Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #91

In blind trust that a firmware fix would be coming, I went ahead and ordered a K-r and I should be shooting with it this weekend. So in answer to the OP, I am waiting for an fw update, but not waiting in the sense of waiting to buy a K-r.

I looked at the K-r images on flickr and concluded that it is currently possible, in a range of circumstances, to create beautiful images with areas that are intentionally in focus with a K-r... And that would work for me, for now.

Thanks for the confirmation that my trust in Pentax is not misplaced.

03-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #92
Forum Member

The source is Pentax France.

QuoteQuote:
I looked at the K-r images on flickr and concluded that it is currently possible, in a range of circumstances, to create beautiful images with areas that are intentionally in focus with a K-r.
Yes, it's possible Just look at K-r groups on flickr:
Flickr: Pentax K-r Fan Club
Flickr: Pentax K-r

People shoot great pictures with K-r, looks like FF doesn't bother them.
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I don't trust customer support replies. I used to work as one a few years back and know that some people will say anything to get customers off their back.

Also, noone ever claimed you can't take good photos with the k-r, thats not the point, you can take good photos with a phone camera. What we want is for the autofocus to work properly.
03-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #94

Wanting a fully functional autofocus is perfectly reasonable.
I am choosing--without a sound basis, beyond a general belief that Pentax will try to limit damage to their brand--to believe that a fix will be released by Pentax.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong and I will become enraged and bitter and lash out at Hoya and Pentax at every opportunity until my last angry breath...

But I think it more likely that in the next few months a firmware upgrade will be released that will correct the FF problem. In the meantime, I will manually focus when autofocus lets me down and enjoy the autofocus in those conditions in which it works.

My K-r just arrived and I am waiting for the charger light to go out...

As I heft the body I feel how perfectly it fits in my hand, the little indent on the grip exactly in the right place for my middle finger while the flaring plastic on the back is in the prefect place for my thumb. Holding it just feels right. I open the memory compartment and think about how much better the construction of this body seems than the Canon Rebels I looked at last week when I was second-guessing my tentative decision to buy a Pentax camera.

Everything about this K-r feels carefully designed and well built. I find it hard to believe that the company that made it would not correct a software fault that is preventing this superb imaging machine from performing at its best.

I will be using it a lot over the next few days. Perhaps the FF problem will manifest. In any case, I am pretty sure I will be able to get better high ISO shots from this K-r than I have been getting from my Canon G9.

Let's all hope for a speedy release of the firmware fix that finishes front focussed photos forever.

I don't in any way suggest that you are wrong to want the fix or to demand it from Pentax.

And while it is true that, desirous of an unflawed camera, I am waiting for the update, I chose not to wait to buy my camera. I am confident the FF problem will not ruin the New York cityscapes or nature shots I plan to capture over the next few weeks.

Last edited by Taobat; 03-31-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo!
03-31-2011, 07:11 PM - 5 Likes   #95

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love mr k-r by the way. Its an amazing camera even with the ff issues. I do expect them to issue an new firmware update to fix the issue. I have many great pics taken with my K-r. I just missed focussed a bunch of indoor Tungsten shots.
03-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #96
Forum Member

Ditto on what mrjamesabels said. I love the K-r. The only camera I occasionally wish I had instead is the K-5. :P
04-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #97
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
Ditto on what mrjamesabels said. I love the K-r. The only camera I occasionally wish I had instead is the K-5. :P
+1 for me too !
04-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #98

James thats some lovely pictures. I adore the cat one. Was any PP done on that? (Other then the obvious cropping) because the colours are lovely and vivid. From a technical aspect the sound mixer is a great shot too (actually I've just seen your election in the window, LOL).

Woody

04-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the cat shot is amazing...first rate stuff..I gave you some rep for sharing that...quite something to my eye
04-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #100

I am normally more a fan of cats than cat hairs, but in this case... Wow! I love the tonality in those cat hairs! A truly beautiful image!

Thank you for sharing it, James.

Last edited by Taobat; 04-01-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
04-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #101

I got the K-r anyway despite the fact that many people have FF problems. I'm very hopeful that they will release a firmware to fix it.
04-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #102

I got the FF problems ...when the firmware for fix will appear
04-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Saw a DA70 Ltd today, absolutely wanted it, was this > < close to buying it new (literallyhad my wallet opened and had the debit card out), then I remembered I may have to sell/RA my KR and relented Gonna try to get a DA70 second hand anyway so if I need to I wont make the much a loss.
04-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #104

is there any new information about firmware???
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Alego Quote
is there any new information about firmware???
Anyone? I really want to start using my camera at last, 6 months after the purchase...