Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Wireless Remote with the K-R

I see that there are several wireless remotes for the K-R... and it will be a valuable tool to have... what I want to know is...

#1 Can any of them work form the rear of the camera
#2 can you us them to control the exposure length?

Chuck

03-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chukers Quote
I see that there are several wireless remotes for the K-R... and it will be a valuable tool to have... what I want to know is...

#1 Can any of them work form the rear of the camera
#2 can you us them to control the exposure length?
1. No, the K-r only has the one front of body IR sensor, unfortunately. (You could try reflecting the beam off a small mirror mounted in front, it works. )

2. Yes, in Bulb mode. There are 2 choices for how the Remote acts, refer Custom Settings C.3.15 in the Menu -- pp 90, 114 in the manual.
The Drive Mode timer also allows a 3 seconds delay, usually enough for the mirror-up vibration to settle.

Fwiw: I find the cheap eBay or DealExtreme universal remotes work excellent for the price, giving =< 3.1 metres range. The genuine Pentax one would want to do 3 times that for the money they charge.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-22-2011 at 01:11 PM.
03-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
1. No, the K-r only has the one front of body IR sensor, unfortunately. (You could try reflecting the beam off a small mirror mounted in front, it works. )

2. Yes, in Bulb mode. There are 2 choices for how the Remote acts, refer Custom Settings C.3.15 in the Menu -- pp 90, 114 in the manual.
The Drive Mode timer also allows a 3 seconds delay, usually enough for the mirror-up vibration to settle.

Fwiw: I find the cheap eBay or DealExtreme universal remotes work excellent for the price, giving =< 3.1 metres range. The genuine Pentax one would want to do 3 times that for the money they charge.

.R.
I have found that my K-r resopnds to a cheap ebay one from when pointed at it from any angle except when facing the left side of the camera body. it always seems to work from behind?
any way thought would mention that, oh yes and thats outdoors so its not reflecting I don't think.
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

Hypocorism, the one at Deal Extreme does not list the K-r.....but you say it does work well? And if so, does it just work for the shutter? Or can it zoom too?

Last edited by ccd333; 03-23-2011 at 11:41 AM.
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
Hypocorism, the one at Deal Extreme does not list the K-r.....but you say it does work well? And if so, does it just work for the shutter? Or can it zoom too?
Don't worry about specific model support, all Pentax cameras seem to operate on the same I.R wavelength. (as do other brands)

I've not had success with any DX/eBay remote for zooming the lens on Pentax. And that could only apply to certain lenses anyway, I'm not sure which ones they make that might have motorized zoom.
(nb. I only use them for remote shutter activation.)

To be honest, I don't understand the usefulness of such a function[] on a DSLR. Normally the remote is operated from front, as designed, so how could you visually "frame" a pic without physical access to the viewfinder or the LCD (live view)?

Unless the camera was tethered to a PC, which is a moot point because Pentax doesn't provide that capability.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-23-2011 at 12:38 PM.
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

To be honest, I don't understand the usefulness of such a function[] on a DSLR. Normally the remote is operated from front, as designed, so how could you visually "frame" a pic without physical access to the viewfinder or the LCD (live view)?
I would use it in many situations as a landscape photographer where I take shots around the time of sunset and sunrise. All too often the low sun at those times is casting long shadows across where the camera is shooting. I typically use the timer on the camera to not only avoid camera shake from shutter depression, but also to allow time to scamper away to avoid shadow from my body (the small tripod I use can also be an issue, but is much easier to work around later).

As far as framing, I would already have that figured out ahead of time using viewfinder or LCD. If the remote was able to zoom at various focal lengths, it would save me several trips back to the camera.

So along those lines I guess the other question would be...how far in front must the remote be in order to send the beam? Can it be on the side enough to stay out of the field of view in the scenario I described? Even if it will give that 3 second delay, that would be enough to move back out of the way.....and would still be better than leaning down to set the timer and zoom in or out in camera each time. I like having the camera low to the ground for effective foreground captures.....and frankly I'm not getting any younger.
03-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #7

But yes, sadly....it's a moot point (for me at least) since I don't have a motorized lens. Maybe someday.
05-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a question with IR remotes.
Does it focus while triggering the shutter release or does it just releases the shutter?

So let suppose I want to take a self portrait and I am not in front of the camera, if I try to auto-focus it will try to focus behind me. Now since, I am in front of the camera. I would like the camera to focus back at my face.

Is that something a Remote Shutter can do?

Thanks!

05-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swapnil Quote
I had a question with IR remotes.
Does it focus while triggering the shutter release or does it just releases the shutter?

So let suppose I want to take a self portrait and I am not in front of the camera, if I try to auto-focus it will try to focus behind me. Now since, I am in front of the camera. I would like the camera to focus back at my face.

Is that something a Remote Shutter can do?

Thanks!
The cameras that I have can be set to focus on remote release. It is in the manual.
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
The cameras that I have can be set to focus on remote release. It is in the manual.
I was going through the K-r manual and found that I can change custom setting. Its on Page 89, C2, Item 14, AF with Remote Control.

I was wondering if the remote control has something like half press for AF. (the chepo on ebays)
05-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
LIJ
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
was wondering if the remote control has something like half press for AF. (the chepo on ebays)
I bought this one. Its super cheap:

When I press the W/T button in the Pentax section (I love the fact that they've put the Pentax buttons at the top) it triggers the focusing system (you can also focus by using the shutter as usual). Its also nice to be able to control all the Nikons and Canons nearby
05-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I use the genuine Pentax IR remote from behind my K-5 (or K-7) when on a tripod to a, eliminate shake and b, when taking cricket shots, allowing me to stand back from the camera (sometimes even beer in hand) and take action sequences while chatting to other people. In cricket, of course, one can frame the action at either the bowlers or strikers end and leave it unchanged for considerable periods of time.

I imagine that would hold true when pre-focused on a bid perch, or other situations, where discrete firing of the camera (say from behind a hide) would be very useful.

Having IR sensors both in font and behind the camera is a terrific feature.
05-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Unless the camera was tethered to a PC, which is a moot point because Pentax doesn't provide that capability.
Check out PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
05-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
I bought this one. Its super cheap:
So finally after doing all the research I bought this one from ebay. Super duper cheap
05-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #15

I just took delivery of this one. was $3. works great for me, but only from the front of the camera, and then only when i hold the button down for a second. could be i need to replace the battery...