Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #136

Photos: Albums
Japanese Pentax website posted their plant and facility just got power back last week and started normal operation. May take a while to get back where they left off.

04-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #137

If my Googling yielded accurate results, while Pentax has business offices in Tokyo, their main facility in Japan is in Mashiko, in Tochigi prefecture. This somewhat rural location lies a bit less than halfway between Tokyo and the Stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex.

Of the hundreds of aftershocks that have followed the big one, quite a few large (mag 6-7) have hit both east and west, north and south of the Pentax Mashiko facility.

The only thing in my personal experience that can give me any insight into the disruption the people of Japan and the region must be feeling is 9/11 in lower Manhattan. One tenth the number of people were lost in that attack and the power problems we had were not as prolonged. Neverthless, we were all stunned for months.

It's not unreasonable to think that these extraordinary circumstances have delayed the release of the FF fixing firmware upgrade that should be coming to the K-r.

For what it's worth, I was able to get FF today by using center point AF in shadows from a tungsten bulb... I switched to manual focusing and that fixed the problem.
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #138

I just talked to the repair shop where my k-r is being serviced. They said they hadnt done anything with it but they thought it worked fine with the white balance set to tungsten. I'll have to check that when i get it back.
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now, I join the crowd... just ordered my K-r and hope that a new firmware will fix the FF issue.

04-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #140
Veteran Member

After having played with my friend's nikon D3100 for a whole week, I decided to purchase one, it might be less specced but in tungsten light my productivity was increased so much as I never needed to check the images if they focused correctly after every shot. I'm still going to keep my K-r as a reminder to be much more pragmatic in the future, be conservative in my choices and that there is a reason that the road less traveled has less travelers using it (and I don't want the guilt of passing on a defective product to someone else).

In my purchases of accessories I also used the adorama link here to support these forums because I felt it deserved something as it lead me to my decision.
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #141
Inactive Account

I'll gladly take that defective k-r from you, Verglace...
My girlfriend likes mine and wants one.
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #142
LIJ
Forum Member

The D3100 is indeed a fine camera. Congrats! Hope you enjoy it!

04-08-2011, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@Verglace,

I had a very similar decision to make. In the past I owned a Canon 1Ds Mk II with loads of lenses and also a Nikon D700 with a good mix of lenses. Due to reasons I don't want to explain in public I had to sell all of that.

But I did like the D700 over the 1Ds Mk II because I think Nikon has just that bit above Canon, which makes the difference. Handling and ergonomics of the Nikon was better.

And I would have gone back again to Nikon, if not one reason would have convinced me for a Pentax......the use of old manual M42 lenses.

If you want a pro/semi-pro SLR, then there are only two vendors in that ball game. Sorry Nikon, you're not. For budget reasons, I start now with the K-r, but the K-5 is definitely on my wish list for this year.

And I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy your D3100. It is a fine camera.
04-09-2011, 03:37 AM   #144
Veteran Member

I'm enjoying it very much... well not my one but my friend's that I've been using for a bit more than a week now (my one hasn't arrived yet UPS says Thursday). It's not the latest and greatest but I know what its capable of, the good and the bad, and it is the perfect one for me as it fits my needs perfectly. I'm looking forward to building a new system around it for many reasons, which I guess I really shouldnt say considering how defensive pentaxians get.

M42 Lenses are a non-factor for me, i'm not really one of those 'they dont build things like they used to' person. I value good support that can actually fix problems rather than give excuses and a safe warranty more than any nostalgic/sentimental reasons.

I guess I'm also keeping my K-R, its so refreshing to not have to check the preview for focusing issues after every picture taken in tungsten light, and its quite nice not to have to check if an update is out every day. Since I'm keeping my K-R I'm just going to use it as my rough and dirty camera... places where I might not be as comfortable taking an camera with me, its already defective anyway so what the heck right? I can still find use for it which makes it not a total waste of money, it will make a great throw around camera I think.

So, I'm not really waiting for a firmware update anymore and shouldnt really be participating in this thread any longer because of that, I guess this will be my last post here.
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Sayonara
04-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #146

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
Sayonara
Seems like he's buying his D3100 from overseas, which probably makes it a grey import. I wonder if he knows that his shiny new Nikon has no international warranty?
04-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #147
Inactive Account

No firmware yet but I got a email today for a workaround (using tungsten not awb). Not sure if this means that there won't be a firmware fix. Here is the email.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We have heard back from PENTAX in Japan on information we submitted regarding reports of a K-r front focus issue when shooting under Tungsten light. They have confirmed this and have supplied the following workaround.

PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
04-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #148

QuoteOriginally posted by ToGo Quote
No firmware yet but I got a email today for a workaround (using tungsten not awb). Not sure if this means that there won't be a firmware fix. Here is the email.

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We have heard back from PENTAX in Japan on information we submitted regarding reports of a K-r front focus issue when shooting under Tungsten light. They have confirmed this and have supplied the following workaround.

PENTAX in Japan has advised that to reduce the occurrence of front focusing when shooting in Tungsten light, to set the White Balance to Tungsten (instead of using Auto White Balance).

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
What? Set the the balance to tungsten is a workaround? I am pretty sure I had been doing that all along and still had a problem... I'll check later.
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #149

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
What? Set the the balance to tungsten is a workaround? I am pretty sure I had been doing that all along and still had a problem... I'll check later.
Some users (including myself) report improvement when using Tungsten white balance instead of AWB. Some don't though.

That said, the K-5/k-7 secondary sensor function might be doing this 'automatically', without affecting camera WB of course. Just the AF module part.

Now if they fix this issue via a software/firmware solution, this renders the secondary sensor useless/obsolete.

Now if that happens, the K-5/K-7 loses marketing points for the secondary sensor, and buyers will be paying extra for a useless component.

Note that the word here is 'IF'. They might improve but not totally eliminate the prob by firmware (not intentionally but a technical limit), and that + the secondary sensor completely solves it.

Then we're all happy.
04-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #150
Forum Member

What does the secondary sensor have to do with it when older Pentax SLRs performed just better - pre-firmware fix - without it?

Should just mean the K-5 focuses faster or something, no?