Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #91

To add to the voices here. My e-dial initially was fixed using the contact cleaner. It then reverted to erratic behaviour recently. I continued to spray contact cleaner..more than i did before while turning the wheel. It did not rectify the problem. I then sprayed some more and more on the wheel itself and to the top part of the wheel.. while holding the camera upside down (since someone said the lubricant is more to the top of the dial) and turned the wheel.

It has now reached the point where it is not behaving erratically. It also adjust settings per click now, which it wasn't doing before. There is however when turning, a point where the edial moves three clicks and nothing happens.

There is no erratic movement nor skipping anymore though.. as I said.

08-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #92
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When I first noticed this problem, I tried the spinning method and it fixed it for a while. It has since reverted back and I have tried wetting the edial with isopropyl alcohol (70%) using a lint free cloth. Didn't work. I'll try the contact cleaner and see what happens.
08-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #93

Arg!! Same problem here

I bought my camera back in Feb.
It was fine till last month when I noticed behavior described by others.

"moving it one way increases the value, moving it the other way increases it more and it jumps around erratically. "

I will try contact cleaner trick first before sending unit to Pentax.

I am disappointed in this camera for 2 reasons (I have Pentax isT DL also).
1) e-Dial problem.
2) viewfinder bottom information display is very dim (not bright like Nikon or Canon).

Robert
08-18-2011, 04:29 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robertzanzerkia Quote
2) viewfinder bottom information display is very dim (not bright like Nikon or Canon).
This is one of my few gripes about the K-r, too. It's too dim, and too far below the field of view.

08-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #95

i think it's fixed...

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
This is one of my few gripes about the K-r, too. It's too dim, and too far below the field of view.
Yes it's my gripe too. I have older Pentax iST-DL and I thought after 5 years they would have fixed the design to address this issue. I bought new one K-r without checking about and see that it's same as old camera....

Few squirt of electric contact cleaner seem to have fixed my e-Dial issue.
Let's see how long it lasts...

Robert
08-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #96

i think it's fixed...

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Yes it's my gripe too. I have older Pentax iST-DL and I thought after 5 years they would have fixed the design to address this issue. I bought new one K-r without checking above issue and see that it's working same as old camera....

Few squirt of electric contact cleaner seem to have fixed my e-Dial issue.
Let's see how long it lasts...

Robert
09-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by PastorOfMuppets Quote
Thx Ovim! The spin trick worked for me as well. I just spun it for about 30 seconds back and forth and all is well for the time being. Thanks again.
worked (for now) for me after turning it for about 3 min
09-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #98
Forum Member

I tried the spinning before and it fixed it, but eventually reverted back to the erratic behavior. I recently sprayed some cyclo electrical contact cleaner and then spun the wheel while letting it dry. It now works great and adjusts with every click.

I took the battery out before spraying.

09-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #99
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two weeks after repair and the e-dial has failed again!! :P Going to Walmart to buy spray and try and fix it myself. If that fails, the next step is to get Pentax to replace body. I've been a Pentax supporter for 15 years and am NOT happy.
09-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #100

Photos: Albums
My e-dial has become very jittery, trying to change aperture down it goes 8, 7, 6, then jumps to 22, and so on. Pushing the dial upwards while turning it is a temporary fix, but I'm going to try the contact cleaner solution, would Contact Cleaner Lubricant Spray Can - Jaycar Electronics do the job?
09-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
My e-dial has become very jittery, trying to change aperture down it goes 8, 7, 6, then jumps to 22, and so on. Pushing the dial upwards while turning it is a temporary fix, but I'm going to try the contact cleaner solution, would Contact Cleaner Lubricant Spray Can - Jaycar Electronics do the job?
looks ok if does what it says on the can??
09-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #102
Veteran Member

It does look OK, at a glance. The main thing is to make sure it has a fine tube for applying it, like a WD-40 can. I wouldn't want to use an aerosol spray with a nozzle like a spray paint can on such a tight area. If that's all you have, you may need to protect the rest of the camera while working on it.

You could cut a small hole in a plastic bag, about the size of the e-dial, and then put the camera in the bag with the opening where the dial is. Use some tape to fix the opening around the dial, tie off the bag, and that should protect the camera reasonably well while you apply the cleaner.

I haven't done this, I haven't had any issue with my e-dial yet, but it seems like it should work OK visualizing it. Of course if it has a fine tube applicator, you might want to just forgo all this and give it a squirt.
09-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #103
Forum Member

I paid about $4 for a can of cleaner at Wal-Mart; it was in the automotive section around the fuses and such I believe. Had to put a couple applications on before it finally cleared up, but seems good to go now!
09-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #104

Photos: Albums
Got the can today, gave the dial a bit of a squirt and a good minute of turning and it was working well. Skipped once, so I gave it another squirt and it's been going fine since.
09-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Nice, glad to hear it.