Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #46
Veteran Member

3 weeks to a month is in line with every post I've seen on the subject. I think this would be easier to fix yourself though, if the E-dial is the only problem. If you need them to recalibrate/service it for the front focus issue as well, you'd have to send it in.

06-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #47
Inactive Account

I have the same problem, plus flash problem plus focus problem! the K-R bad camera! think before you purchase an K.-R
06-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be tracking how my warranty repair works out. I too tried the tempoary "spin fix" but to no avail. If it is just a spot of grease on the contacts as some are saying here, I'm wondering why it takes 15 - 20 working days for Pentax to "fix" it. I'll report back when I get my K-r back. For the record, I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting.
06-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Any advice as to a brand name / product code for the electrical terminal spray?

06-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #50

I can confirm that the dab of electrical spray does wonders. Now if I could only figure out how to brighten up the viewfinder info bar, I'd have a perfect camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ombre2 Quote
I used Kontakt PPC cleaner from Kontakt Chemie. It was the only contact spray I had. I tested it on a burned out circuit board before hand to make sure it does indeed vaporize without trace should it not work.

Last edited by Vincenc; 06-28-2011 at 10:13 PM.
06-29-2011, 02:00 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ombre2 Quote
sorry in the US of A I have no idea but a quick google search found this

Type FD® Fast Drying Electrical Contact Cleaner -- A Powerful Aerosol with Quick Evaporation that Cleans Cables, Contacts, Circuit Boards, Controls, Relays, Switches, Electronic Equipment, Parts, Tools, and other Industrial Maintenance Items.

they seem to sell all over perhaps contact them for a local outlet it's the correct stuff handy for all sorts of things.
hope it helps
Alistair
06-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #52

The contact cleaner worked for my K100D.

I saw this guys webpage . . . How To Fix Pentax ist* DS, D and decided to try to get the jog dial working on my K100D.

I was paranoid so I removed the batteries and let the camera sit a bit before spraying the contact cleaner, to try to reduce the chance of something shorting out.

6 months later and the jog dial is working like a charm.

Take care,
Glen
07-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #53

Kindly Suggest a Way

I got a Pentax K-r ordered from the US, in December and i got a superb deal on it. Got my hands on it in Jan and my oh my wasn't i happy. It is my first DSLR after all

But it all came crashing down.

My E-dial stopped working.....i mean..it just jumps and goes ahead. the shutter speed goes higher and higher so does the f stop....so basically i have stopped shooting in anything else but AUTO and P mode.

Since am in India, and the warranty doesnt work out here...i have no idea wat to do with it. I went through almost all the posts in threads related to this.

tried the repeated rotation of the dial, and rotated it for a good 15 minutes. the situation improved but not much.

i really dont wanna take the risk of opening the body up myself or spray any aerosols into it.

Would appreciate it a hell lot if someone who has had a similiar experience in a country without Pentax or someone from India, help me with this.

Thanks and looking for some suggestions

07-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Got my Kr back from waaranty repairs just before the long weekend. So far, I'm VERY pleased with e-dial performance. it's like a new camera. ----- Keep you posted .......
07-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #55

Bought my K-r last week and got no problems with the e-dial yet
07-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #56
Forum Member

My e-dial just stopped working! Aaargh! Same symptoms as others... moving it one way increases the value, moving it the other way increases it more and it jumps around erratically.

I noticed that on the Pentax website there are a number of authorized repair centers around the country, one is United Camera and Binocular Repair in Bensenville, IL. I will actually be up near there in a couple weeks but am wondering if there is any difference in sending this in to Pentax vs. dropping it off at a service center. My only thought was to save postage and not have to pack it up and all. Thoughts or experience with United Camera or using an authorized service center vs. sending it in to Pentax?
07-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #57

Photos: Gallery
Pulled the trigger, bought a KR body today, straight out of the box, e-dial jumping around!!! Geez, whatever happened to QC?

Anyway, lucky to have some contact cleaning spray on hand and this solution works. A few squirts into the gaps around the wheel, worked it left to right and immediately could feel that it was ratcheting more firmly. So far problem has stayed away.

I see the camera is assembled in the Philipines - I wonder if that has something to do with this problem.
07-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #58
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It's back!

I got my camera within 15 days of Pentax US service center receiving it. It was perfect and very well cleaned out when I got it. It seems to work perfectly now The service center even updated the firmware for me!
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #59
Forum Member

Can someone point me to where to get some of this spray? Tried turning the wheel constantly and it didn't work.
07-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Can someone point me to where to get some of this spray? Tried turning the wheel constantly and it didn't work.
Radio Shack?