Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

I Love my K-r

I have had my K-r for three weeks shooting in all kinds of light with no unusual focus problems at all. I have used several lenses, including Sigma 50-500 EX DG, Pentax 55-300, Pentax 80-320, Pentax 16-45, Pentax 35-70 F 3.5-4.5, and pentax 50-135. Have yet to try my others. The other day I got some really good shots with the 50-500 hand held. Absolutely no auto focus issues. I almost always use the view finder. My settings I use, 70% of the time are aperture priority mode, 20% manual mode, and 10% others. I bought this camera as a low light backup to my K20, but I find myself using the K-r more than I thought I would. Bottom line? Much better camera than it seems to be getting credit for on this forum. I have posted a similar input adding to two other conversations, but I really would like some positive and constructive responses. Also, is it possible that some changes to the cameras have been made along the way? My serial number starts with 3866xxx but I don't know when the camera was manufactured.

04-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm enjoying mine a lot as well. I wish I had the lens collection you do! I'm just using the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses. However, it's been a lot of fun - I'm new to dSLR. I have only noticed the FF problem on one or two shots, but it does appear to be there. I've been focusing on the stuff that does work well while we wait for a fix. And most of the camera works extremely well!

What I have noticed is that this is a very expensive "hobby". But also quite rewarding.
04-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David T Quote
I have had my K-r for three weeks shooting in all kinds of light with no unusual focus problems at all. I have used several lenses, including Sigma 50-500 EX DG, Pentax 55-300, Pentax 80-320, Pentax 16-45, Pentax 35-70 F 3.5-4.5, and pentax 50-135. Have yet to try my others. The other day I got some really good shots with the 50-500 hand held. Absolutely no auto focus issues. I almost always use the view finder. My settings I use, 70% of the time are aperture priority mode, 20% manual mode, and 10% others. I bought this camera as a low light backup to my K20, but I find myself using the K-r more than I thought I would. Bottom line? Much better camera than it seems to be getting credit for on this forum. I have posted a similar input adding to two other conversations, but I really would like some positive and constructive responses. Also, is it possible that some changes to the cameras have been made along the way? My serial number starts with 3866xxx but I don't know when the camera was manufactured.
David,
Have you noticed the tendency to clip highlights to the point of no recovery, even in the RAW?
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
David,
Have you noticed the tendency to clip highlights to the point of no recovery, even in the RAW?
Sorry for hijacking this, but are you using DCU4?
Because last week i tested some raw and with lightroom i had recovery a lot more than DCU, in fact using DCU create some kind of posterization if pushed too hard, not the case with lightroom

04-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #5

I have used my K-R for a month now (only indoor due to a broken leg) and have so for not expirience any FF problems. I am very satisfied with the camera which replaced a K-X.

The lenses used is the 18-55 kit lens, a Tamron 18-200 and a Pentax M 50 1,7.
Then using the manual lens i use the camera focus hexagon for adjusting the focus and it seems to give succes every time - even when shooting wide open.

Serial no starts with 3891xxx
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #6

I'm new to the DSLR and chose the K-R as my final decision after a careful look at all cameras in this price range. I'm confident I made the right decision. My point and shoot had worse focusing problems than this camera and it doesn't bother me. I actually find using the manual focus for shooting stationary objects more rewarding than simply pushing a button. Then again, I'm using the Live View 99% of the time. Love it!
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

i love my k-r its awesome
04-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
David,
MP29K,
I have not had the highlight problems you mention, at least that I am aware of. I almost always shoot in RAW, but in testing jpeg I was not disappointed. As I have been getting aquanted with my K-r, I have made several menu changes which have made for very pleasing results.