Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #121

I got the K-r recently despite the FF issue reported by many. I'm hopeful that they will release a firmware to fix it. As a software engineer, I know how much work it goes into testing a piece of software before releasing to the public. I'm sure Pentax is taking their time in doing so, and I'd rather wait for it to work correctly than updating to another buggy version.

04-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #122

any news about debug mode for pentax k-r?
04-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
I think that the "manual focus problem" is much more related to your eyes and the difficulty of focusing with the nude viewfinder...an aftermarket splitscreen will solve the problem but you'll lose center point metering (i think, from what i read when i was considering getting one...from then on you'll have to use center pondered.)
Maybe the diopter arrangement in the viewfinder isn't calibrated focus on something in the infinity and arrange the diopter on the view finder.

No need to switch brands..just get yourself a Kx.

They will eventualy solve the issue.
So your solution to the problem is:
Manual Focus Issues - Get an after market focuser which more money need to be spent on and lose some functionality

The KR itself - Award the company that has had 6 months already to fix the problem (has done so already for the more expensive product, but for some reason ignored the budget product) by buying the more budget and discontinued product?
I do not feel any loyalty to stick to the brand that has betrayed my trust as a customer, if a fix is not issued soon I will not be buying any Pentax products for the rest of my life and will steer clear as far away as possible from Hoya products.
04-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
So your solution to the problem is:
Manual Focus Issues - Get an after market focuser which more money need to be spent on and lose some functionality

The KR itself - Award the company that has had 6 months already to fix the problem (has done so already for the more expensive product, but for some reason ignored the budget product) by buying the more budget and discontinued product?
I do not feel any loyalty to stick to the brand that has betrayed my trust as a customer, if a fix is not issued soon I will not be buying any Pentax products for the rest of my life and will steer clear as far away as possible from Hoya products.
Even when the fix is available, it seems like you won't be satisfied anyway.

No camera you buy will ever be perfect. Manufacturing tolerances see to that. You can buy another brand camera but I'm betting even money you'll be disappointed in that too.

From what I read you're only photographing still subjects (textures) so why not use the live view and be happy? You'll get the advantage of mirror lock up as well.

04-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #125

QuoteOriginally posted by beamme84 Quote
I got the K-r recently despite the FF issue reported by many. I'm hopeful that they will release a firmware to fix it. As a software engineer, I know how much work it goes into testing a piece of software before releasing to the public. I'm sure Pentax is taking their time in doing so, and I'd rather wait for it to work correctly than updating to another buggy version.
+1 and have some rep my good man.
04-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beamme84 Quote
They released two cameras with front focusing problems to the public. Shows just how much "time" they put into testing their products. Maybe they should have taken their time actually testing the products before putting them up for sale.

LiveView is very slow and noisy, manual focusing even slower.
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
Even when the fix is available, it seems like you won't be satisfied anyway.

No camera you buy will ever be perfect. Manufacturing tolerances see to that. You can buy another brand camera but I'm betting even money you'll be disappointed in that too.

From what I read you're only photographing still subjects (textures) so why not use the live view and be happy? You'll get the advantage of mirror lock up as well.
As I've explaiend before, I'm fine with manufacturing faults. I bought an iPad2, the home button was unresponsive, I took it back to the shop they replaced it for me and its fixed. I'm very happy with it. Apparently theres some issues with the wifi for it as well, apple announced they will fix it, happy wth that. My Xbox 360 had a RROD, contacted Microsoft, and it was fixed, perfectly happy with that. My AU HTC Desire had GPS problems (could not get a lock-firmware problem) when I bought it - the day it was released, Telstra quickly announced that they are aware of the issue and were releasing a fix, the fix took a while but a fix was announced officially, I was happy to wait.

Compare that to the K-R. It can't focus in low light, no official announcement of a fix. Can't take it back to the shop as all cameras are affected. Can take it to be serviced for 4 weeks, but according to the ones that already had, it doesn't fix the issue. Its been 6 months since the camera was released to the public and the problem was identified earlier on.

04-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #128

Manual focusing even slower? Surely this varies with A) the lens mechanics, B) how fast you turn the focusing ring and C) how far the needed focus is from the last focus--e.g., extreme close focus to infinity will take longer manually... How does the body come into play?

I did some tests with manual focusing and the kit 18-55 and could not find a problem, even when minimizing dof, shooting wide open.
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taobat Quote
Manual focusing even slower? Surely this varies with A) the lens mechanics, B) how fast you turn the focusing ring and C) how far the needed focus is from the last focus--e.g., extreme close focus to infinity will take longer manually... How does the body come into play?

I did some tests with manual focusing and the kit 18-55 and could not find a problem, even when minimizing dof, shooting wide open.
For many people that bought an entry level camera (ie... entry-level skills) manually focusing will be slower than autofocusing. Nothing to do with the body, just facts and applies to all cameras. But the point is ViewFinder focusing is faster than Live View focusing, and Live View focusing is more likely to be faster than manual focusing (for an entry level person who is most likely to buy an entry level camera -- experienced people I don't doubt can manually focus very fast).
04-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #130

Compare that to the K-R. It can't focus in low light, no official announcement of a fix. Can't take it back to the shop as all cameras are affected.
The K-r certainly can focus in low light... Is it possible that not all cameras have the problem or, if they do, not to the same degree?

I could not find a serious FF problem under tungsten with my new K-r this weekend, despite trying hard to create it...

Last edited by Taobat; 04-05-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixing a mssing Question Mark.
04-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taobat Quote
The K-r certainly can focus in low light... Is it possible that not all cameras have the problem or, if they do, not to the same degree?

I could not find a serious FF problem under tungsten with my new K-r this weekend, despite trying hard to create it...
If that is the case then its possible that it's not a software issue? Check your firmware version number see if its v1.01. The software should be the same, if you have the same firmware and you don't have tungsten focusing issues then the problem is hardware, if that is the case then pentax should do a recall as it is a hardware issue.
04-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #132

Compare that to the K-R. It can't focus in low light
I must be lucky, I've focused mine in very dim light without issue.

QuoteQuote:
no official announcement of a fix. Can't take it back to the shop as all cameras are affected
This is just over-emotive hyperbole. I've already mentioned your statutory rights under Australian consumer law, if you're not happy go and get your refund. You are actually entitled to one! Besides, 'no official announcement of a fix' is an absolute myth. You've seen several Pentax distributors have acknowledged the problem and that it is being worked on. Your cynicism seems to prevent you from accepting the truth as it is, because it hasn't come from Hoya/Pentax Japan. For the record, I once worked as a CSR for many years and not everything is simply 'spin' just to shut customers up.

QuoteQuote:
Can take it to be serviced for 4 weeks, but according to the ones that already had, it doesn't fix the issue. Its been 6 months since the camera was released to the public and the problem was identified earlier on.
Is your camera completely broken? No. If you chose to, you could actually photograph what you need, with perfect focus, either with live view, manual focus (you don't necessarily need an aftermarket screen) or with regular AF so long as it's not under tungsten light. For whatever reason, you seem hellbent on not using a camera that, despite it's minor FF issues, can actually do its job! Amazing.

If you really think Pentax would commit corporate suicide and not fix the issue at hand, you're kidding yourself. They've worked hard over recent years to claw back market share from CanNikon, and you think they'd toss it all away by ignoring a well documented issue?

Get your refund, get your CanNikon and be happy. Although you'll find they're not perfect either.
04-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
I must be lucky, I've focused mine in very dim light without issue.

This is just over-emotive hyperbole. I've already mentioned your statutory rights under Australian consumer law, if you're not happy go and get your refund. You are actually entitled to one! Besides, 'no official announcement of a fix' is an absolute myth. You've seen several Pentax distributors have acknowledged the problem and that it is being worked on. Your cynicism seems to prevent you from accepting the truth as it is, because it hasn't come from Hoya/Pentax Japan. For the record, I once worked as a CSR for many years and not everything is simply 'spin' just to shut customers up.

Is your camera completely broken? No. If you chose to, you could actually photograph what you need, with perfect focus, either with live view, manual focus (you don't necessarily need an aftermarket screen) or with regular AF so long as it's not under tungsten light. For whatever reason, you seem hellbent on not using a camera that, despite it's minor FF issues, can actually do its job! Amazing.

If you really think Pentax would commit corporate suicide and not fix the issue at hand, you're kidding yourself. They've worked hard over recent years to claw back market share from CanNikon, and you think they'd toss it all away by ignoring a well documented issue?

Get your refund, get your CanNikon and be happy. Although you'll find they're not perfect either.
I never said I wasnt using the camera, in fact if you read my other posts outside this forums you will find that I am enjoying the camera. However there is a giant flaw (it may be minor for you, but its not for me) I would like Pentax to fix it, If I simply wanted to change I would have already but I want to fix it. And yes as I mentioned, if there is no fix by the time a certain camera from a certain competitor arrives I will get the refund. I'm hoping I won't have to but at this point its very likely I would. I'm not looking for perfect, im looking for working like it says in the spec sheet.
04-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #134

Photos: Albums
Any news on when the fix is coming?
04-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #135
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
Any news on when the fix is coming?
Here's your sign!