07-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Read the previous posts
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Kire1984 Quote
If you are having issues with your e-dial: this is the way to fix the issue:

Buy contact cleaner spray (costs around 5 bucks), and spray it on the e-dial. Spin it around for a few minutes and let it dry. I had this problem on my K-r and now it works OK! Seriously all there is to it! No need to send it in
Ok, can anyone that's used the electrical contact cleaner give us a little more info? How do you spray this stuff onto/into the e-dial? You have a minute crack between the top and bottom of the dial, with little spray control, so how where does the spray need to get to and how do you get it there?
08-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Little red straw...

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Ok, can anyone that's used the electrical contact cleaner give us a little more info? How do you spray this stuff onto/into the e-dial? You have a minute crack between the top and bottom of the dial, with little spray control, so how where does the spray need to get to and how do you get it there?
I haven't done this to my camera (yet), - the e-dial seems to be working fine.

The contact cleaner should come with a very small diameter straw that fits in the push top. A squirt at the top and bottom cracks and then a few spins back and forth should clean it all out. Personally I wouldn't use much and I would direct it away from the shutter location while spraying.

08-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #80

I did it two ways. I believe the first time I did not spray enough because the settings started back to jump.

The first time, using the contact cleaner with the red (straw/) attached i sprayed a quick small squirt on either side of the dial where there is space(small hole) . I then rotated it but mainly one way for a few minutes.

The second time i sprayed a squirt on the dial itself and then turned it for a few minutes. It has worked perfectly since then Hope that helps.
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used the contact cleaner a couple times, but it the e-dial kept reverting back to its bad behavior after a few weeks. So I finally took the thing apart to clean the contacts with acohol as recommended elsewhere. What I discovered is that the dial is shaped kind of like a very shallow cup with the electrical contacts on the top. So if you're going to shoot the cleaner into the dial, you would want to shoot it at the TOP edge of the dial. Spraying the bottom or side (as I did) will be less effective, due to the contacts being on top.

BTW, after my alcohol cleaning, the dial was much better, but it had noticeably more friction. So I put some contact clean (which is also a lubricant) in there again. Now it's working pretty much 100% of the clicks unless I spin the dial real fast.

Hope this helps!
08-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #82
Site Supporter

Lubrication

I just used the contact cleaner on my e-dial and it does work, but it feels less smooth when rotating, what other lubricants could i use to smoothen the operation (wd-40??)...any ideas?
08-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #83
Inactive Account

Spraying lubricant will make a huge mess. Please don't even try WD-40. The dial should get better with use else have Pentax take care of it.

08-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I used the contact cleaner a couple times, but it the e-dial kept reverting back to its bad behavior after a few weeks. So I finally took the thing apart to clean the contacts with acohol as recommended elsewhere. What I discovered is that the dial is shaped kind of like a very shallow cup with the electrical contacts on the top. So if you're going to shoot the cleaner into the dial, you would want to shoot it at the TOP edge of the dial. Spraying the bottom or side (as I did) will be less effective, due to the contacts being on top.

BTW, after my alcohol cleaning, the dial was much better, but it had noticeably more friction. So I put some contact clean (which is also a lubricant) in there again. Now it's working pretty much 100% of the clicks unless I spin the dial real fast.

Hope this helps!
But you open the camera ? I used the contact cleaner but not work
08-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #85
Forum Member

i sent my camera to pentax service of U.S from Turkey. it has been away for 2 and half month. i recieved the camera early in the morning in the same condition as i sent for service.
then i took the risk n used the electronic contact cleaner so far working perfectly
08-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #86

I tried the electrical contact cleaner, and it not only didn't work, my camera is now stuck at F/22, 1/6000 and iso of 25000. Spinning the dial does nothing, no matter how much I work it. F*@#! I have something I have to shoot tonight. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to just get back to a slightly non-working camera instead of a fully not working camera?
08-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoZ3 Quote
But you open the camera ? I used the contact cleaner but not work
Yes, to clean the contacts with alcohol, you have to open the camera by unscrewing some screws.
08-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I tried the electrical contact cleaner, and it not only didn't work, my camera is now stuck at F/22, 1/6000 and iso of 25000. Spinning the dial does nothing, no matter how much I work it. F*@#! I have something I have to shoot tonight. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to just get back to a slightly non-working camera instead of a fully not working camera?
If you're confident in your skills, you could try to open the camera and clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol. Also, if you're in a bind with no e-dial, you can adjust ISO with just the 4 way arrow controls and shoot in P mode if you're desperate.
08-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by ablundon Quote
I had the same problem. I sent it to Pentax Service and they fixed it. I haven't had an issue with it since.

AB
Ditto, albeit Pentax Canada
08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #90
Site Supporter

I cleaned my e-dial WITHOUT taking my camera apart, I just tried spraying through the cracks in the body, it worked, but only for a day. I then took it apart as per instructions, and sprayed the living god at it. OK, so its an exaggeration, but i did give it a healthy dose of contact cleaner. It may also help to remove the 2 screws directly above the e-dial and separate but not remove and spray some cleaner in there. I did it to help get more of the cleaner into the e-dial, because as you can see, doesnt give you many gaps to allow the contact cleaner to get directly to the e-dial. After I sprayed, I let it air dry and watched some segments of Tosh.0, came back to the work table and reassembled the camera and voila! it was a good as new. I will update a little bit later to let yous guys know if it reverted back to crap or remained steadfast.