Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need convincing

I just came into some extra money. About $700. Before and several times now, I've considered the K-x but after the K-R came out, I've about decided to go with this one. Is there anything I should absolutely know about before buying this camera?

I know I need an adapter to use my Eneloops, however, as little as I shoot I think the supplied battery will be enough for a few months.

And does anyone own a red or white one? Every camera I've ever had was either chrome/black or black.

My K100D is needing some repair, and I've been wanting to update/upgrade for awhile now, this windfall will allow me to do that now.

How's the noise level in high ISO on this camera?

About decided as it is, just need those questions answered and after you answer me, I'll probably order it tomorrow.

03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

I've considered the K-x but after the K-R came out, I've about decided to go with this one. Is there anything I should absolutely know about before buying this camera?
I think you would get a far more profound and balanced overview to your common Qs, and to even more important matters about it that you haven't even though of, if you were to scan some of the countless discussion topics on here that have already dissected the K-r in a thousand and one different ways.

The Internal Forum Search function works wonderful.

.R. -- I really meant to say a million and one but it's my day to lie.
03-28-2011, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #3

Hypocorism makes a great point. If you really want extensive insight....just peruse this forum and other places (including professional reviews on other sites) to get the info requested. There's nothing like getting a sense of what might be a consensus on various questions by obtaining views anecdotally by the users and seeing how that jives with the "pros". If you only take info from one source it could be skewed in one direction. That being said of course, it could lead you to be even more confused if there is no clear consensus on a particular point. From the looks of your questions, however......they should be relatively objectively answered.

So in lieu of you wanting to spend that much time perusing (sounds like you're ready to order!)......I can give you my insights based on a lot of that research I did before ordering mine (still on the way):

Battery - depending on the user there is a range of shots per charge with the supplied lithium stick.....anywhere from around 100 - 600. The average seems to be close to the 400-500 range, again depending on usage habits like flash, live view, RAW, burst modes, etc. One thing several people mentioned was the need for charging it several times to get the full capacity.

Color - Did not order a red or a white one. But from what I have seen the red is a deeper, less orange/red color than the K-x version (some call it fire engine red). And the "Stormtrooper White" is supposed to be whiter than the somewhat off white of the K-x. Though I can't actually vouch for those impressions.....someone else can surely give you more input.

Noise in high ISO - Since the sensor is ostensibly the same as the K-x (minor "improvements"), the results in high ISO are very close to the same as you would expect. Some have stated the K-r is better in practical usage, though from what I've seen in comparison samples there is a slight advantage for the K-x. Either way it's minimal difference. Up to 1600 supposed to be very clean, from 3200 to 6400.....some noise but quite usable. From 12,800 to 25,600, details are compromised (smearing), chroma noise begins to show, and it's debatable as to whether you would want to use those settings unless the only way to get the shot. For what that's worth, "usable" in this context is highly subjective depending on your personal standards!

In my mind, if you're not paying a big difference between the two cameras.....then the other features would warrant buying the K-r (bigger and better LCD, faster AF (esp. in live view), AF points in viewfinder, hybrid power source, improved HDR, higher FPS, per shot RAW option from JPEG). If the price is more closely resembling the original difference between the opening list price of the K-r (but if it is, look around!) and the K-x now.....and if image quality is your primary motivation, then the K-x might be a better option because of the value.

Hope this helps.
03-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
I think you would get a far more profound and balanced overview to your common Qs, and to even more important matters about it that you haven't even though of, if you were to scan some of the countless discussion topics on here that have already dissected the K-r in a thousand and one different ways.
Oh, but I did do that before I decided I wanted to ask my own questions, as I didn't really find the answers I was looking for to further my knowledge on this camera. Reviews are not on a personal level. And I know how this search engine works on PF, iffy sometimes as to which answer or threads will pop up.

ccd, thank you. You've covered what I needed to know. On the K-x, buying one, I can't seem to find one on the main sites as new. I found one used in LN- condition on another place I order from, but I was wanting new. I've not had a brand new camera for 11 years.

Just so you know, my favorite color is black. I was asking about the other colors; mainly, the white because when the K-x came out in that color, there was mention that it might interfere with light balance. I never heard anymore about that so I wasn't sure it was really an issue or just wild thinking on someone's part.

But if image quality is better on the k-x perhaps that's the one I should get. Differece in price between the two, one new, one slightly used, is about $200. Amazon has a new k-x for about the same price as a new K-r. And I don't do ebay. Anyway, as an impulse buyer, the K-r keeps drawing me in, but sensibility will probably prevail and I'll end up buying the K-x. Either would be a great difference of my K100D (my first DSLR also).

Since both do well at higher ISO's it might be wiser to just get the slightly used K-x. I don't do live view, I like viewfinders, and I always shoot RAW with my K100D. My K100D has an issue with higher ISOs, at ISO800 it is very noisy. I shoot in the shade a lot and having a camera that would shoot at 800 or higher without noise would be excellent.

Thanks again ccd, I'm going to up your reputation points also because your answers helped me a lot.

03-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

Thanks again ccd, I'm going to up your reputation points also because your answers helped me a lot.
Well, I accept your flattering vote of confidence......with a caveat for some subjectivity within the framework of my answers!

Esp. with the K-x having better IQ. If so, it is very marginal.
03-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-x will be hard to find new as it's been superseded for a couple of months now, but keep on the lookout and you may be surprised. Even some of the bricks and mortar retailers may have one waiting for you to pick up.

The K-x is a fine little camera, but so is the K-r, and you'll certainly be blown away by its relative speed and increased versatility over the K100D. One point I'll add to vouch for the K-r over the K-x is the usefulness of the AF point illumination in the K-r, which is absent in the K-x. If you're used to it on the K100D, you may miss it if you go with the K-x.
03-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccd333 Quote
with a caveat for some subjectivity within the framework of my answers!
It helped me. So, whatever you think it's still more help than some answers I got.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
One point I'll add to vouch for the K-r over the K-x is the usefulness of the AF point illumination in the K-r, which is absent in the K-x. If you're used to it on the K100D, you may miss it if you go with the K-x.
Ash, I never really pay attention to that little red square.

My sensible self has taken over today and I can't justify spending $600 on one camera now. I've thought about it more and also called KEH, they will sell me the one K-x I saw for the same price as the one on Amazon, which is almost $30 less. And now that I've come to my senses, I really don't care that it is in LN- condition. My K100D was outdated by four years and was in EX condition.
03-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beach Camera has the K-x + 18-55mm + 55-300mm for $680 shipped. You can easily sell the lenses on PF for $220-240... The 55-300 usually goes for $200, while the 18-55 sells for $45-50.

03-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After ordering the parts needed for my brother's new computer, I came out quite a bit short of $700 I had originally supposed to have. So, I'm ordering the one from KEH today instead of the newer model or the K-r. Also, KEH has a 60 day warranty and I can get an extended warranty also.

Thanks everyone for your help and for answering questions that might have already been asked by others (though I didn't find the ones in a search here).