Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 02:29 AM   #1

Thank you! New Kr. now where do I start for a full Kr body checkup?

Thank you Pentax forumers~
Been reading and viewing all your good pics and posts for the last 1-2 years.

1. Now bought a Kr. May I know what steps should I take to make sure it's ok? I know this sounds zzz and I should just go start taking photos! But just to be sure

2. May I know of any good cases (non eye catching, be as low profile as possible ), screen protectors?

Thank you once again!

Please do link me to any posts that have steps to do so, might have missed it while using the Search function.

03-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First thing I did was check the sensors for dust, follow menu for dust detector, make sure to face it on a white wall! Also check for dead/hot pixels on display, then take lots and lots of photos and I guess do the focus test on Home if you're into that
03-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
First thing I did was check the sensors for dust, follow menu for dust detector, make sure to face it on a white wall! Also check for dead/hot pixels on display, then take lots and lots of photos and I guess do the focus test on Home if you're into that
Thank you Verglace! I am now charging the battery :S forgot bout the battery!
03-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yanzhi0714 Quote

1. Now bought a Kr. May I know what steps should I take to make sure it's ok? I know this sounds zzz and I should just go start taking photos! But just to be sure

2. May I know of any good cases (non eye catching, be as low profile as possible ), screen protectors?
1.1. Like Verglace said, properly check, and if necessary clean the camera's sensor -- if typical it's bound to be filthy from the factory.

Useful DLSR cleaning tools to own:

- Giottos Rocket blower AA1900 Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, Manual Air Blower with Extra-Large Rubber Bulb - 7.5" Long
and either...
- Eyelead Sensor cleaning kit Eyelead Sensor Cleaning Kit SCK-1 Dust-sticking Bar & Cleaning Papers| MaxSaver.Net (hvStar)
..OR..
- Pentax equivalent of the above 39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

1.2. And check to see if the camera is second hand (has greater than a shutter count of 2 on the first image that you take, use this PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor to check the count of your first image (it should be 2). Take it back if suss, you don't want the returned for refund shit from 3 previous "trial" owners, or in-store demo that's been mauled and molested by every gronk in town.
Also test to see of the rear e-Dial (wheel) and all other buttons respond reliably, and work exactly as documented.

2.1. Any suitable daggy looking case or shoulder bag that fits and protects the camera gear from the basic elements and looks inconspicuous is good thing; or, there are plenty of fancy expensive ones available with large brand logos that look shiny-shiny and scream Steal Me Now! if you prefer that approach.

2.2. I use this LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - BUY - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS for screen protector. And more traditional types can be found on eBay for a bit less expensive.

Only ever use good quality SD Cards of genuine Class 6 or higher rating, and order yourself a spare battery or 2 off eBay.

That's enough for starters. Have fun with your K-r.

Ps; did you buy it in Melbourne?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-24-2011 at 07:08 AM.
03-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
1.1. Like Verglace said, properly check, and if necessary clean the camera's sensor -- if typical it's bound to be filthy from the factory.

Useful DLSR cleaning tools to own:

- Giottos Rocket blower AA1900 Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, Manual Air Blower with Extra-Large Rubber Bulb - 7.5" Long
and either...
- Eyelead Sensor cleaning kit Eyelead Sensor Cleaning Kit SCK-1 Dust-sticking Bar & Cleaning Papers| MaxSaver.Net (hvStar)
..OR..
- Pentax equivalent of the above 39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1
Thanks for the great links. The sensor seems to be clean.
Used PhotoME to check the shutter number, it's number 3!! yay~
still not so used to the button functions, as got used to Panasonic LX-2's easy to tweak functions, need some time for this.

Flipbac mirror: wow, 1st time seen this mirror, great when your screen doesnt swivel/tilt...

SD card: I'm using the Kingston Class 6 card bought few years ago together with my LX2, shot a 20sec video, seems to be alright.

Bag: I'll look slowly for some, last time found some cute Japanese pouches for K-x.

Now some problem with taking sharp photos, not sure where the problem is though....might need some help here

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Ps; did you buy it in Melbourne?
Yes I did! Elizabeth JBHifi. Melbourne Pentax mates!
03-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

New K-R has arrived. The male flap closure on the box has been opened and closed a few times (or more). Several items in the box are in plastic bags that are less than pristine and are not taped closed. It took only 2 hours to fully charge the battery. But, everything looks "new" and the shutter count on my first photo is "1". So, is this for sure a new camera, or is it possible the shutter counter has been reset? Can that be done? If it can be done, is it something the retailer could pull off, or does it require more sophistication?
03-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bgmanne Quote
New K-R has arrived. The male flap closure on the box has been opened and closed a few times (or more). Several items in the box are in plastic bags that are less than pristine and are not taped closed. It took only 2 hours to fully charge the battery. But, everything looks "new" and the shutter count on my first photo is "1". So, is this for sure a new camera, or is it possible the shutter counter has been reset? Can that be done? If it can be done, is it something the retailer could pull off, or does it require more sophistication?
That count number "1" of your first pic is a bit suspicious, your 1st should normally result in number 2 (in PhotoMe).

Anyway, if it were sent in for refurbish (after return for refund) it should be repacked to factory standards, that means perfect and neat boxing (ie. new).
Otoh; A Repaired unit for a customer/owner is a vague possible, that would re-utilise the same s/h box and packaging matl. And then the customer would have to immediately return it to the dealer for 'change of mind' refund claim, before reusing it. And then the dealer to resell as a 'brand new unit'. Seedy but not uncommon.

In both cases it might have been reset if sent to a genuine (authorised) Pentax service centre; a normal retailer or camera warehouse couldn't do that. (unless there is a service hack that they know, and hasn't leaked)
So I'd say either preowned-refurbed, or simply just been unpacked and mauled in a store - probably for hands on "feel" sales demo without fitting a battery so that the camera couldn't be fired off.
That's a common method to allow customers to "stroke the cute new puppy so they'll fall in love with it", usual coercion and manipulation tactics to get some people to part with money.

Not a huge drama I suppose, so long as everything else works OK.
The important thing now is to do a thorough sensor test, odds are that it could be dirty and require proper cleaning to get the best out of it and produce the impeccable images a (clean) K-r capable of. So well worth the small trouble IMhO, plus you gain worthwhile care and valuable ongoing maintenance experience. Like good women, DSLRs respond best to regular TLC.

Good luck, you are now part of the exclusive K-r clique.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-27-2011 at 03:43 AM.
03-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #8

Thanks.

In a brand new K-R box, should every plastic bag without a zip closure, be TAPED closed, or could some just be folded over?

Also, the manual suggests the first battery charge will take up to 4 hours. Could it take as little as 2? Or, if the battery fully charged in just under 2 hours, was it already about 1/2 charged - not brand new?

03-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks.

In a brand new K-R box, should every plastic bag without a zip closure, be TAPED closed, or could some just be folded over?

Also, the manual suggests the first battery charge will take up to 4 hours. Could it take as little as 2? Or, if the battery fully charged in just under 2 hours, was it already about 1/2 charged - not brand new?
1. IIRC some are taped and some might be folded. (Sorry can't check, mine all went to recycling soon after I got it.)

2. I honestly can't say, my stupid K-r supplied charger doesn't seem to give proper indication when it's finished and fully charged. But on testing with multimeter, a change from near full drain takes at least 4-6 hours.
For such an important accessory, it's so cheap cheap cheap. (typical Pentax)

I have other low cost chargers (eg. generic supermarket 'junk', phones/other camera chargers) that are fitted with the usual necessary informative LED indicators that actually work, and their general build qlty seems more robust and safe befitting of an electrical appliance too.

.R.
03-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #10

Additional information items:

PhotoMe says the manufacture date is October 27, 2010, which seems pretty old for a high volume retailer like Abe....

PhotoMe say "serviced bit not set (Value: 2?)" for the "camera has been serviced" line.

Finally, the serial number on the camera body begins 387 (which I assume is consistent with an October 27 manufacture date).

Thoughts on keep it until a problem is proven or return it now before I click off additional exposures (so to speak)?
03-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
my cam's serial number is 387x too...and manufacture date is 2010-11-09 from PhotoME.
03-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Additional information items:

PhotoMe says the manufacture date is October 27, 2010, which seems pretty old for a high volume retailer like Abe....

PhotoMe say "serviced bit not set (Value: 2?)" for the "camera has been serviced" line.

Finally, the serial number on the camera body begins 387 (which I assume is consistent with an October 27 manufacture date).

Thoughts on keep it until a problem is proven or return it now before I click off additional exposures (so to speak)?
Internal acknowledgement of any Servicing could not be guaranteed I'm afraid (the idiots who serviced my car last time didn't even fill in the Log books properly either, ).
And consider that if a shutter count number could be reset (unconfirmed, so that's only speculation really), then likewise the service bit parameter, or even a mfgr date could be "undone" too. Realistically, while interesting, some of the info in there needs to taken with a grain of salt, unfortunately.

For reasons that I won't bore you with mfgr date doesn't conveniently correlate to serial numbers (if you really think it does I suspect you probably haven't spent 40yrs in volume mfgr industry like I have. ).

Still, you should consider putting your S/N & details in the resident database.
Pentax K-r Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Check mine out while you're there # 3894260. Plus some more 'history' of it here...
Dirty Sensor #1 - brand new Pentax K-r [@ f/40] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last, if the new camera you have has no obvious physical faults then why not stick by it? Sure it will definitely have that known Front focus issue but that isn't the end of the world (for most people's needs), and you could do a lot worse with another brand or model.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yanzhi0714 Quote
Thanks for the great links. The sensor seems to be clean.
Used PhotoME to check the shutter number, it's number 3!! yay~
still not so used to the button functions, as got used to Panasonic LX-2's easy to tweak functions, need some time for this.

Flipbac mirror: wow, 1st time seen this mirror, great when your screen doesnt swivel/tilt...

SD card: I'm using the Kingston Class 6 card bought few years ago together with my LX2, shot a 20sec video, seems to be alright.

Bag: I'll look slowly for some, last time found some cute Japanese pouches for K-x.

Now some problem with taking sharp photos, not sure where the problem is though....might need some help here

Yes I did! Elizabeth JBHifi. Melbourne Pentax mates!
You may want to increase the sharpness in your custom image menus. I have mine set at fine sharpness and highest bar level. I have taken several pictures that need little or no enhancement at all.
03-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #14

QuoteQuote:
Last, if the new camera you have has no obvious physical faults then why not stick by it? Sure it will definitely have that known Front focus issue but that isn't the end of the world (for most people's needs), and you could do a lot worse with another brand or model.
I have not done any indoor tungsten shooting, but am getting out of focus shots in full outdoor light. I am just not comfortable with it.

The real reason for my return to this thread, however, is to give props to Abe's of Maine. My email to customer service received a prompt response from the customer relations manager, who apologized and offered me the option of refund or exchange. I indicated willingness to exchange, but expressed concern for their now being out of stock. He checked their order status, confirmed they will have new stock within the next two weeks, and invited me to keep what I have in the interim, with them paying all shipping on the exchange when the new stock arrives. When I indicated that, having now played a bit with the K-R and my FA lenses, I was interested in adding a DA 35 f/2.8 AL, but that the total cost of buying from them exceeded the package price from B&H and Adorama, he did not hesitate to make up the difference. I can't think of anything more they could reasonably be expected to do. Total lemonade!
04-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David T Quote
You may want to increase the sharpness in your custom image menus. I have mine set at fine sharpness and highest bar level. I have taken several pictures that need little or no enhancement at all.

Thanks. seems that maybe is problem with my eye's compability with the diopter as well. I tried sliding it but seems that at the right most position, I still not able to see it tack sharp, even with my nearsighted glasses on (roughly around -2.00 diopter).

Maybe I should just go out and take more photos.