Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Pentax K-r E-dial

Hey guys! My K-r seems to have a problem with its E-dial, and I was wondering if anyone else had this same problem. When I turn my dial to the right, in increases the values as it should. However, when I turn it to the left, it decreases them while sometimes jumping much, much higher. (For instance dialing down from 1/100, then suddenly jumping up to 1/500).

I've already sent my K-r in to get repaired for this problem, and when I got it back the repair slip said they had replaced the electronic board, as there was a problem with it. It worked perfectly! Now, two or so months later it's experiencing the same exact problem and I've hardly even had time to use it considering I've been really busy with my work.

Does anyone have any idea about this problem? It's making me so sad .

Note: My camera has never gotten wet, and sits in my cool, dark room whenever I'm not using it. So I'm not damaging it, it just seems to fail on it's own?

04-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like they didn't repair it properly! I would send it in again before your warranty expires.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Mine is doing the same thing. I am about to send it out for repair. Its annoying. I have heard of a few others with this issue.
04-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Retsiger!

I had the same problem and it was repaired under warranty and haven't had any problems since. But I have seen some posts by K-7 users with the same problem and some were able to "repair" the fault by turning the e-dial constantly for a couple of minutes. I think the explanation offered was too much grease in the e-dial mechanism which caused the erratic behaviour. After the K-r launch there were some reports by users experiencing e-dial glitches and some of those problems went away after some use.

Of course the wisest thing to do would be sending the camera in to be repaired (again) under warranty.

04-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the same problem which also shows up when used to zoom in and out on preview etc.
suppose it will have to go in as well. The repair people in England are a subcontracter to pentax and are so slow.Perhaps I should take it back to the shop I have a feeling it is the best route.
04-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
...and some were able to "repair" the fault by turning the e-dial constantly for a couple of minutes

That actually worked……..
Mine was not responding at all, was stuck at F22 and I dreaded sending the camera for repair….
After reading this post I rotated the dial both directions for good 5 minutes and….it works now just fine. Also noticed that the click sound of the dial is different now, somewhat crispier.
Ovim, a big "Thank You!" for sharing this info.

Last edited by kostadinov; 04-02-2011 at 10:03 AM.
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm glad you got it working

04-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

ok fixed mine I did what a cannon repair centre man told me, go buy a spray tin of electrical contact cleaner and spray a quick burst in the slot the wheel sits in spin it a few times,instant cure, it s just a spot of lube that pentax used when assembling that gets on the contacts.
it can't hurt the camera; it evaporates and if it don't fix it no one will know but you and therefore won't affect warranty if you still need to send it in.
04-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #9

I thought I "fixed" mine this way when I got my k-r last December but the problem re-occurred in a couple weeks. So returned mine for a refund. I suggest that you return or exchange yours for a new body if still possible and if not, send it for warranty repair. Considering how prevalent the problem is, I suspect it is a manufacturing defect. You may temporarily fix the problem, but it may come back again.

QuoteOriginally posted by kostadinov Quote

That actually worked……..
Mine was not responding at all, was stuck at F22 and I dreaded sending the camera for repair….
After reading this post I rotated the dial both directions for good 5 minutes and….it works now just fine. Also noticed that the click sound of the dial is different now, somewhat crispier.
Ovim, a big "Thank You!" for sharing this info.
04-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Me Too

I have the same problem. I tried turning the dial but it got worse. Now the top dial is not working either. Has anyone else had success with this technique?
04-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

I had the same problem too after a couple months of use. Spinning the dial for a long time fixed it temporarily, but it would just start acting up again. Finally sent it in for repair, so now I'm K-r-less for a few more weeks.

I do have a can of contact cleaner, so I'll try that if it messes up again later after my warranty is up. I was afraid it might damage something so I never tried it.
04-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
I had the same problem. I sent it to Pentax Service and they fixed it. I haven't had an issue with it since.

AB
04-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I'd like to solve it for myself because I live in Brazil, so in order to send it for repair, I need to post it to the USA and also need an address in the US, because they don't ship it back to other countries.
04-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #14

Ok, I spun the dial for a few minutes either way. It now works again! Seeing as this isn't that technical of a fix, I am now wondering if I should still send it away for a 'real' fix so this doesn't happen again one day past warranty. The only issue is now that it's working , will Pentax do anything about it even if I send it? Hmmm.
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #15

Original Poster
The temporary "spin-fix" also relieved my K-r's problems, however it did not the first time this happened. I'm a little concerned seeing as this is the second time it's happened to my K-r, and happened again AFTER I had already sent it in under warranty to get it repaired. At least the spinning worked for now though!