Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Just remember the magnitude of the quake...9.0. A lot of damage was done to japan and they are still recovering. Many of the electronic/camera companies were affected and all people can do is whine about how they are put out by pentax's inability to fess up to this issue. Like many have stated before, canon & nikon have FF/BF issues too.

Also, the K-5 fix was deployed before the quake, it's their flagship model so they're bound to fix that camera first. We bought the cheaper K-r and we'll have to wait until they get their shit together to make a fix. I'm not 100% happy with my K-r either, I bought it with the DA40 and spent a bit of many on that combo and I almost prefer shooting with my K10D. I'm going to wait another week or two, then I'll call the pentax distributor/repair people in melbourne to see what they know. Be patient people.

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I just want PENTAX to acknowledge the problem and tell us whether they are working on it or not. I am still taking photos all the time.

03-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
That's if a fix ever comes out, at this rate pentax will release a new camera and their 'fix' will be to purchase the new model without the FF issue.
Adam has stated a fix is in the works, I'm sure he wouldn't make such a big statement if he didn't have some inside information. Verglace, your in Melbourne so give C.R Kennedy a call, their service department # is 9823 1555. They're pretty helpful and will let you know your options.
03-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #63
Forum Member

I would like to be told a timeline - even if it's as vague as "4-6 weeks after our offices are operating like normal". I'm hesitant to spend any more money on stuff to go with my camera until there's an official word of some sort.

I'd like to get a flash, a focus screen, a spare battery. Maybe another lens. I really don't expect to give up the camera over all this... But if I do, I want to minimise any further financial exposure.

Maybe Hoya are afraid sales will stall if they acknowledge the issue?
03-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #64

Photos: Gallery
Sales would go up, I suppose, if Pentax would just publish the FW. The K-r is a great camera, however, it seems Pentax does not really believe in its prosumer products. While there is still a special web site for the K-x, for the K-r there seems to be nothing - not that I am missing this ...

Eriol

03-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
I would like to be told a timeline - even if it's as vague as "4-6 weeks after our offices are operating like normal". I'm hesitant to spend any more money on stuff to go with my camera until there's an official word of some sort.

I'd like to get a flash, a focus screen, a spare battery. Maybe another lens. I really don't expect to give up the camera over all this... But if I do, I want to minimise any further financial exposure.

Maybe Hoya are afraid sales will stall if they acknowledge the issue?
I am in the exact same situation as you, I have money set aside to buy 15mm LTD and am hesitating only because of this issue. I think they are playing it very badly, as I said in an earlier post, Apple recognized the iPad2 problems and promised a fix, as a result people are not affraid of buying them because a fix is promised. Pentax needs to learn from them.
03-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #66

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is my reassurance? Spring is here but its freezing and I dont want to buy more lenses til this is resolved.
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #67

I'm amazed that some of you guys are completely convinced Pentax will not fix this issue; that it's a hardware (not software) based problem; and they are merely laughing at us all for buying the 'poor mans' K-5.

I was reading in another thread that CDAF system used in live view gives accurate focus in all lighting? Has anyone verified this is correct? It would seem like a reasonable workaround if true.

03-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
I was reading in another thread that CDAF system used in live view gives accurate focus in all lighting? Has anyone verified this is correct? It would seem like a reasonable workaround if true.
Yes, many test shots demonstrating front focus issues pair them against live view shots to prove the point. If I wanted CDAF I would have bought a PEN. Live view is not stellar for moving targets.
03-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
Yes, many test shots demonstrating front focus issues pair them against live view shots to prove the point. If I wanted CDAF I would have bought a PEN. Live view is not stellar for moving targets.
No it's not; but it should somewhat address people's concerns that their camera has some kind of irreparable problem.
03-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not that it helps KR owners..but Ive just been reading a bit about a canon 5d mark 2..and its plagued with AF issues, and thats from a $3000 body...so I would say you/we are not the only camera manufacturers with issues in AF performance
03-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
I'm amazed that some of you guys are completely convinced Pentax will not fix this issue; that it's a hardware (not software) based problem; and they are merely laughing at us all for buying the 'poor mans' K-5.
Hardware or software... they have not shown any official signs that they are fixing it for the k-r, no press release no announcement, nothing. Although they have also not shown any signs that they wont be fixing it, however since there is no evidence of action, we can only assume inaction. As others have said, we don't need or want the fix to be released right away, we simply want an official assurance that they are working on a fix.

I would so so so much love pentax to prove me wrong. Hopefully in the next few hours as I've been waiting weeks already. Some have been waiting months... But what are the chances of that?
03-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Hardware or software... they have not shown any official signs that they are fixing it for the k-r, no press release no announcement, nothing. Although they have also not shown any signs that they wont be fixing it, however since there is no evidence of action, we can only assume inaction. As others have said, we don't need or want the fix to be released right away, we simply want an official assurance that they are working on a fix.

I would so so so much love pentax to prove me wrong. Hopefully in the next few hours as I've been waiting weeks already. Some have been waiting months... But what are the chances of that?
I don't remember there ever being an official press release for firmware updates on current or past models. What a strange request. What usually happens is that there's a leak on new firmware, photo nerds like us argue what it will fix and then at some random time, the firmware pops up. I doubt the next K-r firmware will be any different.
03-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I don't remember there ever being an official press release for firmware updates on current or past models. What a strange request. What usually happens is that there's a leak on new firmware, photo nerds like us argue what it will fix and then at some random time, the firmware pops up. I doubt the next K-r firmware will be any different.
Pretty sure I've read that Pentax France, Germany, the UK distributor and some other distributor have all acknowledged the existence of the problem and a firmware solution in the works. Is that not enough?

I guess some people want to hear it from Pentax Japan.

@Verglace have you contacted CR Kennedy about this?
03-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #74
Forum Member

Pentax France (the Headquarters in Europe) have assured me several times that Pentax JAPAN is aware of the issue and that they are working on the new firmware. Pentax is not hiding it, write to them and they'll tell you there is an issue.

They wrote to me:
QuoteQuote:
It is the same problem that occured in the K5, and at this point the new K5 firmware is availbla and the problem is now solved. We do not know exactly when the new K-r firmware will be ready.
Releasing an official press info about this is a marketing suicide. They wrote about stained K5's because the issue was serious and the only way to repair it was replacing the cameras.

It's true about Apple and the iPad2, but Apple is a much bigger company and they can afford it. They are hiring probably more engineers and obviously their fix will be released faster.

At least this is what I think.
03-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Yes I have contacted CR Kennedy, they do not admit that the problem is software and are suggesting I send it in to be serviced. According to this thread ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/126679-k-r-may-need-auto...n-service.html ) it doesn't really help much and turn around time is almost a month (and since I've only had the camera for 7 weeks I find that unacceptable -- especially since there are a number of special occasions that will be happening in the next few weeks for me)

@figmental1978 - it may not be how pentax usually does things but for a lot of other electronics companies it is standard practice and is not in any way strange, is it really so bad that we hold companies to a higher standard?