Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
not that it helps KR owners..but Ive just been reading a bit about a canon 5d mark 2..and its plagued with AF issues, and thats from a $3000 body...so I would say you/we are not the only camera manufacturers with issues in AF performance
It does help to anyone considering to jump to Canon: Don't buy a 5d MKII

Sorry, I can't help it. I don't have anything new to add here.

03-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
Pretty sure I've read that Pentax France, Germany, the UK distributor and some other distributor have all acknowledged the existence of the problem and a firmware solution in the works. Is that not enough?

I guess some people want to hear it from Pentax Japan.

@Verglace have you contacted CR Kennedy about this?
Acknowledging an issue and producing a press release for new firmware are completely different.
03-30-2011, 04:57 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
@figmental1978 - it may not be how pentax usually does things but for a lot of other electronics companies it is standard practice and is not in any way strange, is it really so bad that we hold companies to a higher standard?
I've never read of any camera company releasing statements about firmware fixes. If there's a huge issue like the K-5's stained sensor, then they will, sure.

I understand that you're frustrated but you've had the camera for 7 weeks, it could have been to CR Kennedy & back in your hands by now, all ready for your special occasions. But you chose to come here and complain and no be pro active.

I get it, you spent good money on this camera and you expect nothing but the best for what you paid. You may have family asking what's wrong with your new camera, why are the photos blurry, pentax sucks and why didn't you buy a canon?

Be patient my friend, I feel you have no other choice.

Last edited by figmental1978; 03-30-2011 at 05:32 AM.
03-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #79
Veteran Member

I didn't say camera companies I said electronics... And if return time was 4 weeks this is e seventh week I would have needed to send the camera to cr Kennedy 3 weeks after I purchased the camera... Is that acceptable to you? Not to mention I also needed to use the camera during those weeks for my assignments. My friend is letting me borrow his camera for two weeks next tho I will see if it is to my liking and if a fix is still not out I will try for an RA if not then I guess some (un)lucky ebayer will hopefully be buying my pentax gears.
If you're wondering why I'm needing my camera a lot... I'm studying games development at uni and I use it for textures, recording objects for 3d modelling and journals for level developments, not really for artistic reasons but focus is still very important

03-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #80
Forum Member

If you want you can read about Nikon D7000, it also has sever FF/BF :P
03-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #81
LIJ
Forum Member

I was in contact with the repair shop that Pentax Sweden uses for all their repairs regarding the FF issue. They say that Pentax Japan "is working on a solution to this problem".

Seems like thats what most Pentax sources tell you if you can get a hold of them and ask them.
03-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
not that it helps KR owners..but Ive just been reading a bit about a canon 5d mark 2..and its plagued with AF issues, and thats from a $3000 body...so I would say you/we are not the only camera manufacturers with issues in AF performance
Not true. I have both (Well I had both, K-r went back to the store). 5DII has issues, sometimes, like pretty much any camera, and with side focusing points. Center point is always dead on. K-r was much worst in real life. Not to the point that it was horrible, but to the point "neah, I am not paying $600 for this".
03-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #83
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
I was in contact with the repair shop that Pentax Sweden uses for all their repairs regarding the FF issue. They say that Pentax Japan "is working on a solution to this problem".

Seems like thats what most Pentax sources tell you if you can get a hold of them and ask them.
Except Pentax USA I guess... they still deny.

03-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #84
Forum Member

another exchange with Pentax USA Chat

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
Except Pentax USA I guess... they still deny.
Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Matthew P.
Matthew P: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
Kevin : Hi Matthew
Kevin : I am a Pentax K-r Owner, curious there is word from Pentax Japan about a front focus fix for the K-r>
Kevin : Pentax Germany, France, UK, and Sweden all confirm they have heard that Pentax Japan is working on a fix
Kevin : trying to sort out internet Rumor from potential fact
Matthew P: Pentax has heard of the issue but as far as that being a known issue is concerned, we have not stated that.
Matthew P: We have heard of this issue though. Some customers say they have the issue and some say that have not so we are still trying to determine what they will do with the Kr if they are going to do anything at all for that.
Matthew P: You will see all updated news at PENTAX

Kevin : ty
Matthew P: You're very welcome.
Matthew P: Do you have any more questions?

Kevin : yes
Kevin : if they decide to "do nothing at all"
Kevin : what recource do I have?
Kevin : I will try CRIS once, but if that doesn't resolve my problem, what are my options?
Matthew P: If you happen to recieve a Kr that has these issues, we need you to send the camera in. Not only for warranty repair but for research for the future Kr models.
Kevin : I find the AF un-useable in tungsten, and low indoor light
Kevin : Future Kr models?
Kevin : is there a plan to release a Kr v2?
Matthew P: No. Just for future production.
Kevin : If this is fixed in future production runs, am I entitled to a new camera from a new run?
Matthew P: This will be done on a case to case basis. I cannot give you that answer. I don't know what Pentax would do at that moment.
Kevin : OK, I can certainly send the camera in, but with all this talk of a potential firmware fix, and with a recent one for a similar (?) condition in the K-5, I am hesitant to send it in for fear it will be fixed by firmware soon
Matthew P: Well, all we can do is check PENTAX for the update.
Kevin : Also, while I understand that it is important for Pentax to evaluate cameras with the condition, from what I have read, it is present in EVERY K-r
Kevin : some people either don't see it, or don't understand how to re-produce it
Kevin : or simply have a lower tolerance for critical sharpness
Matthew P: I understand. CRIS would test the camera when we get it and see if there is infact an issue with your particular model.
Kevin : what I mean to say is Pentax should have plenty of samples to test for the condition, and not need mine to evaluate for improvements in future production runs
Kevin : OK, again, I have read of more than 5 people sending it into CRIS without resolution for the same issue
Kevin: it ends up feeling like throwing shit against a wall just to see if it sticks, if you know what I mean
Kevin: Also, the "{Pentax needs your camera sent into CRIS} for research for future Kr models" rubs me the wrong way
Kevin : are all of us early adopters (and not even early, this camera has been out for some time now) beta testers for future production runs?!?
Matthew P: It's if your camera is having that specific issue...You must send it in for repair. It's not sending it in for research, im just telling you that we can take your cameras issues into account if they were going to create a firmware update for this.
Matthew P: Yes all early Kr models are looked into for researching any potential issue.
Kevin : OK, thanks for your time today
Matthew P: You're very welcome. Do you have any other questions?
Kevin : no, I guess not
Kevin : have a good day
Matthew P: You too. Thank you for using Pentax.
Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
03-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #85

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my opinion. Switching White balance to Tungsten vs AWB seems to fix Front Focus in most cases. Manual focus indicators are much more accurate but as well. I tried strong corrections in Tungsten lighing to see if that affects the outcome but does not. I think this only helps when AWB slightly misdetects yellow light and leaves a cast. Next time I shoot family pics in tungsten, Im gonna use Tungsten WB and see if that corrects the focus. I didn't think that focus ability depended on which WB I selected. Im not 100% certain and focus wasnt always perfect. I tried many trial and error shots with objects in my room and using a 50mm A lens @ 1.4, 85mm Rokinon @ 1.4 and an AF SIgma 28mm @ 1.7. 90% were significantly sharper with Tungsten WB chosen. I compared using in camera comparison. I did not use focus charts just muliple shots of various contrasty objects. Note: CRIS calibrated my camera so that might have helped my results.
03-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #86
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
In my opinion. Switching White balance to Tungsten vs AWB seems to fix Front Focus in most cases. Manual focus indicators are much more accurate but as well. I tried strong corrections in Tungsten lighing to see if that affects the outcome but does not. I think this only helps when AWB slightly misdetects yellow light and leaves a cast. Next time I shoot family pics in tungsten, Im gonna use Tungsten WB and see if that corrects the focus. I didn't think that focus ability depended on which WB I selected. Im not 100% certain and focus wasnt always perfect. I tried many trial and error shots with objects in my room and using a 50mm A lens @ 1.4, 85mm Rokinon @ 1.4 and an AF SIgma 28mm @ 1.7. 90% were significantly sharper with Tungsten WB chosen. I compared using in camera comparison. I did not use focus charts just muliple shots of various contrasty objects. Note: CRIS calibrated my camera so that might have helped my results.
Did you notice a difference before/after CRIS adjustment? What was the process, cost, and time away when using CRIS?
03-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #87

It took a whole month for the process. Focus is more accurate but not in Tungsten light with AWB on. Supposedly they are working on a firmware fix. By selecting Tungsten WB, it seemed to help with af and focus confirmation as well. Try shooting in yellow light with Tungsten WB selected. See if you get a considerable amount of keepers.
03-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #88
Forum Member

I have some news from Pentax, I again wrote to them asking about the news regarding new FW for K-r. This is what they wrote:

QuoteQuote:
The K5 had the same Frontfocussing-problem as the K-r The new firmware that solved the issue for the K5 was published after a month of severe testing just before the earthquake in Japan. This testing must also be done for the new K-r firmware, but we don't know in how far the situation in Japan at the moment is delaying this testing-phase. We hope you understand that the publication-date will be later than expected.
At least we know more now.
03-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #89
Site Supporter

Thank you, Brydzo. It's good to have further confirmation that they are working on the solution. Now, it's time to exercise that most difficult of skills - patience.
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #90
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you, Brydzo. It's good to have further confirmation that they are working on the solution. Now, it's time to exercise that most difficult of skills - patience.
Great news!

What is your source? Pentax USA?