Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Can someone point me to where to get some of this spray? Tried turning the wheel constantly and it didn't work.
you don't say where you live but I gave a USA link to a supplier 2-3 pages back.
UK Maplins

07-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #62
Forum Member

Sorry, I'm in the U.S. Illinois to be precise.
07-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #63

If you are having issues with your e-dial: this is the way to fix the issue:

Buy contact cleaner spray (costs around 5 bucks), and spray it on the e-dial. Spin it around for a few minutes and let it dry. I had this problem on my K-r and now it works OK! Seriously all there is to it! No need to send it in
07-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #64

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Retsiger Quote
The temporary "spin-fix" also relieved my K-r's problems, however it did not the first time this happened. I'm a little concerned seeing as this is the second time it's happened to my K-r, and happened again AFTER I had already sent it in under warranty to get it repaired. At least the spinning worked for now though!
since i got my k-r edial is the issue.after a long google search i found this and
IT WORKED!!

07-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #65
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Died again :/

Hmm the dial got silly again after working fine for a couple of weeks of getting back from the service center. I finally bought an electronic contact cleaner spray from Walmart (this brand: Amazon.com: CRC Industries Inc. 05103 Electronic Cleaner: Automotive) and sprayed the hell out of the dial. It's working now.

I'm leaving for a vacation tomorrow and I'm afraid it'll do something stupid again :/ This silly problems makes the camera feel like a total piece of crap
07-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I think it'd be wise to go real easy on the spray. You don't want enough in there to leak into other parts of the camera. That said, take the spray with you. I haven't heard of anyone needing to spray it more than once, but you'd be prepared.
07-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #67
Inactive Account

Thanks, I'll be more careful next time. I made short bursts on the dial edge and turned it. I think I exaggerated when I said "sprayed the hell out of the dial". Since it's still working, I guess I haven't screwed up anything. But yes, you are right. I should be careful with this stuff.

As for the spray: I'm travelling out of US and will be doing all sorts of crazy stuff for a week in 80-90F and humid weather. I don't really want to carry around the giant can of highly flammable spray with me. Can I even check it in with my luggage on a flight?!?

This is my first DSLR and I've been planning this trip for a long long time. I would be very disappointed if my camera died on the trip
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I figured you meant a small canister of it, so yeah, a great big one would be problematic (especially if you're dealing with US security theater).

As I mentioned in the other thread, try rotating the dial for 5-10 min in each direction, and give it another little squirt if absolutely needed. The problem is caused by a bit too much lubricant being applied to the dial during assembly, but once you work it clear of the contacts (which the spray helps with by dissolving it) it *should* be OK from then on.

07-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #69
Forum Member

Hey, a $4.97 can of electrical contact cleaner (in the automotive section at the Wal-Mart for anyone needing to find this) was mine at 4:45 p.m., and just one small squirt of the stuff on the e-dial and a few turns at 7:15 p.m. has my camera back in perfect working order! Thanks for the tips, everyone! I appreciate how easy this was. Now I need to find more electronics to clean because I've probably only used 1/1,000 of the content of this can.
07-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Down under in Australia, go to Dick Smith Electronics and buy a can of CRC CO Contact Cleaner, and just give the E-Dial about a 1/4 sec. spray, and your dial will be fixed.

Cheers.
07-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Just got back from my week long vacation and the camera worked perfectly throughout. It was extremely hot 90-100F and humid (right next to the sea most of the time), but the post spray e-dial had no issues whatsoever I think people shouldn't even bother shipping it to Pentax for service and just get a small can of contact cleaner spray and live happily ever after.
07-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Glad to hear it! Post a few pics?

I still haven't had any trouble with the e-dial, a month in now so I suspect if I'm going to it will be anytime. I'm ready for the possibility thanks to this forum/thread though. Definitely seems to be a self-fixable issue.
07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm now experiencing this problem as well. I want to use contact cleaner to try to fix it, but I'm not sure about the risk. Just how high is the risk of damage? What brand cleaner should use? (I'm looking at CRC QD.)

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-24-2011 at 06:23 PM.
07-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #74
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I'm now experiencing this problem as well. I want to use contact cleaner to try to fix it, but I'm not sure about the risk. Just how high is the risk of damage? What brand cleaner should use? (I'm looking at CRC QD.)

--DragonLord
It should be fine, it is safe with plastics, and leaves no residue.
Just use very short burst of spray, while rotating the dial.

My CRC spray advised removing the battery first, and waiting 30 minutes after spraying before powering up again.

Good luck!
07-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #75

I just wanted to add my voice to this thread. I have also had e-dial issues since i bought my camera in January. I have been a bit depressed about it since it is difficult to get it repaired due to my location.

Luckily! I tried the CRC QD Contact cleaner and now the e-dial works perfectly. It still not one to one click per setting(At least not all the time), not sure if that's how its supposed to be however there is no jumping of settings etc.

Perfect self fix for this problem and an easy one at that.