Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #1

Helios-44K-4

I bought Pentax k-r before 2 weeks. I has got an old Helios 44K-4 lens, which is with K mount. The lens work prety good on my K-r but I has got 2 problems:

* there is no indication of aperture value in all modes. Instead of number there is -- value.
* function "catch in focus"has not worked too.

All above mentioned problems are only program issues i.e. camera works mechanical very proper whit this lens. I have jumping aperture.

Could somebody help me how to make automatic program to accept this lens for applying aperture value and catch in focus function?

04-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

To use older-style K-mount lenses (without the "A" position on the aperture ring), you need to enable the aperture ring. This is a menu setting and is covered in the camera's manual. Once the aperture ring is enabled, you shoot in M mode using stop-down metering. This is also in the manual, but may not be very prominent!

As for catch-in focus...this is often an issue with older lenses and the solution varies according to the camera body.

Steve

BTW...I have the Helios 44M and really like it!
04-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
I enabled the aperture ring and there is mettering but in M mode value of aperture is alows --. Because lens has jumpig aperture when I meter i use max. opened aperture. During the shot aperture is going to chosen from me value. I corect this with aperture corection but if it is possible i prefer manualy to inform camera for chosen aperture this will be easier for me.

Opttical preview function is not work at all too.
04-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/63878-how-conv...s-ka-lens.html

http://www.robertstech.com/matrix.htm

Re: best pentax dslr for old lenses: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I found some solution for my question. See above.

04-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Good luck, but those links do not contain your answers.

The short, correct, and non-negotiable answers for shooting with your Helios 44K are:
  • Your camera display will NEVER show the aperture the lens is set to. That information is simply not available to the body.
  • You can only meter in M mode and then only with a momentary stop down (i.e. green button metering). Continuous, automatic, metering is not an option.
  • Even if you can trick the body into "thinking" that an "A" series lens is mounted, the coupling arm travel for non-"A" lenses are not linear. As such, the camera cannot accurately control the aperture stop-down.
  • The best you might hope for is to trick the camera into supporting trap-in focus and even then, support is not consistent across Pentax camera models
Believe me, I know. I went over this ground a couple of years back and have answered literally dozens of posts with questions such as yours. Read the RobertsTech page. He puts the truth in a big red box. Read the comments on the PF threads too. They all say the same thing.

Sorry...

Steve
04-10-2011, 02:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you about full information for this case.

It is possible to use above mentioned lens but with restrictions. The lens is without manual mode and it works in one automatic mode i.e. it is imposible to close aperture manualy. If I choose f-stop different from 2 I have to make calculations how to reach proper exposure and to trick camera manualy whith decreasing speed from measured which is not problem but it is not confortable.

I will try to mark the lens as A type in future to see difference and to choose how to use this lens.
04-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I think we might have a little language translation issue here. Here are some summary points:
  • If your 44K is not defective, you should be able to set the aperture using the aperture ring
  • If the aperture ring is enabled in the camera, the body should stop the lens down for exposure when in M mode
  • The body will not stop the lens down in any mode other than M
  • Metering in M mode is done before exposure using the stop-down (green button) method
You can confirm that the lens and body are working together by putting the camera in M mode, setting the shutter for a long exposure, and setting the lens to a narrow aperture. Fire the shutter and look into the front of the lens to confirm that the lens is stopped down.

It is a shame that we can't use Av mode with these lenses. Pentax made a huge mistake by moving away from a body design that supports that feature with the earlier design K-mount lenses. On the other hand, manual metering with a built-in meter was the standard practice in the 1960s through to the mid-1970s and works pretty well. Your flow with the K-x with the 44K is much like how I use my film version KX with similar lenses.

Steve
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
There is no lenguage misunderstanding. The lens is in excellent condition. I am a first owner of this lens. This is first K lens prodused in 1989. Aperture is imputed only by aperture ring but before jumping it is fully opened. When I use green button in M-mode It is possible to measure exposure but in full open stop. It is posible to use the lens in Av mode too. In this mode measuring is auto and give me directly speed but for open aperture.
In original Zenit value of F-stop is transmited to camera mechanical. There is no option to use lens in manual mode because stop is always in jumping mode.
There is no problem for using this lens but it is no comfortable to recalculete speed if aperture is not 2. This is possible only in M mode.

04-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
The main problem is that my camera does not close aperture(stop down or jump) in metering mode. The measure is always for full open f-stop. The reason of that is in construction of this lens. If it is not mounted on camera the aperture is fully opened.

I posted in this forum to check whether my camera works in proper way. I read in manual that when I use grean button as optic preview the lens has to stop down during metering but this is not happened. I read many posts and I am sure that K-r works in this way.
04-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by icoicov1963 Quote
The reason of that is in construction of this lens. If it is not mounted on camera the aperture is fully opened.
Your lens aperture mechanism appears to be broken. K-mount lenses should stop down to the set aperture when not on the camera.

Steve
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
Dear Steve,

I detect where is a problem. I saw that camera work in diferent way if some of pins on camera mount is shortcuted. Then camera start to work with stoping down in metering mode i.e. when grean button is used. might be the lens body did not make any contact with camera pins on moun and K-r is work in mode without stop down measure of aperture.

In future when I will have enough time I am going to solve the problem - there is 2 possibities: a. to make one shortcuted pin and to work with stop down metering; b. to try how lens work as A type lens this case is possible if I shortcut A pin. i saw that in this case my body show all I need on screan.

Your help was very important for me to solve problem. I will try this lens on other k-r bodies and I will try other such kind of manual lenses on my camera. I wait to receive an adapter about my old FD lenses but I am not sure that they will work with juping stop. It is possible to buy a 28 A type lens ore something else in future.
04-24-2011, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Name:  sliva.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  52.4 KB

I sticked to back of lens small brass piece which is over camera pins and now it is possible to use lens as it is discrided in manual.

Last edited by icoicov1963; 04-24-2011 at 09:13 AM.