Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I keep having to go back and do the spin thing about once a week. I think I am sending mine in, as I shouldn't have to keep doing this. Murphy's law says this will finally break for good the day after warranty expires. Hate the thought of sending this away for a month.

05-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Hate the thought of sending this away for a month
Man....tell me about it hey. I chose the wrong time to send it back too. Easter holiday and other national holidays is like adding an extra 5 days on an already vague "upto 30 days" turn around.
05-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Sent in ours for faulty e-dial too. Cheap assembling?
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Mine too :(

I purchased the camera about a month ago and at first the "Ok" button kept acting up for a while and then the e-dial became really bad. I did the spin thing for about 5 minutes and the camera worked for a couple of weeks without a problem. Then suddenly just when I was all set to get some awesome moon shots, the dial just died. It increased values no matter what direction I turned it in.

I had two options: either return within the 30 day period or ask Pentax to fix it. I chose the latter fearing that this might be a very common kind of problem after looking at this thread. I kind of regret getting the K-r now Really didn't expect such shoddy work from Pentax. I love the old manual lenses I have though :/

I might just upgrade in a few years to a better built Pentax body.

06-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #35

I am having the same problem with my K-r's E Dial. Also made the mistake of sending the Camera in for Repair during the Easter week. After a lot of back and forth, it was decided that they can't fix my camera, but would replace it with a new one. The store which I bought it from wanted to give me their remaining K-r for the replacement. It also did not work. Then today they were supposed to send me a K-x as a temp replacement, but instead they sent me a K-r as a surprise! They had just gotten it in and wanted to give me that instead of the K-x. I opened the box, with the courier beside me, tested it. Same thing. Sent it back. I am now trying to figure out wth I'm going to do. Sigh. Don't know wth Pentax did with the K-r, our K20d is such a wonderful camera...

Btw, as reference for those that visit this site my problem was due to the E Dial of the Pentax K-r not working correctly. No matter which direction you turned it, it would just increase the value of the parameter you were trying to adjust (Shutter speed, Aperture, Zoom etc)
06-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xtrearer Quote
I am having the same problem with my K-r's E Dial. Also made the mistake of sending the Camera in for Repair during the Easter week. After a lot of back and forth, it was decided that they can't fix my camera, but would replace it with a new one. The store which I bought it from wanted to give me their remaining K-r for the replacement. It also did not work. Then today they were supposed to send me a K-x as a temp replacement, but instead they sent me a K-r as a surprise! They had just gotten it in and wanted to give me that instead of the K-x. I opened the box, with the courier beside me, tested it. Same thing. Sent it back. I am now trying to figure out wth I'm going to do. Sigh. Don't know wth Pentax did with the K-r, our K20d is such a wonderful camera...

Btw, as reference for those that visit this site my problem was due to the E Dial of the Pentax K-r not working correctly. No matter which direction you turned it, it would just increase the value of the parameter you were trying to adjust (Shutter speed, Aperture, Zoom etc)
Am I understanding correctly? You tried two brand new K-r's and, out of the box, the e-dial didn't work? That is weird. I had thought the problem was one that happened over time or due to use.

*Knock wood* so far mine has been OK.
06-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #37
Forum Member

I have had this issue as well, sent it in for repair, will let you know when i get it back
06-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

According to the other thread:

QuoteQuote:
This bug is caused by a lubricant inside the wheel mechanism. Silicon oil is a dielectric. It's intended to make wheel rotating smooth, but it covers contacts of sensor inside the e-dial and prevents it from normal functioning.
Which makes perfect sense, really. Rotating the dial for 5 minutes solid will disperse some of that extra lubricant, but if there's still too much in there it will gradually spread to the contacts again. I'm not saying this is all 100% correct, but it's very logical, and sounds easy to fix.

A potential problem I see with sending it in for this, is if the person servicing your camera is clueless, they might actually add more lubricant thinking it would help.... Here's hoping that's not an issue though.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 06-11-2011 at 11:39 PM.
06-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #39
Forum Member

The service tech at my store told me that it was the lubricant as well and to further add, he told me that it could attract dust to it as well thus further reducing the contact.

On my service note, it said they replaced the whole e dial unit/chip bit.
06-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #40

I kid you not. They even tested a third one in store, and the guy let me know that it was the same problem...
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #41

My camera suffer that too, but just a little
last week i sold my da40, so i meet with the buyer to test the lens and guess what, his k-r also had the same problem, but much worse
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I mentioned this in a previous thread about this problem, go buy a aerosol can of electrical terminal spray, give a good spray on the E-dial and spin it, the problem will go away, for how long depend on your camera and the amout of grease still there from the factory.
I had the same problem on my K-r but eventyually after afew sprays the problem stopped.
06-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #43
Forum Member

After being busy for a few weeks now, i finally decided to take some time off and shoot, especially since it's Word Pentax Day. Guess what, my k-r's edial started acting up. I noticed it when I was zooming in while viewing the photos. It would zoom in and then suddenly zoom out when turning the edial to the right. I'll try the turning fix and see if it works. Then maybe the electrical contact spray. If that doesn't work, I'm sort of screwed cause I'm in the Philippines. Don't know if there is a service center here or whether the camera would be covered by warranty since I purchased it in the US.
06-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Don,t mess around get the spray, the reason I found out was vi a a tech at Pentax repair centre in the UK who let slip about the dialetic grease problem at the Pentax assembly line.

Dielectric greaseDielectric grease is a nonconductive grease. As such, it does not enhance the flow of electrical current. Thus electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. Dielectric grease is, however, often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector.
The widest use of dielectric grease is in high-voltage connections associated with spark plugs. The grease is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. This helps the rubber boot slide onto the ceramic insulator of the plug. The grease also acts to seal the rubber boot, while at the same time preventing the rubber from becoming stuck to the ceramic. Generally spark plugs are located in areas of high temperature, and the grease is formulated to withstand the temperature range expected.

Another common use of dielectric grease is on the rubber mating surfaces or gaskets of multi-pin electrical connectors used in automotive and marine engines. The grease again acts as a lubricant and a sealant on the nonconductive mating surfaces of the connector. It is not recommended to be applied to the actual electrical conductive contacts of the connector because it could interfere with the electrical signals passing through the connector.
06-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
How much time?

For those in US who sent their camera in for servicing: How long did the whole process take? When I called them to give me an ETA, the guy wasn't very helpful and just said that "averaging servicing time is 3 weeks". I have a bunch of trips planned out and so knowing when the camera's going to show up is a bit important for me now. Is there any way of getting a real time estimate or making them hurry up a little? 3 weeks seems really long for such a problem.