Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Artifarty Quote
I am waiting as well. I have to set my AF adjustment to -7 when shooting with AWB indoor/artifical lighting condition. Anyway, I have to stick with Pentax because I bought KR in Japan when I was on holiday and I have no chance to return it & I already bought a 2nd hand sigma 30. Anyway if I am in those tricky situation, I always use LV.... Yes you can work around it, but for me the issue's not what you would expect from a company with such long history and the stain problem with K5......

In general, older Japanese has the issue about FACE, they will never admit a problem until s**ts hit the fan, and this carries over to their corporate culture. Anyway, I am very confident that a firmware is a WIP. How stupid would that be for them not to work on a FW as R&D is a fixed cost for the company..... My only concern is that KR FF problem is in fact an hardware defect due to faulty design that a FW cannot be fixed.......
that was speculated for the K5 also..but it was fixed with a FW update...its the only thing that the users could do, as no information was coming from pentax

The K5 forum is now dead as far a FF is concerned, we are now whingeing about lack of long lenses, at least I am anyway..LMAO

03-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Someone on the K-5 forum quite accurately announced the FW1.03 for the K-5 ... As the previous FW for K-5 and K-r came out simultaneously and both cameras have the same (or similar) new AF system, my expectation was that the new firmware would come out quite soon after K-5's 1.03.

Unfortunately, I really have this issue quite a lot as I am shooting a lot in artificial light situations. I had the K-x and I am otherwise completely convinced that the K-r is the better K-x (in fact, it is rather a K-x II).

The questions is, whether Pentax is at all able to work on this FW at the moment, supposed it is not yet ready for launch. I do not know how the situation in Japan is for Pentax - is there still lack of electricity in Tokyo? In the news it has been said that Hoya HQ have not been affected by the eartquake, however, we do not know where the R&D center is located ...

Nevertheless, I must say that I am still angry about Pentax in this respect, as the FF issue is quite obvious since launch of the K-r and K-5 and Pentax has not even announced a solution yet. It seems that the K-x and K-r are really seen as gadgets rather than serious photographic equipment ...

Eriol

Last edited by Eriol; 03-25-2011 at 02:49 AM.
03-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eriol Quote
Wow - that is a good solution! The only problem is how to convince owners of other buildings to do this in cases where you do not shoot inside your own house ... Do you have a tip for this as well???
ROFL!

I've been busy lobbying Govts and major Road Transport authorities to change all the street and highway lighting that is sodium vapour or other wrong c.temp.
Some neon streetscapes at night, plus hordes of interior scenic places like churches and many public buildings are often dimly lit and "tungsten challenged" too.

Their only response so far has been; Why don't you go and buy yourself a decent camera instead.
(Which leaves me lost for valid argument... )

.R.
03-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #49
Veteran Member

iPad2 has some problems with the screen, Apple doesn't have a fix yet, but they officially announced that they are aware of the issue and are working towards a fix. Wasn't that hard to admit something is wrong, unless you are Pentax.

03-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #50

I'm also waiting for a fix. My K-r is being serviced for the second time now. They weren't able to fix it the first time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
a quick solution for anyone with the FF issue inside their homes. Go buy compact fluorescent bulbs to replace the old style bulbs, thereby getting rid of the Tungsten light. It will save electricity, save money on your bills and your camera will af properly on top of it
I have mostly CFL:s and some tungsten lights. I have to say the FF issue is present under both types of artificial light.
03-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #51
Forum Member

I also have found that it isn't just tungsten light. I have found that my k-r front focus issue shows itself in a variety of low light settings. I have taken the camera in 3 times to pentax, and they have been unable to fix it. In fact they have tried to blame me.

They have multiple times said that I am using the wrong settings - though they cannot tell me what the right settings are. They tried to blame my lens' (I have 90 mm macro & 17-50mm by Tamron).

All I want is pentax to stand up and say: "There is a front focus issue. We are working on a firmware fix. Unfortunately due to the earthquake we are 2-3 weeks behind schedule. We will get it out as soon as possible."

But they won't say it. Instead Pentax Canada simply thinks that they can blame me for an issue that isn't my fault. And when they run out of ways to blame me, they then say that "the camera is working within manufacture specifications" - another words it's you, not us!

All I want is for Pentax to admit that there's a problem... Is that too much to ask?

So I wait, but I am getting very impatient.
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote
All I want is for Pentax to admit that there's a problem... Is that too much to ask?

So I wait, but I am getting very impatient.
Well from a commercial point of view, it often is too much to ask. Once a company officially admits the existence of a problem with a product of theirs, they are obligated to rectify it, or fully compensate, and can be held to that in all legal jurisdiction; ie. liability and its consequences is a very serious matter.

So really, for we consumers who are the ham-in-the-sandwich so to speak, there simply isn't much we can do, other than not let it eat our minds, and cop it on the chin that we have lost out to whatever degree over our good-faith purchase decision which resulted in jumping on a wrong gravy train!

So the only smart thing to do is to remember the experience, throughout life, to avoid it happening again.
Shit happens, and it's never pretty. But only a true fool will ever continue to slut their dignity.

Revenge is a dish best served cold - and plentiful.

.R. -- Not losing any sleep...

03-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Well from a commercial point of view, it often is too much to ask. Once a company officially admits the existence of a problem with a product of theirs, they are obligated to rectify it, or fully compensate, and can be held to that in all legal jurisdiction; ie. liability and its consequences is a very serious matter.

So really, for we consumers who are the ham-in-the-sandwich so to speak, there simply isn't much we can do, other than not let it eat our minds, and cop it on the chin that we have lost out to whatever degree over our good-faith purchase decision which resulted in jumping on a wrong gravy train!

So the only smart thing to do is to remember the experience, throughout life, to avoid it happening again.
Shit happens, and it's never pretty. But only a true fool will ever continue to slut their dignity.

Revenge is a dish best served cold - and plentiful.

.R. -- Not losing any sleep...
There are a few things we can do:
1. Apply pressure to get them to fix it by:
- Making sure we let as many potential customers know about it <- which I believe is a rightful and ethical thing to do
- Make as much noise as possible about it
- Keep enquiring customer support about it so that they will put pressure at the top
- Let the retailer know about it so they can contact their sales rep who can in turn contact their manager who can then put pressure on the top
- Start a class action lawsuit? :Pt

We shouldn't just let them off the hook
03-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
There are a few things we can do:
1. Apply pressure to get them to fix it by:
- Making sure we let as many potential customers know about it <- which I believe is a rightful and ethical thing to do
- Make as much noise as possible about it
- Keep enquiring customer support about it so that they will put pressure at the top
- Let the retailer know about it so they can contact their sales rep who can in turn contact their manager who can then put pressure on the top
- Start a class action lawsuit? :Pt

We shouldn't just let them off the hook
Yep. Except you missed the most powerful tool that we minnow consumers have:

"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in
the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money
somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

.R. -- And it's not hard to work out from that why Pentax is no WalMart.
03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #55
Forum Member

Another week gone by, and still nothing.

I also am noticing the tendency to clip highlights a lot lately. It wouldn't be so bad if the raw file contained any measurable headroom, but I am not finding this to be the case at all... you almost need to underexpose on this camera to maintain any highlight retention at all... goes against the "expose to the right" I have always heard, and found successful.

I don't know what to do, I think with the ff fixed, I could live with it. I am hesitant to send it into CRIS and be without my camera, but now that the return window has closed, I might not be able to return. REALLY want Pentax to take this camera (and issue) seriously, and issue a statement. I was very positive when the K-05 fix came out, but that has been almost a month ago now?

PENTAX, if you are listening, your hard earned customers are losing faith! Come out with a statement, and make us all feel like choosing PENTAX was a good decision.
03-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Yep, we didn't pay enough to get an update unlike the k-5 users.

Really sad, should have taken most peoples advice and stuck with the "safe" systems.
03-28-2011, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

What I suggest for the haters in this thread is to lie on your bed, face down, scream really loud into your pillow and kick your legs furiously until you can kick and scream no more. Then get up from your bed, pick up your K-r and learn to use it as best as you can with it's current (fixable) faults. That way, when there is a fix, you'll be the better photographer for it.
03-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
What I suggest for the haters in this thread is to lie on your bed, face down, scream really loud into your pillow and kick your legs furiously until you can kick and scream no more. Then get up from your bed, pick up your K-r and learn to use it as best as you can with it's current (fixable) faults. That way, when there is a fix, you'll be the better photographer for it.
Apparently the K-r is such a lemon it can't actually take any photos

What would people prefer, a K-r fix that takes longer but is right the first time, or a quick and nasty patch up job? Although a few people here seem to think there is no fix, and never will be...
03-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
Apparently the K-r is such a lemon it can't actually take any photos

What would people prefer, a K-r fix that takes longer but is right the first time, or a quick and nasty patch up job? Although a few people here seem to think there is no fix, and never will be...
I just want PENTAX to acknowledge the problem and tell us whether they are working on it or not. I am still taking photos all the time.
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
That's if a fix ever comes out, at this rate pentax will release a new camera and their 'fix' will be to purchase the new model without the FF issue.