Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by Stepalex Quote
Anyone? I really want to start using my camera at last, 6 months after the purchase...
Whats stopping you?
The FF under tungston is relativly minor

woody

04-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #107

I don't have an answer for you, but I also called the Pentax service folks about focus problems on the K-r. They told me it would likely take 3-4 weeks and that's more time than I am willing to give up the camera for.

I don't know what the chances are that the camera would come back from AZ fixed. In my case, I've convinced myself that my camera has a manual focus problem that can be corrected with an aftermarket focus screen and some shims (hopefully).

I also think I have an AF problem, but for that, I'm going to wait for a firmware update.

If you do send your camera to AZ, please let us know if they can fix it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ewheeler20 Quote
I'm sorry, but I haven't read this entire thread.. it's long now. I have one question:

Should I wait to send my Pentax K-r into the Pentax Service Department to fix my FF problem until a known firmware update is released? Or are they able to fix it now?

I ask because I plan on sending mine in in the next day or two after I spoke (texted) with a Pentax Customer Service Rep who told me to send it in to their service dept in Chandler, AZ...

Thanks!
-Eric
04-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Whats stopping you?
The FF under tungston is relativly minor

woody
My camera is unusable under tungsten with all my lenses. It's been to the local service once and they failed to fix it.
04-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stepalex Quote
My camera is unusable under tungsten with all my lenses. It's been to the local service once and they failed to fix it.
So it goes a way for a month and it wasn't even fixed? I'm glad I didnt send mine away now. I hope the update comes soon

04-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Ok this settles it, if an update isn't out by the time the D5100 is available in AU, I'm gonna try to go for a refund or sell my gear and get the D5100. So pentax (assuming you read this, or maybe you only read the k-5 forums), you have a time frame, get an update out or I'm out.
04-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #111
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG, Verglace is out if we don't hurry up with this firmware! Forget the tsunami, we need to get to work!!!!!
04-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Ok this settles it, if an update isn't out by the time the D5100 is available in AU, I'm gonna try to go for a refund or sell my gear and get the D5100. So pentax (assuming you read this, or maybe you only read the k-5 forums), you have a time frame, get an update out or I'm out.
Gasp! That will make them cringe at the next boardroom meeting.

Nah seriously, 1 less sale means Pentax's 2.9% market share drops right down to 2.8999904761904761904761904761905%

.R. -- Give or take 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% [on 2010 figures]
04-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Tsunami affected them so much, they even had time to release a new $5,000 lens. Just goes to show that they really only care about their expensive products while disregarding the customers who bought the budget models.

And laugh all you want about 1 person returning the products. The fact is its not just one person, plenty of other people had returned their K-Rs because of this issue and the lack of after sales service from pentax. I'm certainly not the first and likely wont be the last, and those numbers will only add up if they don't do anything soon.

04-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbellarosa Quote
has a manual focus problem
I think that the "manual focus problem" is much more related to your eyes and the difficulty of focusing with the nude viewfinder...an aftermarket splitscreen will solve the problem but you'll lose center point metering (i think, from what i read when i was considering getting one...from then on you'll have to use center pondered.)
Maybe the diopter arrangement in the viewfinder isn't calibrated focus on something in the infinity and arrange the diopter on the view finder.

returned their K-Rs because of this issue
No need to switch brands..just get yourself a Kx.

They will eventualy solve the issue.

Last edited by Coeurdechene; 04-05-2011 at 09:32 AM.
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #115

I suggest you wait for around 6 months. You know, to see if has some bugs to get fixed too .

I'm still waiting also, btw
04-05-2011, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #116

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tsunami affected them so much, they even had time to release a new $5,000 lens. Just goes to show that they really only care about their expensive products while disregarding the customers who bought the budget models.

First off I understand how you feel, this is a pain in the backside.
Am I happy that there are unresolved issues with my K-r?
No.

But how exactly is the marketing and manufacturing production of the lens you mention related to the software/firmware work on the camera bodies?
Its quite possible that the marketing, manufacturing, distribution, and other planning work related to the launch of the lens was already 95% done before the quake and that last 5% probably had nothing to do with the camera firmware division.

I know for a while there there were rolling blackouts in parts of Japan due to the power-grid issues and they still might be having them for all I know.
Now I don't know if the location where the firmware is developed was in those parts of Japan, but Its kind of hard to work on the software issues without power if it is.

And with over 12,000 confirmed dead, and many more expected, how do you know that the people working on the firmware are not dealing with deaths of loved ones? Or dealing with loved ones who are are among the many more displaced and homeless?

The fact that there is a significant bug with the K-r auto focus in low light is a major pain to many, but there are workarounds that may work until they release an update.
Use LiveView, which uses a different method do determine focus.
Or manually focus, ignoring the focus confirmation indicators, and use your eyes like we used to with manual focus cameras.

Right now as an ameture hack who takes pictures for fun, I have only been bitten by this once, and that was before I joined here and read what it was.
Looking back at it, if I knew about the problem then, I would have skipped the auto focus and just went manual.

I am going to try and patiently wait for the fix, and in an attempt to keep the issue a priority for them, respectfully remind them periodically that the issue affects me on occasion.

How long will I wait before I start getting 'Mad' about it?
I don't know, but I know it took a little more than a month for the people affected by Katrina to get back to a 'normal' routine.
04-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by smrk Quote
No.

But how exactly is the marketing and manufacturing production of the lens you mention related to the software/firmware work on the camera bodies?
Its quite possible that the marketing, manufacturing, distribution, and other planning work related to the launch of the lens was already 95% done before the quake and that last 5% probably had nothing to do with the camera firmware division.

I know for a while there there were rolling blackouts in parts of Japan due to the power-grid issues and they still might be having them for all I know.
Now I don't know if the location where the firmware is developed was in those parts of Japan, but Its kind of hard to work on the software issues without power if it is.

And with over 12,000 confirmed dead, and many more expected, how do you know that the people working on the firmware are not dealing with deaths of loved ones? Or dealing with loved ones who are are among the many more displaced and homeless?

The fact that there is a significant bug with the K-r auto focus in low light is a major pain to many, but there are workarounds that may work until they release an update.
Or manually focus, ignoring the focus confirmation indicators, and use your eyes like we used to with manual focus cameras.

Right now as an ameture hack who takes pictures for fun, I have only been bitten by this once, and that was before I joined here and read what it was.
Looking back at it, if I knew about the problem then, I would have skipped the auto focus and just went manual.

I am going to try and patiently wait for the fix, and in an attempt to keep the issue a priority for them, respectfully remind them periodically that the issue affects me on occasion.

I don't know, but I know it took a little more than a month for the people affected by Katrina to get back to a 'normal' routine.
It took me 6 months, but now I am mad. And it's not about poor people affected by the earthquake etc - it's about a company refusing to publicly acknowledge (and thus far address!) a critical fault in its
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by smrk Quote
No.

It took me 6 moths, but now I AM mad. And it's not about PEOPLE affected by disasters, it's about a COMPANY refusing to acknowledge or address a critical fault in one of its products - SIX freaking months after the launch! And I also wonder how none of the "professional" reviews mentioned this deficiency...
04-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #119

From Dpreview Forum:

QuoteQuote:
I have some news from Pentax, I wrote to them asking about news regarding new FW for K-r. This is what they wrote:
The K5 had the same Frontfocussing-problem as the K-r.
The new firmware that solved the issue for the K5 was published after a month of severe testing just before the earthquake in Japan
This testing must also be done for the new K-r firmware, but we don't know in how far the situation in
Japan at the moment is delaying this testing-phase.
We hope you understand that the publication-date will be later than expected.
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #120

I just got my camera back from the service center. According to the service description they changed some parts, calibrated the autofocus and updated the firmware. Before the service firmware was 1.01 and is also now 1.01. I wonder what they did...

E-dial is now working better, but focusing is as bad as it was. This camera is currently useless for me. It works outdoors, but so does camera on my mobile phone. I don't use K-r anymore, because I get better pictures with my Canon compact camera, and I can trust it.

People DON'T BUY K-r until there's a fix. It's a mess. Pentax has had something like six months time to fix the issue, and they haven't done anything. In my opionion it's a total failure. This was my first and quite probably also the last Pentax product. I'll contact the importer for to get my money back. So many wasted shots and wasted time...