Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the FW fix for the K5 was a success, a few users have said that theirs shows no difference,,a overwhelming majority have said otherwise.

Adam said the K5 FW was on its way..two weeks later it arrived...the same was said for the KR FW fix...but unfortunately Japan is in crisis at the Mo..so Id suggest that has affected the roll out of the KR FW fix for low light FF..sucks I know..but understandable considering the circumstances

03-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
the FW fix for the K5 was a success, a few users have said that theirs shows no difference,,a overwhelming majority have said otherwise.

Adam said the K5 FW was on its way..two weeks later it arrived...the same was said for the KR FW fix...but unfortunately Japan is in crisis at the Mo..so Id suggest that has affected the roll out of the KR FW fix for low light FF..sucks I know..but understandable considering the circumstances
How does it work for you? Dead on in Tungsten with your lenses now vs FF before? Or do you need to dial in AF adjust to get it dead-on, OR is the focus better than before but still off even with AF adjust? How about if Tungsten is now good, is say daylight or any other light worse, or all fine?

just wondering what your experience was, I have heard enough of the other side of the coin.

@Verglas about Design vs Manufacturing flaw, you have a bit of a point there, but I wager that shutter issue I had in my EOS (it was replaced by a Nikon) may not have been present in ALL EOS but maybe in many, so it too could have been a Design flaw, but likely a mechanical rather than electrical, programming or whatever flaw causes this FF. I have had very expensive cars and other gear with design and maufacturing flaws, it does and can happen with any goods. Which doesnt make it better of course.

Last edited by Deimos; 03-22-2011 at 06:40 AM.
03-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If the fix exists then it may roll out anytime over the next week.
I say this because we deal with Japan on a weekly basis through work and all of our suppliers have notified us by email (some via offices outside Japan) that they will be reopening either this week or next depending on either damage or radiation levels if on the northern side of Tokyo.
03-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nobbys Nuts Quote
If the fix exists then it may roll out anytime over the next week.
I say this because we deal with Japan on a weekly basis through work and all of our suppliers have notified us by email (some via offices outside Japan) that they will be reopening either this week or next depending on either damage or radiation levels if on the northern side of Tokyo.
Yes, seems like most will be getting back into the swing now.
And considering that the Pentax plant is a sizeable walk inland (way beyond any no go zones), then there's not much reason why action there wouldn't have continued, for the most part, unabated.

They're a pretty tough and determined mob the Japs, unlike Aussies who will take a day off if the wind blows sideways and then sit around drinking piss.

That is, IF Pentax actually do that low return work in the homeland. Who knows? They outsource just about everything else with camera written on it so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if coding and testing was done in India (or somewhere cheaper these days). HQ would likely find it more useful and profitable to put efforts and money into their security and medical equipment gear division.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-22-2011 at 06:50 PM.
03-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
I'm still waiting for a fix. Previously sent to cris but didn't fuly solve ff issue. It seems to be a software issue. Hopefully fixed by firmware. Firmware I needed a week ago. My vacation shooting indoor pics is now over and could have been better. How can I manual focus moving children indoors. Its quite hard in lv or using vf. Goodbye Calgary, hello New Jersey. Have to see hbow many keepers Iv got.
That is why I am returning my K-r. Hoya-Pentax doesn't give a s**t about her customers. Waiting 4 months for an aknowledgement or even a fix for a Beta-Problem(!) is too much. Point.
03-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
How does it work for you? Dead on in Tungsten with your lenses now vs FF before? Or do you need to dial in AF adjust to get it dead-on, OR is the focus better than before but still off even with AF adjust? How about if Tungsten is now good, is say daylight or any other light worse, or all fine?

just wondering what your experience was
, I have heard enough of the other side of the coin.

@Verglas about Design vs Manufacturing flaw, you have a bit of a point there, but I wager that shutter issue I had in my EOS (it was replaced by a Nikon) may not have been present in ALL EOS but maybe in many, so it too could have been a Design flaw, but likely a mechanical rather than electrical, programming or whatever flaw causes this FF. I have had very expensive cars and other gear with design and maufacturing flaws, it does and can happen with any goods. Which doesnt make it better of course.
after a few tests Im convinced my K5 is fixed...it focuses in near darkness, even if I disable the focus assist light...

sometimes I will miss a shot..but thats to be expected as far as Im concerned ..at 17 mm its misses more than at 50mm...but Im well chuffed with the K5..I hope the fix for the KR will impress you guys too
03-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by stern Quote
That is why I am returning my K-r. Hoya-Pentax doesn't give a s**t about her customers. Waiting 4 months for an aknowledgement or even a fix for a Beta-Problem(!) is too much. Point.
If Pentax didn't care about their customers, they wouldn't even bother trying to fix the problem. It's quite obvious they do care, and given recent events in Japan, you can hardly expect a K-r firmware release to be high on their list of priorities.

Although there are some people who are never satisfied. Sounds like you might be one of them.
03-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
If Pentax didn't care about their customers, they wouldn't even bother trying to fix the problem. It's quite obvious they do care, and given recent events in Japan, you can hardly expect a K-r firmware release to be high on their list of priorities.

Although there are some people who are never satisfied. Sounds like you might be one of them.
To be fair, there are some instances where time do play an important factor. First we need to get it clear: Auto focusing is an important part of the camera, it is one of the most important aspects of a modern camera (how much do you think a non-autofocusing camera will sell at the K-r's price point). Many of us, when we purchase a camera we expect auto focusing to work. If it doesn't then it is not fit for purpose.

So why is time important? Its simple, return dates. Many stores have a return policy, return this item by x days. Many of us love the K-r we want to get it fixed, but we also want our camera to work properly. However, there are those people that do still have the option to return it. Should they wait for the firmware update and hopefully get it fixed, or return the camera and get a competitor's products? Ideally they would like to wait for the firmware update. This is where the biggest issue lies. We have no official indication yet that a fix for the K-r is coming. We have some claims by 'people in the know' that a fix is coming, but no official word from Pentax, now are those claims worth $800? An official statement by Pentax would go a long way, but they do not even bother to do that much. Suppose the return date deadline was tomorrow, would you take the word of a stranger from an online forum that a fix is coming in the next few weeks?

Now, I am not part of the group above, I am way past the return date, and have only really managed to appreciate how bad this issue starting last week. There are those that keep saying to go out there and enjoy the camera. That statement is pathetic. Suppose I bought an automatic car, it handles extremely well is a very comfortable drive, then I find out that if I turn the lights on, I will have to shift the car manually. Sure, there are those who claim that driving a car manually is more satisfying, the car still handles well, enjoy the drive. Well, no. I paid for an automatic car, I want an automatic car. Just like how I paid for an autofocus camera, I want an autofocus camera.

03-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
To be fair, there are some instances where time do play an important factor. First we need to get it clear: Auto focusing is an important part of the camera, it is one of the most important aspects of a modern camera (how much do you think a non-autofocusing camera will sell at the K-r's price point). Many of us, when we purchase a camera we expect auto focusing to work. If it doesn't then it is not fit for purpose.

So why is time important? Its simple, return dates. Many stores have a return policy, return this item by x days. Many of us love the K-r we want to get it fixed, but we also want our camera to work properly. However, there are those people that do still have the option to return it. Should they wait for the firmware update and hopefully get it fixed, or return the camera and get a competitor's products? Ideally they would like to wait for the firmware update. This is where the biggest issue lies. We have no official indication yet that a fix for the K-r is coming. We have some claims by 'people in the know' that a fix is coming, but no official word from Pentax, now are those claims worth $800? An official statement by Pentax would go a long way, but they do not even bother to do that much. Suppose the return date deadline was tomorrow, would you take the word of a stranger from an online forum that a fix is coming in the next few weeks?

Now, I am not part of the group above, I am way past the return date, and have only really managed to appreciate how bad this issue starting last week. There are those that keep saying to go out there and enjoy the camera. That statement is pathetic. Suppose I bought an automatic car, it handles extremely well is a very comfortable drive, then I find out that if I turn the lights on, I will have to shift the car manually. Sure, there are those who claim that driving a car manually is more satisfying, the car still handles well, enjoy the drive. Well, no. I paid for an automatic car, I want an automatic car. Just like how I paid for an autofocus camera, I want an autofocus camera.
Did you purchase the K-r knowing about the issue? I did. Does the autofocus work? Yes it does. Does the AF work accurately under all lighting conditions? Apparently not. Am I happy with my K-r? Absolutely. The way some people have carried on about it, you would think the K-r's autofocus doesn't work at all!

I can assure you the K-r will not be the last consumer electronics product to ship with a hardware or software defect. Many Xbox 360's had the infamous red ring of death, a hardware design fault. Microsoft didn't close their eyes and plug their ears, they did something about it, but it didn't happen overnight. Did it impact their overall sales? Did we see hordes of angry gamers? The D7000 has had issues too, did people return their cameras en masse? I doubt it.

There seems to be some misguided notion that Pentax are 'not listening'. I've seen or heard nothing that illustrates that. The K-5 had a firmware update, and there's no reason to assume that a K-r fix will not be made available. One of them was probably going to be updated before the other.

If it was business as usual for Hoya-Pentax, then maybe that K-r firmware would be available by now. But for some people, the devastation in Japan is insignificant compared to an AF bug on a camera, which is a pretty unfortunate mindset to adopt.
03-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Many Xbox 360's had the infamous red ring of death, a hardware design fault. Microsoft didn't close their eyes and plug their ears, they did something about it, but it didn't happen overnight.
The difference is Microsoft *admitted* that there was a problem, they announced that they were providing a remedy for it. Pentax on the other hand has said absolutely *nothing* regarding the K-r. They provided an update for the K5 and from peoples point of view its like they're saying: 'you purchased the poverty model you don't deserve our attention'. A simple post on the official website that says 'K-r update available in a couple of weeks' or a couple of months, or even a vague 'soon' would go a long way, but they don't even seem to be able to do that. We know things have problems, that's not the point, what we want to know is that they are doing something about it.

The Earthquake... this issue was identified LONG before the earthquake happened. A message on the website takes less than 5 minutes to put up.
03-23-2011, 05:18 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
The difference is Microsoft *admitted* that there was a problem, they announced that they were providing a remedy for it. Pentax on the other hand has said absolutely *nothing* regarding the K-r. They provided an update for the K5 and from peoples point of view its like they're saying: 'you purchased the poverty model you don't deserve our attention'. A simple post on the official website that says 'K-r update available in a couple of weeks' or a couple of months, or even a vague 'soon' would go a long way, but they don't even seem to be able to do that. We know things have problems, that's not the point, what we want to know is that they are doing something about it.

The Earthquake... this issue was identified LONG before the earthquake happened. A message on the website takes less than 5 minutes to put up.
Nobody on the outside knows close (or not) they were to a K-r firmware update before the quake/tsunami hit. There is a least some anecdotal evidence in this thread (and others) to suggest a firmware update is in the works. Maybe they should/could have put something up in their support pages, but I'm sure right now that is the least of their concerns, plus companies with poor PR is nothing new. Did they do this for the K-5?

Besides that, who knows how similar the firmware code is for both the K-5 and K-r? One might be a lot easier to fix than the other.

As you're in Australia, if you're not satisfied or not prepared to wait, you do realise your statutory rights could enable you to a refund if the K-r does not work as intended? Statutory rights supercede any implied 'time limit' that may be imposed by a retailer. It would seem that for your circumstances, the K-r does not work as intended, so it's not as if you are stuck with a lemon. Take a look at the ACCC site.
03-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I wish it was that simple to just return it. I've already purchased accessories and a few different lenses on ebay -- almost as much as I have spent on the camera. If not for those I would have returned it already. It's a good camera, pity its crippled.
03-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
after a few tests Im convinced my K5 is fixed...it focuses in near darkness, even if I disable the focus assist light...

sometimes I will miss a shot..but thats to be expected as far as Im concerned ..at 17 mm its misses more than at 50mm...but Im well chuffed with the K5..I hope the fix for the KR will impress you guys too
Awesome, thats good to hear. It would be great if firmware can fix this issue for the most part!
03-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #44

Atualização do firmware

Prezados colegas de Forum,
Sou novo por aqui e recentemente, comprei uma Pentax K-r. Estou começando a ler o manual e me familiarizar com o equipamento. Lendo alguns artigos publicados neste forum, fiquei preocupado com a matéria sobre a atualização do firmware. Gostaria de saber o que significa isso, para o que serve e como é feita essa atualização. Pelo que entendi, a K-r veio da fabrica com alguns defeitos que precisam ser corrigidos. Minha máquina foi comprada na B&H e chegou esta semana. Demorou dois meses para ser entregue, mas chegou em bom estado e muito bem embalada.
Agradeço pela atenção que puderem me dispensar.
Obrigado,
Paolillo
03-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #45

I am waiting as well. I have to set my AF adjustment to -7 when shooting with AWB indoor/artifical lighting condition. Anyway, I have to stick with Pentax because I bought KR in Japan when I was on holiday and I have no chance to return it & I already bought a 2nd hand sigma 30. Anyway if I am in those tricky situation, I always use LV.... Yes you can work around it, but for me the issue's not what you would expect from a company with such long history and the stain problem with K5......

In general, older Japanese has the issue about FACE, they will never admit a problem until s**ts hit the fan, and this carries over to their corporate culture. Anyway, I am very confident that a firmware is a WIP. How stupid would that be for them not to work on a FW as R&D is a fixed cost for the company..... My only concern is that KR FF problem is in fact an hardware defect due to faulty design that a FW cannot be fixed.......