Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
Have you got a sample you could link to? I've seen some examples on the web, but nothing shot with a K-r.
Patience Grasshopper, seek and ye shall find.

There have been several real-world examples posted up to this forum (and elsewhere) over the past months, which simple searches will easily reveal for those wanting to know and, are willing to make the small effort to research.

The undeniable existence of this faulty behaviour in 100% of K-r's doesn't have to be regurgitated to be reproven and "rejustified" here every day.

Otoh, or to paraphrase what abcdave so poignantly suggested here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/137537-who-else-waiting-...ml#post1487313 : Those who choose to may just continue to traverse through The Ostrich School Of Life™...

.R. -- When all is said and done, there is more said than done.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 05-01-2011 at 07:26 PM.
05-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #212

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote

There have been several real-world examples posted up to this forum (and elsewhere) over the past months, which simple searches will easily reveal for those wanting to know and, are willing to make the small effort to research.

The undeniable existence of this faulty behaviour in 100% of K-r's doesn't have to be regurgitated to be reproven and "rejustified" here every day.

Otoh, or to paraphrase what abcdave so poignantly suggested here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/137537-who-else-waiting-...ml#post1487313 : Those who choose to may just continue to traverse through The Ostrich School Of Life™...

.R. -- When all is said and done, there is more said than done.
I was a bit trigger happy wasn't I

But yes I did find some in the interim..
05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nandystam Quote
I was a bit trigger happy wasn't I

But yes I did find some in the interim..
ROFL! Glad you found some (and have a sense of humour).

We really should put a productive angle on these discussions now - they say the best thing to do with a lemon is to turn it into lemonade, so I've been thinking up ideas to do my K-r.

Anyone suggest more?

1. Doorstop/Paperweight.
2. Use for motorcycle-cam in Dakar Rally.
3. Gift it to a worst enemy/mother-in-law/...
4. Paint CaNikSony logo on the body for use in public without embarrassment.
5. Keep in attic 75 years waiting for an upcoming rare vintage cameras sale.
6. Make a mint out of running Out-Of-Focus photo competitions for K-r owners.

.R. -- Zen adage: Anything one cannot bear to give up is not owned, but is in fact the owner.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 05-02-2011 at 01:56 AM.
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #214

If the assist beams helps minimizing this issue, then a firmware fix can let this light up earlier or manually (have a setting always turn on).

Of course it does not help much if the target is too far away, but still better than nothing.

Another option is we all send our units to Japan anyway......

05-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #215
Veteran Member

Hi guys, havent been on this thread long but have some news.

I've got a friend who also has a KR (hes the **** that recommended me to get it) anyway, he said that he changed the focusing screen to another one, when he changed it he had to remove the shim (the U copper bit at the top he said) in order to fit the other focusing screen. He wanted to try the stock focusing screen again and he place it back on but forgot to add the shim, after that he says his KR doesn't FF anymore.

Don't wanna try it on my camera as I don't want to break the warranty, but if some of you are crazy enough to try I thought you may like to know.

Please note I've never tried this and I actually haven't used his camera so I don't know if it is true or not. I do not have first hand knowledge and just passing on some unproven information.
05-02-2011, 04:49 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax's stand that changing a focus screen breaks the warranty is completely stupid. Why build in a user changeable screen feature and then tell users that they can't change the screen. Why does Pentax sell different screens if they should not be changed? Changing the screen on a Pentax is no more difficult than on my old Olympus OM camera. That is to say they are both delicate operations, but Olympus touted this feature at the time.
Your friend may be saying that his camera does not FF if manually focused, I don't know. The shim is used to correct manual focus. The focus sensors are not in the screen. The screen does not affect the auto focus sensors. The camera should still auto focus without a screen at all, but I haven't tried this.
05-02-2011, 05:48 AM   #217
LIJ
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentax's stand that changing a focus screen breaks the warranty is completely stupid.
I'm pretty sure that Pentax says that your warranty is void if you change the focus screen BY YOURSELF. They're saying that if you get your dirty fingers inside the camera they built and mess someting up, they're not gonna fix it for you for free. But you can have an authorized repair person do it for you as long as your using their screen. Perfectly understandable in my opinion.

05-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #218
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abcdave Quote
If you have the problem, believe me, you will know it. ...
I don't think this is quite true, I'm completely new to SLRs, as many with a K-r will be, so I was putting down appalling shots just to poor light. In my case I thought the ability to capture excellent images on my Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 was down to the wider apperture when actually most of the difference was that I was manually focussing on that lens and the kit zoom lens was just out of focus due to the camera fault.
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #219

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
I don't think this is quite true, I'm completely new to SLRs, as many with a K-r will be, so I was putting down appalling shots just to poor light. In my case I thought the ability to capture excellent images on my Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 was down to the wider apperture when actually most of the difference was that I was manually focussing on that lens and the kit zoom lens was just out of focus due to the camera fault.
Your shooting with an M50 1.7 indoors above say f/4-5.6 and getting better results? Or your shooting around f/2 and getting better results?
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #220

the debug mode for the pentax k-r like pentax k-x?

exist?
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramones1985 Quote
the debug mode for the pentax k-r like pentax k-x?

exist?
You don't need the debug mode, since the K-r has built-in micro-adjustment, option C21: AF fine adjustment. Only one setting supported, though, so you need to remember different settings for all your lenses, just as with the debug menu. I glue a note on the inside of the lens cap, this also reminds me to actually change the value, a lesson learned the hard way
05-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
You don't need the debug mode, since the K-r has built-in micro-adjustment, option C21: AF fine adjustment. Only one setting supported, though, so you need to remember different settings for all your lenses, just as with the debug menu. I glue a note on the inside of the lens cap, this also reminds me to actually change the value, a lesson learned the hard way
But is only -10 and +10 ....

with debug mode, in kx, there are -50 +50 .....
05-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #223

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramones1985 Quote
But is only -10 and +10 ....

with debug mode, in kx, there are -50 +50 .....
Can you set it only to specific WB? And is it possible for the k-r?
05-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #224

QuoteOriginally posted by Metalwizards Quote
Can you set it only to specific WB? And is it possible for the k-r?
No, I don't think you can set it to a specific WB, at least I don't know how to.
05-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #225
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote

99.9% maybe. Mine does NOT have the FF problem. I tested it using the methods recommended here and could not find fault but did not believe it because ALL KRs are faulty, therefore I must be wrong, so I took it in to Kennedys agents in Brisbane and got them to test it.
Obviously they were biased as when I picked it up it had a 100% clean bill of health so I lent it to a friend who is a Wedding Photographer using Canon gear.

He got his assistant to use it for a little bit and he said the shots taken were clearer than what they were getting from his (the assistants) usual 40D when they reviewed them later. He said it had no problems handling low light under any lighting conditions.

So I guess I am stuck with a lemon that actually works - what worries me is IF mine is ok now, what happens if they bring out a software update to fix all those that DO have problems - Will it screw mine up completely. I don't think I will risk it.
I sympathize with those that do have problems and hope that they do bring out a solution but I will NOT be downloading it.