Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #1

Underexposure?

Hello,

New to the Pentax forums and a new K-r owner =)

I have a question regarding the exposure of my shots. I am currently shooting in Raw mode and when I shoot my shots they show up perfectly fine in the LCD on the camera but when I import them to Lightroom, they all tend to show up underexposed and I generally have to fix them before exporting as a jpg. Is there anything wrong with this or should I be adjusting something on my camera?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Edit* Below are how they look in Lightroom and how they look in my Camera:

Last edited by spidey; 03-27-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: additional images
03-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
you have to set correctly your PC screen too. what you see depend on it too !

you know, you can set a lot of thing on PC monitor, this may come from it too.
03-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO the top shot looks better, the bottom shot looses its contrast detail on top of the leafs. At least on my monitor it does. I believe you can setup base adjustment profiles for batch converting in some programs.
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What you see on your LCD is the JPEG (even when shooting RAW only). RAW images always require some PP. Open your RAW files with the software that came with your camera and simply convert it to JPEG (with the "Save As" selection from your menus) and you should get exactly what you saw on the LCD.

03-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

i think the 1st one looks better on my newer samsung screen but i use 2 screens and the other one is kind of older and has got alot darker over time so i always make sure i look at pics on the new screen.
03-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The top photo above looks best.

First thing is make sure your computer monitor is adjusted correctly. You can use software and hardware to do it, but an easy way is look at a couple threads of photos or galleries here to see if they look correctly exposed.
03-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #7

i saw this months ago, when the first dng samples of k-r came out, i opened with lightroom, wich at that time did not suported it, all the pictures looks underexposed about 1 stop, now all look almost the same in lightroom and DCU

maybe you should try update your lightroom
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree with the top pic looking best/properly exposed. I have noticed the same thing on my K-x and briefly mentioned it in my post. Proper solution is, and something I need to do more myself, to rely much more on the histogram.

03-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
I am using a older 20" samsumg on "text" setting so it does show a little bit darker. I only change the setting to brighter when I gaming. I will look into doing all the recommendations beginning with a Lightroom update. I'm currently using 3.0 and will be updating to 3.3 to see how that goes.

Asides from my exposure issue all my images are coming out spectacular (imo at least). Feel free to check out my Flickr stream @ Flickr: cia_spidey's Photostream and give me some critique! (If this is the appropriate place to ask for critique that is)