Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
... I've now gone through both the Digital Concepts 918AF, the Vivitar 383 (basically same flash), now I can with good confidence count out the Promaster w/ th module setup.

sigh

..just looking for a P-TTL setup for my K-r without killing my wallet (plus I'd like swivel ability plus up/down capability. Looking at the Metz 48AF1....LOL, I dont even know if THATS compatible, truth be told

Any suggestions, i am looking on the used market, under $225, will spend more for new if need to...
FYI, Metz 48/50/58, sigma 530 series, works on my kr and k5. i done the testing myself while searching for a new flash.

03-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

thnx, poseur- much appreciated
03-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great info guys.
03-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
thnx, poseur- much appreciated
you are very welcome.

03-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #20

Metz 48 af1 (firmware 3.0) + K5 (firmware 1.03) work fine. significant improvement after updating Metz - and please note - this after Metz telling us for months that it was all never due to the flash unit but a K5 problem. They must have fixed the K% problem then
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #21

I recently upgraded to a K-r from a K100D Super. My Vivitar DF-383 flash is also having these problems. In TTL mode, it just strobes uncontrollably. It also can no longer detect the f-stop, zoom, or ISO from the camera correctly. In manual mode it works, but it will only fire every other shutter release for some reason. All the contact points seem fine.

I read about other people having some of these problems here. I'm wondering if the new K-r and K5 have changed the P-TTL system and it's not conforming to the previous standards. I have an email in to Pentax to see what's up.

But the big thing I want to point out is that this flash worked when I first tested it with my K-r. I did not to a super elaborate test, but I remember briefly testing the TTL auto modes, manual modes, rear curtain, etc. on the flash to make sure it worked with my new camera. I don't remember having any issues. A few days later, I upgraded my K-r to the latest firmware. It was a few weeks before I used the flash again, and these problems started happening.

I'm wondering if it's just a flaw in the current firmware that's making it behave crazy.
04-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Promaster 5050DX that works fine with my K200D but is not recognized by the K-R. My Pentax 360 flash works with the K-R OK. I e-mailed Promaster about this and they said Pentax changed the way the camera interacts with the flash in the K-R, the one and only Promaster flash that will work with the K-R needs a firmware upgrade to function properly. An upgrade for my flash is not available at this time and no schedule for an upgrade is known.
Lets check... miss focus in low light, FF in tungsten light, AutoPict is so different from the K200D that my wife won't use the K-R and I need to buy an AF540 flash to get swivel. Hmmm...Not good, not good.

04-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #23

Boo... Got this message back from Pentax...

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We don't test our DSLRs for compatibility with non-Pentax brand flashes. It may be that the K-r with the firmware update is no longer compatible with your Vivtar flash. We would not expect Pentax Japan to be developing any firmware upgrade for our DSLRs to address compatibility issues with other brand flashes.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

So I guess that makes it okay, right? It's not just my flash.
04-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by jhonny0099 Quote
Boo... Got this message back from Pentax...

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

We don't test our DSLRs for compatibility with non-Pentax brand flashes. It may be that the K-r with the firmware update is no longer compatible with your Vivtar flash. We would not expect Pentax Japan to be developing any firmware upgrade for our DSLRs to address compatibility issues with other brand flashes.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

So I guess that makes it okay, right? It's not just my flash.
my heart goes with you and i was forced to upgrade my flash for more expensive options.