Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
AA batteries in K-r - how many shots?

Hi all

Please forgive my ignorance on all matters cameras!

I'm thinking of buying the K-r and the flexibility it has with batteries is a factor in my choice.

I've read up a fair bit and am I right in thinking that AA's will take far more photos than the "standard" lithium battery. I'm sure that's what I read!

I'm assuming this is referring to good quality rechargeable ones - I've been reading up about Eneloops after seeing the name for the first time on here.

Also - I would have thought that ordinary, non-rechargeable AA batteries would run out extremely quickly, if they were useable at all. However, one of the selling points in reviews is that you could pop into a shop and use AAs if you ran out of power - this implies they must at least have some potential as back ups.

Any info would be gratefully received - a rough idea of the number shots using a) rechargeable AAs and b) non-rechargeable would be great.

Thanks for reading this

Si

03-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
AAs in the K-r: GREAT!

QuoteOriginally posted by Popty Ping Quote
Hi all

Please forgive my ignorance on all matters cameras!

I'm thinking of buying the K-r and the flexibility it has with batteries is a factor in my choice.

I've read up a fair bit and am I right in thinking that AA's will take far more photos than the "standard" lithium battery. I'm sure that's what I read!

I'm assuming this is referring to good quality rechargeable ones - I've been reading up about Eneloops after seeing the name for the first time on here.

Also - I would have thought that ordinary, non-rechargeable AA batteries would run out extremely quickly, if they were useable at all. However, one of the selling points in reviews is that you could pop into a shop and use AAs if you ran out of power - this implies they must at least have some potential as back ups.

Any info would be gratefully received - a rough idea of the number shots using a) rechargeable AAs and b) non-rechargeable would be great.

Thanks for reading this

Si
You have to get the AA adaptor for the use of AAs (ONLY Eneloops!), but then things grow wild: 1000 pics and more are usual. If it weren't for the frontfocus-bug of the K-r which makes it a no-go for me, I'd go for it (esp. for the Eneloops)...
;-)
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Well met!

Chack out the attachement (taken from the k-r manual):

Regarding the pricey D-BH109, contact hawk150, he's kind enough to provide the Pentax community with a much cheaper adapter.

Best wishes
Attached Images

03-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Yes, I can say that you get more out of a good set of AAs. I use the NiZi batteries and last a good 1000+ pictures (although that's in rapid succssion, not much LCD and no flash at all).

03-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for clarifying this for me guys - much appreciated.

I must admit I still get a little confused with all the battery types. Can I just ask - Eneloops etc are rechargeable AAs. Can non-rechargeable AAs be used - I'd have thought they'd drain incredibly quickly.

The reason I ask is the reviews of the K-r often make a big thing about the flexibility the AAs provide and say things like "You'll never have have a problem with running out of power, as you can pop in AAs that are available the world over". Surely these types of statements must be referring to non-rechargeable AAs.

While Eneloops etc seem to be excellent, they still need to be charged. I'd like to know whether, as an absolute last resort, non-rechargeables could be used.

any info greatly received.

Si
03-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #6

^
yes, you don't need rechargeable AAs
but you may want to use lithium batteries as others would just drain quickly

and you would need an adapter before you can use AA batteries on the k-r
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #7

Very Interesting...

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
Yes, I can say that you get more out of a good set of AAs. I use the NiZi batteries and last a good 1000+ pictures (although that's in rapid succssion, not much LCD and no flash at all).
hawk1500 - Where did you get your Nickel Zinc batteries? They don't seem to be readily available.
05-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use my Kr with the Pentax adapter and Eneloops, wish I had known about the 3rd party adapter could have saved $20 US. I had the Eneloops for my K2000 they work great on both cameras. I am currently using the AA'a and the lithium as backup.

Hans

05-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

If lithium AAs are that much better, and rechargeable ones are about the same as the Pentax battery, why do they bother with the proprietary one in the first place? Why not just make it AA-only?
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Nation Quote
If lithium AAs are that much better, and rechargeable ones are about the same as the Pentax battery, why do they bother with the proprietary one in the first place? Why not just make it AA-only?
That's probably because the D-LI 109 provides a reliable power source for half the weight and size of AA's with cradle and quick to change over. It's a clever idea that allows you to add extra capacity with AA's and also peace of mind knowing that you can be anywhere in the universe and still have power. I have two of the proprietary ones and will get the cradle for overseas travel, which is why i purchased the K-r. I bought the K200 for the same purpose but when i retuned i grew tired of the unreliable NI-MH (i didn't have eneloops then) and changed it for a K20. I never missed AA's, but i see the value of them for travel. The K-r gives you the best of both.
05-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #11

So how many shots have people here gone with a set of nimh AA batteries? I find that my style of taking pictures allows me to go well beyond the ratings, so I have to wonder if going 2000+ shots on a set of Eneloops would be doable.
08-18-2011, 02:47 AM   #12

Sanyo Eneloops do need recharging. I often forget just when it was that I put them in the camera though as they seem to last for ever. Fab things. Get a couple of sets!