saying "stop whining and go take pictures". Um. Yes, I am taking pictures, and many of them I'm very happy with, thank you. It just so happens that I bought this camera because it was supposed to be good in low light and I wanted to use it for family shots indoors. The issue matters to me and many others, and attempts to trivialize it will not help anyone.
05-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #243

I don't believe I'm trivializing it, and I will continue to read this thread as my K-r also suffers from FF. Discussion is fine and will help everyone understand what is or isn't occurring in regards to the issue. But when people continually use the thread to instead post their own personal mission statement as to how a business should operate, the discussion this generates is as useless as "get out there and shoot MF"...

I just wan't info about the FF fix from Pentax, in this the "Who else are waiting for a firmware update for K-r to fix the FF problem" thread. I don't know why you feel the need to vilify me over only wanting information that is actually relevant? This repetition of already established facts and personal beliefs concerns the timeline for a fix, in what universe?
05-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #244
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
I just wan't info about the FF fix from Pentax, in this the "Who else are waiting for a firmware update for K-r to fix the FF problem" thread. I don't know why you feel the need to vilify me over only wanting information that is actually relevant? This repetition of already established facts and personal beliefs concerns the timeline for a fix, in what universe?
On that note, there are conflicting reports everywhere (including forums on other sites) about whether this can or can't be fixed through firmware. I even found one site saying that a fix was in beta testing when the earthquake hit. All this seems a little outdated now.
Has anyone had any recent contact with Pentax Support? Maybe it's time to fire off some more enquiries. Whether the answer can be relied on is another matter.

05-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #245
Veteran Member

If you don't want to read about people complaining about the FF issue then don't read a thread about the FF issue...

In any case, I found the perfect fix for the FF issue, get a refund buy another camera. If you insist on staying with Pentax, there are still plenty of K-x's and K-7's out there that are the same price as the K-r. If you feel let down by pentax then there are great/better alternatives.
05-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #246

La mia esperienza con k-r:
con l'obiettivo kit le cose non andavano male, anzi, credevo che non vi fosse il difetto.
L'ho sostituito con 3 lenti usate e nuove più 'divertenti': pentax 18-250, pentax 35 mm. 2.4 e tamron 28-75 2.8
tutti lo stesso problema: sotto luce artificiale (pressoché di tutti i tipi) non mettono a fuoco a tutta apertura o comunque a grandi aperture.
Il problema è meno evidente chiudendo un po', ma comunque almeno sempre sopra 5.0
il problema scompare regolando a -10.
niente problemi con LV
Regolare il bilanciamento del bianco su tugsteno migliora solo 'un pelino'.
Alla luce del giorno torna tutto normale, anzi, se si regola a -10 è tutto fuori fuoco.

Che dire? Di certo non è il massimo della soddisfazione usare il 35mm. o il tamron a diaframma chiuso con poca luce.

per il resto grande 'macchinetta', belle lenti, belle foto............. speriamo nel firmware!
05-26-2011, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #247
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
I found the perfect fix for the FF issue, get a refund buy another camera.
The quote is why I find this thread to be continuously evolving and relevant. It is representative of a growing trend on K-r discussion forums.

The only repetition I see are people new to the issue and those who are stuck too long in one phase of "the process". Here are the thematic patterns and steps of the ownership process:

1) Validation. Discussion regarding identification, diagnosis & validation of the problem. At this time, people frequently posted examples of ff and focus charts. This includes commentary from those who are fortunate enough to not experience the problem.

2) Coping. Discussion of solutions, work-arounds, waiting, and people making the best of what they have. It may seem dismissive, but it is a coping mechanism to say, "If you can't shoot indoors, then get outside and shoot!"

And now the new and growing theme:

3) Resignation. Discussion about people abandoning the K-r for other cameras. Some sell, some simply keep their camera, but no longer as their primary.

If you can validate the problem and cannot cope with the problem, it is only a matter of time before you resign. It is bad for a company in the long term to have too many customers resign. People do not look forward to becoming so dissatisfied that they quit. It has a negative impact on brand loyalty.

If you cannot validate the problem or can cope with the problem, then your next stop is obsolescence. You'll probably keep the camera until the next best thing for you comes along. People look forward to replacing their stale product with the next best thing. Long term, this is the ideal state for your customers and builds brand loyalty.

What I have seen is Pentax built brand loyalty with the K-x and is subsequently destroying it with the K-r. What a shame.
05-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #248
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
I guess I took the "bla bla bla" more negatively than it was intended? Or more broadly or something. I've just had enough of the responses trying to tell those unhappy with the problem that it shouldn't concern them so much, so it felt like yet another attack. I do agree that there's more repetition than there needs to be.

Last edited by torpesco; 05-26-2011 at 11:10 PM.
05-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #249
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
In any case, I found the perfect fix for the FF issue, get a refund buy another camera. If you insist on staying with Pentax, there are still plenty of K-x's and K-7's out there that are the same price as the K-r. If you feel let down by pentax then there are great/better alternatives.
Not sure how I could do this, since I bought the K-r the week it was available.
05-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #250
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
On that note, there are conflicting reports everywhere (including forums on other sites) about whether this can or can't be fixed through firmware. I even found one site saying that a fix was in beta testing when the earthquake hit. All this seems a little outdated now.
Has anyone had any recent contact with Pentax Support? Maybe it's time to fire off some more enquiries. Whether the answer can be relied on is another matter.
This was the most recent solid response I've seen posted in this thread: response from Pentax Japan

Does not sound hopeful for a firmware fix a la K-5 at all.
05-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #251
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
This was the most recent solid response I've seen posted in this thread: response from Pentax Japan

Does not sound hopeful for a firmware fix a la K-5 at all.
Yeah seen that. Relatively old post.
06-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #252
Forum Member

Can't let this fall off the radar

Anyone heard anything new? I haven't been shooting as much. I feel like an idiot for keeping this camera... I should have returned it for a refund while I was still in my return window. But I held off, and the comments by Adam that a fix was coming helped me to make that decision. I am disappointed in myself that I trusted an internet forum source.

We need to keep this at the top of the pile, and hold Pentax Japan to task.

Has anyone received a recent K-r that does not exhibit this behavior? I am curious if Pentax has possibly done a silent hardware fix, using the early adopters as their beta testers...

-K
06-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #253
Site Supporter

Post by halenti in another thread:
QuoteOriginally posted by hallenti Quote
I just (2011-06-13) checked with and received this from PENTAX: You may send your K-r and kit lens to our Chandler, Arizona repair faciltiy have the camera cleaned and checked for an autofocus problem. Please be aware that if your camera's autofocus problem is occuring under low tungsten light shooting conditions, this is a known issue to Pentax Japan. PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance). We have no additional information or timeline regarding a possible fix.
At least it has been aknowledged as an issue. There doesn't seem to be any other recent follow-ups (posted here anyway).
06-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #254
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
We need to keep this at the top of the pile, and hold Pentax Japan to task.
I don't agree. It is easy to ignore internet forums. It is impossible to ignore a financial loss. Let the shareholders and CEO of Hoya hold Pentax to task.

Your best way to fight back, even if it is in a small way, is to send your camera in for warranty repair. They will need to pay the third-party warranty center for the time it takes to accept, assess, adjust, and clean your camera. I am quite sure that it is more than one billable hour per camera, too. The camera industry runs on razor thin profit margins, so I'd imagine that each warranty repair chips away at the profitability of the entire camera line. If enough of us exercise the warranty that we paid for and are entitled to, then hopefully Hoya/Pentax will "get the message" and address the QC problems in future models to avoid another K-r debacle. It sucks for today, but it may make for happier Pentaxians in the long run. I personally find it satisfying that Pentax will probably not make earn profit on my purchase.

Last, Pentax needs to move units to stay profitable. Selling your K-r instead of keeping it slows new units from being sold. This is what stores like Game Stop are doing to he video game industry, and believe me, the video game producers hate it...

Complaining may be therapeutic for you personally, but it will not hurt Pentax where it counts: their wallet.

I'm practicing what I preach. Mine was sent back and many items were fixed on the camera. Theoretically, my K-r is better than new since the focus was adjusted, it can now properly report the battery levels for Li-ion and Ni-Mh batteries, and the e-Dial is properly lubricated. Now I'm selling it. It'll be just my luck that the week after I sell it at a loss, Pentax will release a miracle firmware...
06-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #255
Veteran Member

One more thing to consider there: Topics like this have a tendency to scare off people (like me) that come here to research a camera before purchasing. Therefore, having these topics prominently displayed does contribute to financial loss and market obscurity, and should not be ignored.

That said I agree with most of your other points. As for selling your camera, I'd never suggest that anyone do that if they're reasonably happy with it. You sound a bit spiteful, now that you have a properly functioning unit, to go and sell it to try and get back at Pentax. Why not be glad it's fixed, and go on enjoying it?