Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

New K-r with Dead LCD Pixel

I caved last week and ordered myself a new K-r. It's here, and it's quite a nice beauty, but I've noticed that it has a single dead pixel on the LCD screen. I assumed it was dust and ran the removal but after taking a picture of a piece of paper and viewing the image on my computer it's most definitely the screen.

I'll be contacting the vendor on Monday, but the research I've done leads me to believe that a single dead pixel is not necessarily considered a defect. True/false? Now that I've noticed it, I probably always will, though someone else flipping through my images would likely never see the problem, and it doesn't affect the images.

Is this something that is common? Will it affect my resale value, if it doesn't get replaced?

Thanks!

03-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Correct, dead pixels aren't considered a defect. My K-5 has a single one as well, as does my laptop. They said they'd replace it, but it'd be a dice roll as to whether or not the replacement would have any. They don't annoy me one bit any more, so I decided to let it go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. That is my fear, actually...the current pixel is in the upper right quadrant but in a spot that isn't visible when accessing the menu or settings. It could be worse. Good to know that this is normal.
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most manufacturers will yawn at the issue if it is less than a certain number of pixels in total, such as 6 or 10, or a cluster of 3 or more.

I would suffer through, as should the next buyer when you sell it.

03-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
Forum Member

Shop where I got my Nokia some time ago said they will replace it if I got more than 5 dead pixels :P Unfortunately I only had 1
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

What about a dead pixel on the CMOS sensor? I have one.
11-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are just about as common, unfortunately. Your camera even has a "pixel mapping" feature built-in to try to suppress any hot or dead pixels.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: